Free roaming (mostly) alone for one week?

May 2, 2021
Media
Albums
Vermont, USA
Parrots
Stormy(M): blue Australian budgie
Picasso(F): green Australian budgie
Apollo(F): sky blue dominant pied Australian budgie
Sooooo, my family and I are going on a vacation for a week, out-of-state. We have a great pet-sitter, she's 14-15 (I forgot), a family friend, and super caring and empathetic. I 100% trust her with the birds, HOWEVER, the birds would have to be free-roaming my room the whole time we're on vacation. I only have small sleeping cages, so caging them isn't an option, and I don't want to stress them or anything.

I usually leave them alone 8-10 hours a day, 5 times a week during the school year. They free roam, they're fine. Of course, I would get new kebabs and other shreddables before we left so they could have enrichment. Is this actually a bad idea? I don't want to endanger them in any way, but keeping them somewhere else isn't an option, as I would need a large cage, which I can't afford.

Vampiric_Conure

May 16, 2022
Media
Albums
Winnipeg, Manitoba, Canada
Parrots
Charlie (M) - 23 yrs - Peach Front Conure
Redshift (M)-22yrs - normal Cockatiel
Moon (M) - 2 ys - wf pied cockatiel
Chara (F)- 1 yr - wf pied cockatiel
I've done it! It works, though you'd reeeeaaaalllly have to bird proof your room so they don't get into trouble while you're gone. And having a bird sitter is a good idea. I'm sure they'll update you on their shenanigans :)

Flboy

Dec 28, 2014
Greater Orlando area, Florida
Parrots
JoJo, 'Special' GCC, Bongo, Cinnamon GCC(wife's)
Remember, the moment your sitter opens the door, they will dart out!
If there is some way to hang a curtain over your door, you can use this as an entrance chamber!
A pressure spring rod would work great! Or hooks mounted above the door in the topside of the trim, where the holes won’t show!

NancieG

Jun 20, 2022
Media
Ebensburg, PA
Parrots
2 Blue & Gold Macaw, 1 Green front Amazon, 2 Cockatiels
I love that suggestion and definitely is worth the time! Safety is most important! I'm struggling to find a sitter in my town for vacation week, any suggestions on how to find a bird care giver?

OP
π•Ύπ–™π–”π–—π–’π–žπ•»π–Žπ–ˆπ–†
May 2, 2021
Media
Albums
Vermont, USA
Parrots
Stormy(M): blue Australian budgie
Picasso(F): green Australian budgie
Apollo(F): sky blue dominant pied Australian budgie
Remember, the moment your sitter opens the door, they will dart out!
If there is some way to hang a curtain over your door, you can use this as an entrance chamber!
A pressure spring rod would work great! Or hooks mounted above the door in the topside of the trim, where the holes won’t show!
I don't think so... I can keep my room open all day and they won't come out. They have a fair amount of space and a ton of enrichment, so I don't think they feel the need to. Anyhow, I will be putting a string curtain or something similar over my doorway just in case :)

Most Reactions

Latest posts