Friday shopping mania participation??

Scott

Supporting Member
Aug 21, 2010
San Diego, California USA, Earth, Milky Way Galaxy
Parrots
Goffins: Gabby, Abby, Squeaky, Peanut, Popcorn / Citron: Alice / Eclectus: Angel /Timneh Grey: ET / Blue Fronted Amazon: Gonzo /

RIP Gandalf and Big Bird, you are missed.
The LAST place I'll be Friday* is at the malls or other shopping venues. I have friends and relatives who carefully plan their itinerary with the hope of scoring major deals. Nothing wrong with this, but fighting crowds is just not my cup of tea!

Share your strategies or feel free to vent your disbelief at the hyped sales that will be repeated ad nauseum until early January.

*For those outside the U.S, the day after Thanksgiving is a major and I mean epic shopping day for the December holidays. Stores open early, some around 0600 or earlier!

Last edited:

JerseyWendy

Jul 20, 2012
THANK YOU, Scott, for bringing this up! It's (another) sore subject for me. I believe in 'family time'. IMO there isn't enough of it. (Anyone who wants to call me 'old fashioned - watch out!!!) :54:

IMO, when 'items' suddenly can be reduced by 'xyz' amount, and businesses are obviously still making money of those items, then they were clearly overpriced in the first place!

I HATE crowds! I hate pushy people. My son showed me a video of a guy who's been camping out in front of a "Best Buy" store for nearly a week, waiting for Black Friday. Say WHAAAT??? :30:

Well, this year one of the 'ads' grabbed my husband's attention. So much so that he AND my son will be in one of those lines tonight. Good luck to them. My butt isn't leaving this house. :D

RavensGryf

Supporting Member
Jan 19, 2014
College Station, Texas
Parrots
Red Bellied Parrot /
Ruppell's Parrot /
Bronze Winged Pionus /
English Budgie
I hear you. I find the whole "Black Friday" thing is disgusting to me also. People must find fighting against the crowds "fun" because I say if you can afford to shop and get a bunch of stuff in the first place, you can probably afford to pay a little more and get it when there is not a huge rabid mob of people fighting for the items too! Then you always see on the news how people get in physical fights, get arrested and such, when all they planned to do was go shopping!

JerseyWendy

Jul 20, 2012
I almost feel obligated to give an update here. My 'guys' are already back from the Black Friday madness. Well, I'm the first to admit that they made out like bandits. We (our family) has a common interest/hobby, and I'd lie if I said they just didn't save us a LOT of cashola. :11: I thanked them both for it.

I know where we'll be this weekend. And we'll be having a whole lotta fun together! :D

I'm grateful for not having to pick a number!!!! :32:

RavensGryf

Supporting Member
Jan 19, 2014
College Station, Texas
Parrots
Red Bellied Parrot /
Ruppell's Parrot /
Bronze Winged Pionus /
English Budgie
Glad they got what they wanted Wendy :) and they didn't even need to camp out overnight LOL.

Pinkbirdy

Feb 26, 2013
Clifton Springs Newyork
Parrots
macaw,LS2,congo grey,2Blk Hd caiques,Hawkhead,yellowstrk lory,Blue frnt amazon,sun conure ,Yellow sided greencheek ,Goffin ,Rosebreasted Cockatoo,Greenwing Macaw,Blue and Gold Macaw,Nanday conure,Ecle
I work [have no interest]. So my coworkers can go.

DexMom

Jul 18, 2015
New Jersey
Parrots
Dexter, SI Eclectus
When I was younger I didn't mind the crowds so much and went shopping a few times on black friday. Now that I'm older I can't deal with all the people, all the waiting in line and all the nastiness spewing out of shoppers, so I do the vast majority of my holiday shopping online. I probably pay more than if I stalked the b.f. sales and shopped more strategically, but I consider the extra money to be "sanity tax."

StephenAndKyleigh

Jul 29, 2015
Dallas, TX
Parrots
Kyleigh, B&G Macaw -
Peanut, Yellow Collar Mini Macaw -
Aaliyah, Green Wing Macaw
I figured I would utilize the crowds for socialization with Kyleigh......

Kidding, sort of. I'm staying home in sweats all day.

Allee

Oct 27, 2013
Media
Texas
Parrots
U2-Poppy(Poppy lives with her new mommy, Misty now) CAG-Jack, YNA, Bingo, Budgie-Piper, Cockatiel-Sweet Pea Quakers-Harry, Sammy, Wilson ***Zeke (quaker) Twinkle (budgie) forever in our hearts
I used to go shopping with friends the day after Thanksgiving but that was years ago and the crowds weren't as hostile.

It bothered me a lot this year that I heard much more hype for Friday shopping than the actual holiday on the day before. The commercialization of all our holidays makes me a little sick. The aggressive advertising makes me angry, I refuse to give them my money, the normally astronomical prices lowered to attract consumers make me furious, the angry crowds make me mad enough to kick something. I'm staying home tomorrow.

David, what kind of diet are you on? Unless it's none of my business, in that case, I apologize for being nosey.

Aquila

Nov 19, 2012
Philadelphia
Parrots
Sydney - Blue Front Amazon
Gonzo - Congo African Grey
Willow - Cockatiel
RIP:
Snowy, Ivy, Kiwi, Ghost - Parakeets
Berry - Cinnamon GCC
This is the first year in a while I'm not working (unemployed) on black friday, but I know I'm not going anywhere tomorrow besides maybe Wawa to get some creamer for my coffee.

I'll be sitting in bed, on my laptop, doing my shopping online. :)

Doublete

Mar 15, 2015
Maryland
Parrots
"Loki" turquoise GCC 1/4/15 hatch date-- "Chiqui" amazon 9/2010 hatch date---- "Banner" green parrotlet hatchdate 11/22/16

RIP "pineapple" lovebird
I went in the mall tonight after work... The restaurant is attached to a large mall.. We "closed" at 8. But we didn't leave till 11. Group close nobody could leave til the mess was not a mess anymore lol.

So anyways I went to bath and body works and sephora just because I wanted to treat myself. And I had intentions of going to
Victoria's Secret but NO WAY. At 1145 they had a line wrapping several times and they were opening at midnight. no freaking way.
I stopped at kohls which is open all night and did not see any deals to write home about.

But I also have every gadget I could desire.
I think Black Friday shopping is great for people with kids, in need of appliances, electronics, etc.

Minimaker

Jul 29, 2014
Illinois
Parrots
GW Macaw-Sailor, Goffins Cockatoo Mako, GC Conure-Tazzy, Turquoise Conure Yuki, Budgies-Percy, Annabeth, Elsa
I do the online black Friday deals only now. The only thing I bought this year was a Playstation 4 bundle pack for my son's girlfriend as a Christmas gift. I shopped for everyone else way in advance so now I only have to worry about little stocking stuffer things. Online is the way to go, we went one time because my husband wanted to and I said never again. The people here are actually polite and the whole thing is very civilized. Everyone says excuse me and I'm sorry, etc. But waiting outside in the cold was what did it for me. And the fact that movement through the stores is very slow due to the amount of people in there at one time.

OP
Scott

Scott

Supporting Member
Aug 21, 2010
San Diego, California USA, Earth, Milky Way Galaxy
Parrots
Goffins: Gabby, Abby, Squeaky, Peanut, Popcorn / Citron: Alice / Eclectus: Angel /Timneh Grey: ET / Blue Fronted Amazon: Gonzo /

RIP Gandalf and Big Bird, you are missed.

Kyoto

Mar 18, 2015
Media
Halifax, NS, Canada
Parrots
Kyoto (AKA Kyo)-Green Cheek Conure
Charlie - Canary
Tommy - Budgie
Sunny - budgie
It's just starting to become a think here on the east coast of canada…. I personally don't like the idea of it. More time for accidents and issues to happen.

Dinosrawr

Aug 15, 2013
Saskatoon, SK, Canada
Parrots
Avery, a GCC born on March 5th, 2013 & Shiko, a blue IRN born on February 25th, 2014
Yep, Black Friday can bite my toosh. I couldn't care less, and neither could most of my family or my SO and his family. We all stayed at home today aside from work. In Canada it's just starting to become a "big" thing, but it's generally not too crazy. I'm also not the kind of person who steps foot in the mall during December because of crazy Christmas shoppers... I do most of it online if I can.

I'm totally with Stephen... sweat pants and hot cocoa beats crazy mall shopping any day.

ruffledfeathers

Aug 23, 2012
Media
NJ
Parrots
Gilbert Oliver, Blue Crown Conure; Georgie, Sun Conure (2/8/01-8/8/12) RIP little girl; Percy, budgie 1993-1999. RIP Pepito-spanish timbrado canary
I think some people "like" it, the 'drama' and 'excitement' of it. I have friends who say 'oh that's part of the holiday spirit, waiting in huge crowds to try to get one item.'
NOT my cup of tea.
Interesting to know that some people really do score big savings.....but I'd probably need to be sedated to endure it. hahaha
I haven't even done any Cyber Monday shopping. And online shopping IS more my style.

Most Reactions

Latest posts