Friend for my lovie

RescueMe

Mar 28, 2012
King George, VA
Parrots
"Sparky" the Blue and gold macaw, "Jax" Red fronted macaw, and "Little Bird" peach faced lovebird
So my lovebird is not hand tame and while I try to give her the best environment possible, she has zero desire to be around people. She was inherited from my fiance's kids, their mother bought her for them, then she didn't want her in the house anymore. I am considering getting another lovebird to share her life with her, it doesn't have to be tame, but that would be nice. I am not planning on caging them together, at least not initially and am looking into the a and e double flight cage. What do you think? :orange:

Joeyx

Mar 15, 2012
Parrots
Birdie (BFA), Cloud (Lovebird)
i think that's a great idea. get a lovie for her but quarantine it first to rule out any
diseases. then put them each in their own cage but in the same room for a while
then try to introduce them to each other. they miiiight fight, or they might like
each other.

OP
R

RescueMe

Mar 28, 2012
King George, VA
Parrots
"Sparky" the Blue and gold macaw, "Jax" Red fronted macaw, and "Little Bird" peach faced lovebird
Yeah thats my thought process too. My only real concern is finding a female, since I don't want to breed. I would love to have a hand tame baby, but then DNA testing gets expensive and takes a while, I'm not sure the breeders will be willing to have it done on such an inexpensive bird. I am looking into a rescue, but most of them are also of unknown sex or are already in a pair.

Oedipussrex

Jun 3, 2012
Australia
Parrots
Charlie - Galah
I dont know how reliable this method is, (but i did end up with two pairs like he said i would), a breeder i know claims he can sex them by feeling the width of their pelvic area. though i cant remember how and where which sex is supposed to be wider and thinner. but you might be able to find out. :)

OP
R

RescueMe

Mar 28, 2012
King George, VA
Parrots
Thanks, I hope to find a bird that is already sexed, but we shall see. If anyone knows about one, let me know. I have a hard time though because I have found a beautiful teal white face that is adorable for $65.00

Most Reactions