From the Hummingbird to the "Terrifying Lizard King": My story.

saurian

Sep 26, 2019
My room. 24/7.
Parrots
Mister, Budgie, 2008-17
I have always had an interest in birds. I believe this may have come from the fact that my place of residence, SE England, is home to and welcomes many species every year. Wherever I used to go on my holidays, I would make note of the different birds that I saw. From the Southwest's Seagulls to Scotland's Albatross. My love for avian creatures really began when my dad told me that we have native, feral Parakeets in our area, who must have adapted to the climate, seeing as they're here all year round. I would, and still do, spend hours looking at them. In fact, as I write this, my ears are being blessed with their beautiful, distinctive melodies.

I've always been quite proud to say that my garden is the home to a beautiful group of birds. I can see them now, with their green feathers and red beaks. I have a name for this larger- and quite fat- one. Jack. He's always seemingly perched on a tree near my window.

My grandmother had a whole collection of budgies in her own garden in tent. I loved them all, but especially my own one. Ben 10! We had hours of fun together. I would go downstairs and see him every morning. I'd whisper secrets to him, and he would chirp back. He would make me feel like I was the happiest boy on Earth. My special little Bennie. When the news was broken to me one day that the cage had broken and they had all apparently flown away, I was heartbroken. To add to that, my family's Golden Retriever died that same day. I miss them both. Ben 10 and Sam Dog. Wherever they may be.

Anyway. As I became more and more interested in our flying friends, my parents knew that little four year old Saurian would soon be thinking about asking for one of his very own. But I wasn't entirely convinced. That was, until, I distinctly remember the closing line of a documentary. "...birds. It is safe to call them... Living Dinosaurs." That was it! I was stunned. Soon after that, we went on a trip to the lovely county of Somerset. I remember it quite well. It was pouring with rain, and we turned right into this very old looking building.

It was a sight to behold. Budgies upon budgies. All of them, looking at me! I wanted them all! Specifically this small fat chap. I still think about him. It was the best experience of that whole holiday and the only part of it I remember. I was truly happy, and I don't know why.

Christmas Eve of that same year. My brother put on a whole season of the Simpsons into the VHS for me, and I was alone with it all evening. Almost eleven years on, I know why. He was trying to sneak a package upstairs. One that could make a lot of noise. Amazingly, it didn't. Not until it was opened. The next morning, I came downstairs to find a cage on the floor. And inside of it was... A Budgie! I was quickly pressured for a name. Think, Connor, think! "Oh, erm... Mister! Mister the Budgie!" His name became sort of a running joke.

The more I think of it, Mister was probably a consolation present for the losses of Ben 10 and Sam Dog.

In June 2009, my childhood hero passed away. Michael Jackson. I was lost. He was my idol. I would dress like him, tape my fingers, watch his videos all day... As I sat in front of the TV screen, in tears, I heard something. Chirping. Suddenly, I turned around. "Oh, hello Mister...". Perhaps I wasn't alone after all. I was never alone when he was around.

I have to stop writing now because I'm getting a bit teared up. I thought he would be alive forever. I'll always regret not getting out of bed to intervene when he was being handled... It still hurts and I feel like nobody understands why.

Tami2

Aug 18, 2017
New Jersey
Parrots
Levi - 6 yr old CAG

DOH-4/2/2016
Thank you for sharing, I am very sorry for your loss.

My bird story also started with my local residents. I started buying feeders, as my husband started building birdhouses. Then, he bought me a Nikon DSLR. The transformation began, I became a total and complete Bird Nerd.

However, Levi's story started with my son falling in love with the 'Paulie' movie. My son's reaction to that movie planted the seed, for one day getting our family a parrot, aka, living dinosaur. And my son does refer to Levi as a dinosaur.

OP
saurian

saurian

Sep 26, 2019
My room. 24/7.
Parrots
Mister, Budgie, 2008-17
Thank you for sharing, I am very sorry for your loss.

My bird story also started with my local residents. I started buying feeders, as my husband started building birdhouses. Then, he bought me a Nikon DSLR. The transformation began, I became a total and complete Bird Nerd.

However, Levi's story started with my son falling in love with the 'Paulie' movie. My son's reaction to that movie planted the seed, for one day getting our family a parrot, aka, living dinosaur. And my son does refer to Levi as a dinosaur.
I love this forum.

AmyMyBlueFront

Apr 14, 2015
Media
Connecticut
Parrots
Amy a Blue Front 'Zon
Jonesy a Goffins 'Too who had to be rehomed :-(

And a Normal Grey Cockatiel named BB who came home with me on 5/20/2016.
My affection for the Avian World also began when I was a young lad..55 years ago-give or take lol. I also had many bird feeders and houses all around the yard and would watch all day. Winter time was amazing with the fresh white snow and dozens of cardinals and blue jays and finches and the like against the pure white snow. Then came Wally the budgie at 14 yrs old...and it all went downhill after that! :eek::04:

Jim

bug_n_flock

Jan 2, 2018
Isolated Holler in the Appalachian Wilderness
Parrots
B&G Macaw, Galah, 5 cockatiels, 50 billion and a half budgies. We breed and do rescue. Too many to list each individual's name and age etc, but they are each individuals and loved dearly.
Tweety was my first. A little budgie hen I got when I was around 8 years old. I still have budgies today and I hope I always do. They are wonderful little dinos.

I think someone was stealth chopping onions near me as I read your post......

OP
saurian

saurian

Sep 26, 2019
My room. 24/7.
Parrots
Mister, Budgie, 2008-17
Tweety was my first. A little budgie hen I got when I was around 8 years old. I still have budgies today and I hope I always do. They are wonderful little dinos.

I think someone was stealth chopping onions near me as I read your post......
It's soothing to know somebody out there knows how I feel. Thank you.

Most Reactions

Latest posts