Fun things to do with little guys? And how to make my room more interactive and fun for them?

May 2, 2021
Media
Albums
Vermont, USA
Parrots
Stormy(M): blue Australian budgie
Picasso(F): green Australian budgie
Apollo(F): sky blue dominant pied Australian budgie
So, I'm out of ideas of what to do with the little guys (budgies), and I need your help! I barely spend any time with them, since they quickly get bored of games and training is hard with 3 birds. Plus, it's winter, so no outside stuff. So what should I do with them??? Any ideas welcome. They love seed, being crazy, and dance parties (Although there's only a limited amount of songs I know, and it all depends on their mood. Classic parrots.), and I give them plenty of seed, and make sure to have a dance party at least once a day.

Again, any ideas welcome. I really want to strengthen my bond with them. Thanks!

Also, any recommendations to make my room as fun and engaging for them as possible are very welcome! I want my room to be more interactive and fun, I'm going to add some plants, but what else? Preferably things that don't cost a lot. Thanks!

ravvlet

Jun 25, 2019
Seattle WA
Parrots
Kirby - OWA, 33yrs old (2019-)
Broccoli - Dusky Conure - 3?mo old (July 2023 -)
~~~
(Rehomed) Sammy - YNA, 45 yrs old (2022-2023)
(RIP) Cricket - Cockatiel (2019-2022)
You can get untreated jute (sisal) rope and make them nets that you can drape from the ceiling. If you’ve got bird-safe trees in your area you can also start harvesting small branches, disinfect them, and bake them in the oven to create new perches. Hmm, you could also (if you have narrow spaces) put tension rods up and drape toys off them.

OP
π•Ύπ–™π–”π–—π–’π–žπ•»π–Žπ–ˆπ–†
May 2, 2021
Media
Albums
Vermont, USA
Parrots
You can get untreated jute (sisal) rope and make them nets that you can drape from the ceiling. If you’ve got bird-safe trees in your area you can also start harvesting small branches, disinfect them, and bake them in the oven to create new perches. Hmm, you could also (if you have narrow spaces) put tension rods up and drape toys off them.
Thanks! Any idea of what to do with them?

ravvlet

Jun 25, 2019
Seattle WA
Parrots
Kirby - OWA, 33yrs old (2019-)
Broccoli - Dusky Conure - 3?mo old (July 2023 -)
~~~
(Rehomed) Sammy - YNA, 45 yrs old (2022-2023)
(RIP) Cricket - Cockatiel (2019-2022)
Thanks! Any idea of what to do with them?
Kirby is not much of a do-with bird unfortunately; Cricket was, but what we mostly did was put him in his backpack and take him out when we went to get coffee etc. Actually, Kirby loves going to the grocery store. I don’t know that small birds would enjoy that much though!

I haven’t had a budgie since I was 7, and I had no idea what I was doing back then (although the lingering guilt from being a terrible bird owner back then is what kept me interested in doing better and learning more)!

Sorry that I don’t have anything helpful to suggest! I mostly work while Kirby plays with toys or chats with/at me, and if he really wants attention he climbs down to his small playstand and gets scritches or does goofy stuff. Cricket (the tiel) would fly and sit on my Nintendo switch and whistle with me while I played games, heh. He also enjoyed trying to eat my fingers when I was typing or sitting on my controller and chewing on the joysticks.

wrench13

Staff member
Super Moderator
Parrot of the Month πŸ†
Nov 22, 2015
Media
Albums
Isle of Long, NY
Parrots
Yellow Shoulder Amazon, Salty
Foraging for treats is a good boredom breaker. We roll some pine nut pieces into a long length of paper towel, like one would roll a hand made cigarette , and then weave it in and out of the cage bars. We hang papertowel and toilet paper tubes, with one end crushed up and hide treats in there, and hang them from Salty's play chain. We hang a lot of his toys from that chain and change them around often. Coffee stirring sticks (free from any 7-11 or other places) bundled together with a rubber band and a treat hidden inside are good foraging toys that dont cost a lot. Use your imagination!

OP
π•Ύπ–™π–”π–—π–’π–žπ•»π–Žπ–ˆπ–†
May 2, 2021
Media
Albums
Vermont, USA
Parrots
Foraging for treats is a good boredom breaker. We roll some pine nut pieces into a long length of paper towel, like one would roll a hand made cigarette , and then weave it in and out of the cage bars. We hang papertowel and toilet paper tubes, with one end crushed up and hide treats in there, and hang them from Salty's play chain. We hang a lot of his toys from that chain and change them around often. Coffee stirring sticks (free from any 7-11 or other places) bundled together with a rubber band and a treat hidden inside are good foraging toys that dont cost a lot. Use your imagination!
Yes, they have tons of foraging toys! Maybe I should get them a chain, they might like that... and some more seagrass mats.

zERo

Staff member
Super Moderator
Dec 9, 2021
Media
Texas
Parrots
Tony-Green QP(M)
Tom-Pineapple GCC(M)
Milly- Sparrow (F)
Hmm, lets see...

You could try a stainless steel skewer for kabobing veggies? Another things, oat sprays! My budgies go nuts for them! They sell them at Petsmart.
I've been thinking about getting one of those fake grass mats and sprinkling some seed in there? Could be a success!
You could try getting one of the calcium perches that are shaped like cholla wood and stuff the millet 'bites' in the holes, all of my birds have one of those perches, they love chewing on them too!
That's all I can think right now! I'll add more if anything comes to mind! 😊

Most Reactions