Funny dance or something else?

MissMac

Dec 2, 2021
Media
Albums
Parrots
Females, Lutino Indian Ringneck Missy and Silver Lavender IRN Gracie.
Newbie here. I have a hand reared (me) 2 month old Indian Ringneck called Missy. She is weaning, I am just giving her the neo formula for a supplement to her last meal of the day. I just noticed she does this odd sort of neck circling thing when she is eating it. She hoes into it so I know she wants it, but the odd neck sort of circling thing is new.... does she have an issue or is she just happy to get this food? It's not that she is hungry as she eats well. She loves peas (not the shells) and corn (again not in the shell) and boiled egg (I find this weird) and fruit but clearly this isn't a stable full nutritional diet so I will need further help with that... I will search the forum first tho, I am just asking about the neck circling thing first.

Attachments

• WIN_20211118_08_56_36_Pro.jpg
    WIN_20211118_08_56_36_Pro.jpg
    134.7 KB · Views: 86

Zoruace

Sep 21, 2021
Media
Albums
A v
Newbie here. I have a hand reared (me) 2 month old Indian Ringneck called Missy. She is weaning, I am just giving her the neo formula for a supplement to her last meal of the day. I just noticed she does this odd sort of neck circling thing when she is eating it. She hoes into it so I know she wants it, but the odd neck sort of circling thing is new.... does she have an issue or is she just happy to get this food? It's not that she is hungry as she eats well. She loves peas (not the shells) and corn (again not in the shell) and boiled egg (I find this weird) and fruit but clearly this isn't a stable full nutritional diet so I will need further help with that... I will search the forum first tho, I am just asking about the neck circling thing first.
A video can help
Btw beautiful bird!

OP
MissMac

MissMac

Dec 2, 2021
Media
Albums
Parrots
A v

A video can help
Btw beautiful bird!
I will try but she has a funny love of my phone... she stops what she's doing and goes all coy... I think she wants to be a social media influencer... real poser...

ctwo

May 16, 2019
Parrots
Mango the Indian Ringneck and Peach the Cockatiel; Kiwi found a new home
I will give you a guess on this neck circling thing...they are Ringnecks!

But seriously, when I give mine some naughty-ish food, like banana bread, he will take his bites and kind of stretch his neck and swirl his head around - my take is that he's packing his crop for later enjoyment because he knows it's not gonna last. Oh, if he gets a big chunk he knows I'm libel to take it away, so he'll turn away and start to gobble it down.

OP
MissMac

MissMac

Dec 2, 2021
Media
Albums
Parrots
I will give you a guess on this neck circling thing...they are Ringnecks!

But seriously, when I give mine some naughty-ish food, like banana bread, he will take his bites and kind of stretch his neck and swirl his head around - my take is that he's packing his crop for later enjoyment because he knows it's not gonna last. Oh, if he gets a big chunk he knows I'm libel to take it away, so he'll turn away and start to gobble it down.
Yeah I think it's her little sort of happy dance?? She doesn't do it all the time when eating tho. Haven't seen her do it lately.
She has a thing for shiny....typical woman. Atm it's large shiny metal buttons.... she does the regurgitating thing to it... again not all the time. I'm not sure what the change is. I have them on my lounge cushions and I have some loose that have come off the cushion. Either ones she does it to. They're about 2cm in diameter and heavy metal (rawk on). Her eyes dilate too.

Emeral

Sep 16, 2021
Parrots
Hanhs Macaw
Since she doesn't speak human, we may have to understand her from her body language......

This link mentioned that.....

• Regurgitating: Regurgitation is the expulsion of contents from the mouth, esophagus, or crop. If your bird pins her eyes, bobs her head and stretches out her neck, then regurgitates her dinner, she is showing you a great deal of affection. Birds feed their young by regurgitating food and breeding pairs often do this for each other as a part of bonding.

OP
MissMac

MissMac

Dec 2, 2021
Media
Albums
Parrots
Since she doesn't speak human, we may have to understand her from her body language......

This link mentioned that.....

• Regurgitating: Regurgitation is the expulsion of contents from the mouth, esophagus, or crop. If your bird pins her eyes, bobs her head and stretches out her neck, then regurgitates her dinner, she is showing you a great deal of affection. Birds feed their young by regurgitating food and breeding pairs often do this for each other as a part of bonding.
Thank you for that, was interesting reading. I am now thinking that she simply loves her bling... such a female thing. Her saying "Buy me a gold button(?), and I'm yours". She hasn't gone thru the regurg. thing to me tho as she does the beak grinding thing to me and a little soft "talk", that she only ever does when we have a cuddle session.

Most Reactions

Latest posts