Funny Macaw stories

Cindylynn

Parrot of the Month 🏆
Apr 7, 2022
Media
Albums
When Pancho gets into something I don't want him into, I say "eh-eh" and quickly remove him. Well, he was just trying to remove a button from my shirt and I went to get him and the little 💩 told me "eh-eh" and proceeded to attempt button removal. People think I'm joking when I tell them having a macaw is like having a toddler. But it's true...back-talk and all!!

Mar 23, 2023
Parrots
Green Wing - Maxine
Conure - Apple
The blue throat I used to have started calling everyone "asshole". Neither I nor my wife use the word very often, so we weren't all that sure how he picked it up.

I thought it was funny as hell.

SailBoat

Supporting Member
Jul 10, 2015
Western, Michigan
Parrots
DYH Amazon
The blue throat I used to have started calling everyone "asshole". Neither I nor my wife use the word very often, so we weren't all that sure how he picked it up.

I thought it was funny as hell.
Macaw's love it when they get a response, either good or bad, It does not matter. And, it this case, it is like that your Mac gets a big response!!

highAZheat

Dec 11, 2023
Parrots
Cockatiel (previously)
I've loved reading these macaw stories! I have never owned a macaw, but am hoping for a Scarlet later this year.

Anyway, a lot of posts mention the macaw "laughing." This may be a naive question, but is this laughter actually the bird laughing because they are being silly and think it's funny, or are they just imitating human laughter? Or is a combination of both? I have always heard how "spirited" and humorous macaws can be (big part of the appeal to me), but have never heard of laughing unless they were imitating someone (which is hilarious in itself).

Any thoughts on this from macaw owners?

sunbeam

Feb 5, 2024
Media
Parrots
Blue and Yellow Macaw
Budgies
Green cheek conures
We just added a blue and yellow macaw to our family. We have had him for a week now and he has definitely not disappointed!
I had absolutely no idea how amazing these birds are!
When we got him (Sun Beam) we were under the impression he just laughed and sing a little. Well, that was completely false!
I was piddling around the house and heard my dog barking to come in. I had forgot he went outside.
When I went to let the dog back in, I noticed my dog was in fact on his couch! Then, the barking started again, it was Sun Beam. He was on top of his cage growling and barking at the dog!
He actually says a lot of things, and my favorite is when he asks me what I am doing!! So cute!
20240204_172747.jpg

SailBoat

Supporting Member
Jul 10, 2015
Western, Michigan
Parrots
DYH Amazon
I've loved reading these macaw stories! I have never owned a macaw, but am hoping for a Scarlet later this year.

Anyway, a lot of posts mention the macaw "laughing." This may be a naive question, but is this laughter actually the bird laughing because they are being silly and think it's funny, or are they just imitating human laughter? Or is a combination of both? I have always heard how "spirited" and humorous macaws can be (big part of the appeal to me), but have never heard of laughing unless they were imitating someone (which is hilarious in itself).

Any thoughts on this from macaw owners?
Macaws are, especially the big ones are very smart and laughing can be the full gamut as you have listed to sometimes, laughing at you.

I my opinion far too many folks fall in love with this joyous group of Large parrots and tend to buy because they want one!! The big Amazons and likewise Macaw's are the last Parrots that one would want to start a relationship from that standpoint! Both can and are big Lovers, they also can cause very serious injuries that commonly require medical intervention!!

Of the large Parrot series they are not at the top of the list of rehomed parrots, but they are right near the top!! Commonly, rehomed by someone that was not prepared to care, interact, let alone afford their costs, including Avian Medical Care!! Not understanding the need to allow the Macaw to Choose You and to understand what those indicators even are is a nightmare waiting to find a place to happen.

If you want a Big Macaw, I would recommend that you start at a Parrot Recuse and work long and hard for FREE for a minimum of 6 months washing out cages, cleaning-up bird poop and feeding the Parrots.. If one finds you of interest, you may just get luck!

bocabill

Nov 27, 2020
Media
Boca Raton, FL
Parrots
African Grey male (since 1981) and two Scarlet Macaw sibling brothers (since May 2020)
More pics.

Attachments

• IMG_0884.jpeg
    IMG_0884.jpeg
    214.5 KB · Views: 7
  • IMG_1605.jpeg
    IMG_1605.jpeg
    266.6 KB · Views: 7
  • IMG_1601.jpeg
    IMG_1601.jpeg
    264.3 KB · Views: 7

bocabill

Nov 27, 2020
Media
Boca Raton, FL
Parrots
African Grey male (since 1981) and two Scarlet Macaw sibling brothers (since May 2020)
Scottie & Louie the twin Scarlet Macaw brothers with their daddy.

Attachments

• IMG_2212.jpeg
    IMG_2212.jpeg
    444 KB · Views: 8
  • IMG_2211.jpeg
    IMG_2211.jpeg
    444.8 KB · Views: 8

Most Reactions

Latest posts