Gaining weight after cutting seeds

ravvlet

Jun 25, 2019
Seattle WA
Parrots
Kirby - OWA, 33yrs old (2019-)
Broccoli - Dusky Conure - 3?mo old (July 2023 -)
~~~
(Rehomed) Sammy - YNA, 45 yrs old (2022-2023)
(RIP) Cricket - Cockatiel (2019-2022)
Itā€™s all in the title. We have been giving Sammy NO seeds, a mix of veg and pellet in the AM (TOPS, Harrisonā€™s and Roudybush) and then a bowl of pellet in the afternoon.

Sheā€™s up from 560 to 585 g this week!!

The vet suggested possibly getting foraging toys but also seemed stumped. What the heck?! Before we got her she was eating seeds and ignoring her pellet (Roudybush) and we only eliminated the seed once we were sure she was eating pellets.

Itā€™s absurd, lol. I am not even giving her that much. In the morning she gets a tablespoon each of TOPS, Harrisonā€™s and Roudybush with the veg, and she doesnā€™t eat all of the pellet (and still isnā€™t fond of the veg). In the afternoon she gets the same ratio/mix of pellet but no veg (although I may start putting a second bowl with just veggies).

She doesnā€™t usually finish her second bowl of pellet either. I am flabbergasted.

Owlet

Oct 27, 2016
Colorado
Parrots
Lincoln (Eclectus), Apollo (Cockatiel), Aster (GCC)
more weight doesnt always mean unhealthy. I dont know the specifics of your bird so it's hard for me to make the judgement. has she been more active since making the switch? sometimes a better diet will have them be more active and possibly putting on muscle rather than fat. does she fly? I would definitely recommend foraging toys for her pellets though. it never hurts.

SailBoat

Supporting Member
Jul 10, 2015
Western, Michigan
Parrots
DYH Amazon
Not at all surprised as the pellets you are feeding are all fortified. If you compare the food value of a limited cross-section of market place seed vs. the pellets, adding weight is highly likely! In addition, seed tends too cause the digestive system to move quickly, where pellets tend to move at a bit slower rate, which results in the body picking-up more energy /weight.

We use a high-quality wide-spectrum seed, grain, nut (no Sunflower or Peanut) base with the diet heavy on fresh natural veggies with some Harrison's Pellet.

PyroParrot

Parrot of the Month šŸ†
Dec 30, 2021
Parrots
Sunny: Sun conure, hatch 2/2021
Sailboat- what seed mix do you use? I have had quite the experience trying to get quality seed mixes! So many have additives and all sorts of junk. I would really love to hear about a decent brand. If you make your own, would you be willing to share your ā€˜formulaā€™
thanks so much!!
the PyroParot*
* yes, there is a story to that!!! No burning birds tho!

BirdyBee

Jan 7, 2022
Media
Albums
South Africa
Parrots
Current birds:
John
Snowy
Pippen

Past birds:
Grumpy
Sunny
Griffen
Jeff
Gertjie
TOP's contains seed... so does Harrison's. If you are not allowed to feed him seed AT ALL, then those two brands shouldn't be fed.

TOP's:
1653370275490.png

Most Harrison's pellets contains seed, so I recommend checking your bag's ingredients.

Attachments

• 1653370275570.png
    1653370275570.png
    68.2 KB · Views: 57

BirdyBee

Jan 7, 2022
Media
Albums
South Africa
Parrots
Current birds:
John
Snowy
Pippen

Past birds:
Grumpy
Sunny
Griffen
Jeff
Gertjie
TOP's contains seed... so does Harrison's. If you are not allowed to feed him seed AT ALL, then those two brands shouldn't be fed.

TOP's:
View attachment 40255

Most Harrison's pellets contains seed, so I recommend checking your bag's ingredients.
Despite common belief, most seeds are low in fat, and about the same as a lot of pellets. The biggest issue is carbs in seeds. That's what leads to obesity, poor feather quality, etc in seed only or mostly seed diets. I'm sure your vet knows what they're doing, I just wanted to share this info anyway for other people possibly reading this thread. If your vet says no seed, that means no seed.

kme3388

Sep 17, 2021
Minnesota, USA
Parrots
Eclectus Parrot: Nico (male)
Jenday Conure: Kiwi (female)
Despite common belief, most seeds are low in fat, and about the same as a lot of pellets. The biggest issue is carbs in seeds. That's what leads to obesity, poor feather quality, etc in seed only or mostly seed diets. I'm sure your vet knows what they're doing, I just wanted to share this info anyway for other people possibly reading this thread. If your vet says no seed, that means no seed.
If anyone wants to pick an argument with my conure, and tell her no seeds be my guest... I'll hide behind you ha ha ha ha ha Yes she will scare me in this situation :ROFLMAO:

OP
ravvlet

ravvlet

Jun 25, 2019
Seattle WA
Parrots
Kirby - OWA, 33yrs old (2019-)
Broccoli - Dusky Conure - 3?mo old (July 2023 -)
~~~
(Rehomed) Sammy - YNA, 45 yrs old (2022-2023)
(RIP) Cricket - Cockatiel (2019-2022)
Vet said no seed because they tend to pick a favorite and eat only that one. She prefers a pellet as they canā€™t just pick and choose.

I was under the impression TOPS is not a fortified pellet? I know Roudybush/Harrisonā€™s are. I am feeding only slightly more than what I give Kirby, and heā€™s a smaller bird, so Iā€™m surprised sheā€™s chunking up. I still have the TOPS seed mix, but I stopped giving it, it was not helping her get into eating veggies any more than anything else.

Yes, itā€™s chop. Itā€™s one of the recipes I posted on my chop thread. I also sometimes offer her whole stuff like peppers, baby carrots, etc. She rarely eats any of it, or not enough of it that I can see that sheā€™s trying it. We have tried whole veg, chopped and purĆ©ed. Still trying to ā€œcrack that nutā€, heh. I tried giving her veg only for the first hour of the day before offering pellet but she would just wait, hence mixing pellet into it.

She gets out of cage time now whereas she didnā€™t used to (previous home). She has attempted to fly a couple times too; which actually has been a bit of a problem since she still doesnā€™t fully trust us and is quite bitey. Not draw-blood biting thankfully, just ā€œhow DARE YOU not let me on your shoulder/put me back on my playstand!!ā€, lol. But she also isnā€™t quite ready for pets!! Flies to us then eventually gets nervous and bites someone. Birds. I remember ages ago my TAG was like that too, just smaller.

BirdyBee

Jan 7, 2022
Media
Albums
South Africa
Parrots
Current birds:
John
Snowy
Pippen

Past birds:
Grumpy
Sunny
Griffen
Jeff
Gertjie
Vet said no seed because they tend to pick a favorite and eat only that one. She prefers a pellet as they canā€™t just pick and choose.
I see, I thought it was because of the seed itself, so I thought I'd point it out anyway.
I was under the impression TOPS is not a fortified pellet? I know Roudybush/Harrisonā€™s are. I am feeding only slightly more than what I give Kirby, and heā€™s a smaller bird, so Iā€™m surprised sheā€™s chunking up. I still have the TOPS seed mix, but I stopped giving it, it was not helping her get into eating veggies any more than anything else.
Yes TOP's is not fortified.

I wish you the best of luck with Sammy!

Most Reactions

Latest posts