GCC cage help

Snowbird

Jun 13, 2018
California
Parrots
Green Cheek Conure
Hi, guys! I have a bit of a problem. Iā€™m looking to get a GCC from a private breeder in my state soon. Iā€™ve been looking for a cage that has a play top on it. Iā€™ve also been looking for one around 30 inches long and 20-24 or more inches deep. Thatā€™s about the max I can go. The problem is that I really canā€™t find a good one of that size with bar spacing under an inch. Iā€™m even weary about bringing a young GCC with bar spacing .75 of an inch. Does anyone have any recommendations? Iā€™m driving myself crazy looking nonstop for a cage with appropriate bar spacing, reasonable price, good size and play stand. Iā€™m willing to forego some of the things Iā€™m looking for, but I would love a cage that has these features. I plan to have the GCC out of its cage as much as possible during the day, but I would prefer him to have plenty of room still. Thank you for any help. Sorry if Iā€™m being overly picky about the cage. I just want a cage that will serve my GCC well when I do get him.

Edit: Iā€™m open to different cage options if recommended. You all know more about GCC cage sizes and behavior much more than I do. Iā€™m basing a lot of my specifications on research, past experience and available room for the cage.

Last edited:

Jen5200

Mar 27, 2017
Media
Albums
Washington State
Parrots
Baby - Sun Conure;
Tango - GCC;
Bindi - Sun Conure;
Stanley - Pineapple GCC;
Screamer Ć¢ā‚¬Å“ScreeĆ¢ā‚¬ļæ½ - Cockatiel;
Tee - Pineapple GCC; Jimmy - Cockatiel
I checked a few places that I normally would look for the size range you mentioned - these both have 5/8ā€ bar spacing, which my green cheeks have had no issue with. There arenā€™t a ton of cages out there in the size you are looking for with a play top. Another option could be to get a regular cage in your preferred size and get a table-top play stand that you can move around, put on top of the cage, etc.

https://www.birdscomfort.com/playtop_bird_cage.html
https://www.petco.com/shop/en/petco...vQwa7KBo4abVEwIH1gxoCb5EQAvD_BwE&gclsrc=aw.ds

noodles123

Jul 11, 2018
Parrots
Umbrella Cockatoo- 15? years old..I think?
I would definitely find a cage with appropriate bar spacing and plenty of room. As someone whose finances are currently tight, I would wait to get a bird if that is part of your reason---not judging, but just saying, the cage and bird may SEEM like the most expensive parts about bird ownership, but they aren't in the long-run. Similarly, if space is a concern, I would also wait until you have a bit more. I know you have had birds before (I remember Princess--again, sorry for your loss). I just know you said there were limitations, which is why I said what I said.

If I am misinterpreting what you said, then sorry! No offense intended-- I just know that I never anticipated spending as much as I do on mine and it can be very stressful when you have to choose between what is best and what is affordable.

Last edited:

clark_conure

Jul 14, 2017
Media
Minnesota
Parrots
A crossover Quaker Scuti (F), A Sun conure named AC, A Cinnamon Green Cheek conure Kent, and 6 budgies, Scuti Jr. (f), yellow (m), clark Jr. (m), Dot (f), Zebra(f), Machine (m).
OP
S

Snowbird

Jun 13, 2018
California
Parrots
Green Cheek Conure
I would definitely find a cage with appropriate bar spacing and plenty of room. As someone whose finances are currently tight, I would wait to get a bird if that is part of your reason---not judging, but just saying, the cage and bird may SEEM like the most expensive parts about bird ownership, but they aren't in the long-run. Similarly, if space is a concern, I would also wait until you have a bit more. I know you have had birds before (I remember Princess--again, sorry for your loss). I just know you said there were limitations, which is why I said what I said.

If I am misinterpreting what you said, then sorry! No offense intended-- I just know that I never anticipated spending as much as I do on mine and it can be very stressful when you have to choose between what is best and what is affordable.
No offense taken, Noodles123. Thank you about Princess. Youā€™re right about making sure I can afford it. I learned the hard way with Princess. It was very tight for a while but worked out. Iā€™ve just been fortunate to save up more than I thought I would be able to than originally thought. I have several months before the breeder would have any available, at the moment, I have enough for all supplies. I would just need the about $300 more in the next 3 or so months to make it with money to spare for unintended expenses. I actually appreciate you bringing this subject up as it is in the best interest of both the bird and I. Thank you for your advice!

Most Reactions

Latest posts