GCC change in behavior after a 8 day holiday

OpalWings

Apr 19, 2022
Parrots
2 Budgies
1 Green cheek conure
My female GCC, Jade., has been acting extremely aggressive and defensive after I had to go on an 8 day holiday with my family. Before this, we had quite a strong bond and we had started training.
We had someone in to help feed our animals but I know she was scared of Jade because of her aggression to strangers.
But since I’ve arrived back from the holiday, she has been lunging at my hands and trying to bite them. She happily sits on my arm and shoulder, but anything else, she attempts to bite. She’s fine with doing a step up, but only onto my arm, as she’ll try to bite my hand at any opportunity. She’s also started to scream more. I first assumed this might be a call for attention but I’m not too sure.
I also have two budgies, which have become more affectionate since I have gotten back.
The birds were able to be outside of their cages whilst I was on holiday as the room they are in has been bird proofed completely. So I’m not too sure what is root of this behavior change. I thought it might also be hormones because she is almost 1.5 years old.
Any advice?

kme3388

Sep 17, 2021
Minnesota, USA
Parrots
Eclectus Parrot: Nico (male)
Jenday Conure: Kiwi (female)
Hi there, and welcome. I'm sorry to hear about the changes in behavior with your conure. I am just describing my conure here. My female conure as a baby was very sweet, cuddly, didn't bite, and wasn't vocal. She was just a doll. When she turned about 2 years old things changed. She was constantly contact calling, she was more snippy, she was crouching down and clucking with her toys, she became protective of her cage, and she became an adult. Spring (hormones), molting (pin feathers), and certain things really do make my conure quite snippy at times. She will bite (not to draw blood but to warn that she doesn't like whatever I'm doing).

How I deal with all of this is I do my best to help her with her pin feathers by gently rubbing them between my fingers. She loves it! I provide her with more baths at this time as well. I never force my conure out of her cage. I do not stick my hands in her cage. I leave her cage alone other then cleaning it as this is her own personal space. I do trick training with her, and I have her flight trained. This was fairly easy once I got her on a pellet diet. She loves her sun flower seeds, and would do anything for them. I also give my conure a ton of things to destroy. She is an avid chewer. I think this is very important for conures that are beaking! Once they find their beaks they never stop using them.

I hope something in here helps you. I am sorry to hear about the changes in your conure. I really do wish there was more education about parrots before purchasing them so people know what to expect. Baby parrots, and adult parrots can be night, and day different.

Flboy

Dec 28, 2014
Greater Orlando area, Florida
Parrots
JoJo, 'Special' GCC, Bongo, Cinnamon GCC(wife's)
Hi, been in your spot, many times!
My job required a lot of travel, and JoJo made sure I knew he resented it! I always gave him a little space and acknowledged his right to be upset!

Most Reactions