GCC feathers

leann4417

May 16, 2023
Parrots
Green Cheek Conure
Hi! Iā€™m new to conures and got the sweetest hand fed green cheek. Heā€™s about 16 weeks old now. Do his feathers look ok? Are they supposed to look kind of dark toward the ends?
0DAD3E7C-AC5C-448F-87BA-721A65358257.jpeg

Attachments

• 1C91BC67-3C6B-4C63-A1D6-7B8CB1921B58.jpeg
    1C91BC67-3C6B-4C63-A1D6-7B8CB1921B58.jpeg
    362.5 KB · Views: 23

zERo

Staff member
Super Moderator
Dec 9, 2021
Media
Texas
Parrots
Tony-Green QP(M)
Tom-Pineapple GCC(M)
Milly- Sparrow (F)
Welcome to the forums!

It appears he has a bit of bronzing. This is fairly normal in young parrots especially as they are rough on their feathers.
A few of them look like stress bars too which are also from being rough by rolling around/playing on his back like lots of GCC like doing!

It should all molt out and be replaced by perfect feathers in the next few months.
Hereā€™s a picture of what my GCC looked like when I brought him home vs. him now:
While he didnā€™t have bronzing he had lots of stress bars.
IMG_3445.jpeg

Now 2 years later
IMG_9993.jpeg

Your baby is a cutie btw! šŸ˜
If you have any questions donā€™t hesitate to ask.

OP
L

leann4417

May 16, 2023
Parrots
Green Cheek Conure
Welcome to the forums!

It appears he has a bit of bronzing. This is fairly normal in young parrots especially as they are rough on their feathers.
A few of them look like stress bars too which are also from being rough by rolling around/playing on his back like lots of GCC like doing!

It should all molt out and be replaced by perfect feathers in the next few months.
Hereā€™s a picture of what my GCC looked like when I brought him home vs. him now:
While he didnā€™t have bronzing he had lots of stress bars.
View attachment 51072
Now 2 years later
View attachment 51074

Your baby is a cutie btw! šŸ˜
If you have any questions donā€™t hesitate to ask.
Thank you so much! Is there something different I should do with his cage? He loves his toys but I worry I put too much in it.

Attachments

• C6C33461-35ED-4A2F-98DC-602DD921A43E.jpeg
    C6C33461-35ED-4A2F-98DC-602DD921A43E.jpeg
    422.5 KB · Views: 31

zERo

Staff member
Super Moderator
Dec 9, 2021
Media
Texas
Parrots
Tony-Green QP(M)
Tom-Pineapple GCC(M)
Milly- Sparrow (F)
His cage looks okay!

Though, I would remove the bells on toys that have them, as the clapper arenā€™t always very secure.
The foraging toy up top is not 100% safe either.
I have the same one but canā€™t trust it as itā€™s almost small enough for my GCC or Quaker to get their head stuck in.

This forager is much safer and, IMO, offers more fun! My GCC loves it!
Paradise Toys Bird Creative Foraging System Wheel, Spins with Food Inside, 6ā€ Diameter https://a.co/d/3XdnEL0

Just one more thing, the two colorful toys, me personally, I would remove them. The clips arenā€™t safe and the beads appear to be painted rather than dyed. You can check with a wet paper towel, if theyā€™re painted no color will come off.
When looking for a clip, use stainless steel or aluminum and they must twist shut, and twist very tightly!

Iā€™m not trying to scare you or anything. I can tell you already adore your little guy!
Hereā€™s a few sites I like to order from for natural toys and toy parts.

My Safe Bird Store https://www.mysafebirdstore.com/
MakeYourOwnBirdToys.com https://makeyourownbirdtoys.com/

The other two toys you have are great though! When getting him more Iā€™d just keep in mind to look for more natural toys.

clark_conure

Jul 14, 2017
Media
Minnesota
Parrots
A crossover Quaker Scuti (F), A Sun conure named AC, A Cinnamon Green Cheek conure Kent, and 6 budgies, Scuti Jr. (f), yellow (m), clark Jr. (m), Dot (f), Zebra(f), Machine (m).
Meh, birds fine..........IMO.

I don't see any dark banding or anything and seems ok with you.

If you start seeing dark stipes in the color feathers bad, but this one looks completely healthy and well tempered.

Last edited:
OP
L

leann4417

May 16, 2023
Parrots
Green Cheek Conure
His cage looks okay!

Though, I would remove the bells on toys that have them, as the clapper arenā€™t always very secure.
The foraging toy up top is not 100% safe either.
I have the same one but canā€™t trust it as itā€™s almost small enough for my GCC or Quaker to get their head stuck in.

This forager is much safer and, IMO, offers more fun! My GCC loves it!
Paradise Toys Bird Creative Foraging System Wheel, Spins with Food Inside, 6ā€ Diameter https://a.co/d/3XdnEL0

Just one more thing, the two colorful toys, me personally, I would remove them. The clips arenā€™t safe and the beads appear to be painted rather than dyed. You can check with a wet paper towel, if theyā€™re painted no color will come off.
When looking for a clip, use stainless steel or aluminum and they must twist shut, and twist very tightly!

Iā€™m not trying to scare you or anything. I can tell you already adore your little guy!
Hereā€™s a few sites I like to order from for natural toys and toy parts.

My Safe Bird Store https://www.mysafebirdstore.com/
MakeYourOwnBirdToys.com https://makeyourownbirdtoys.com/

The other two toys you have are great though! When getting him more Iā€™d just keep in mind to look for more natural toys.
Good points! Thank you! Iā€™ll look into them.

clark_conure

Jul 14, 2017
Media
Minnesota
Parrots
A crossover Quaker Scuti (F), A Sun conure named AC, A Cinnamon Green Cheek conure Kent, and 6 budgies, Scuti Jr. (f), yellow (m), clark Jr. (m), Dot (f), Zebra(f), Machine (m).
you won't see them...he's obviously happy.Just enjoy your new bird.

zERo

Staff member
Super Moderator
Dec 9, 2021
Media
Texas
Parrots
Tony-Green QP(M)
Tom-Pineapple GCC(M)
Milly- Sparrow (F)
I mean you canā€™t deny he has bronzing a bit. The OP is clearly distressed about it and wanting to know if this issues can resolve itself.
I saw this in my own GCC when I brought him home as you can see in the first picture of him I posted.

I agree itā€™s not of terrible concern, but if the poster is concerned, and they are, we should ease their worry if the situation does not match it.

Most Reactions

Latest posts