GCC - plucking

Grabers

Mar 21, 2014
Parrots
GCC - George
Hi all

Had our GCC for 6 months or so now and he is great. Such good fun, he loves to be held and play games which is such a huge step from when we first got him.

Over the last 3 days though he has plucked every feather off his chest and only the small grey (down?) feathers are left. I have no idea why this has happened. We have not changed his diet or anything else but we are of course having a hot spell so I wondered if it could be that?
His diet is ok, he does not really eat the fruit and veg we put out (only apple) he just picks through his seeds.

I am worried he is poorly although he is still very playful active and seems his normal self.

Phlox

Jun 16, 2014
If he just started out of nowhere it's time for a vet visit. He may be sick.

goalerjones

Oct 24, 2011
Parrots
Hahn's macaw, RIP George, Jenday Conure
Diet, stress, infection, parasites, boredom...the pain from the plucking, if stress related, acts as a reset button of sorts. Pain takes away the stress temporarily like it does for someone who cuts themselves.

Net result, only an avian vet can distinguish between all the possibilities. And it won't go away by itself.

RavensGryf

Supporting Member
Jan 19, 2014
College Station, Texas
Parrots
Red Bellied Parrot /
Ruppell's Parrot /
Bronze Winged Pionus /
English Budgie
My avian vet who only sees birds and is well known in the US, said that plucking almost always has medical roots. He said contrary to popular belief, boredom is a rare cause even in larger species.

SilverSage

Sep 14, 2013
Columbus, GA
Parrots
Eclectus, CAG, BH Pionus, Maximilian’s Pionus, Quakers, Indian Ringnecks, Green Cheeked Conures, Black Capped Conures, Cockatiels, Lovebirds, Budgies, Canaries, Diamond Doves, Zebra Finches, Society F
I second the other posters - that bird needs to see an Avian Vet TODAY. Any drastic change in behavior can be a warning sign, and that is a VERY DRASTIC change. Especially when it doesnt seem to be environmental. Hurry hurry hurry to the vet! Please keep us posted!

JellyBean

May 19, 2014
Limerick, Ireland
Parrots
Green Cheeked Conure called JellyBean
JellyBean did the VERY same thing... was a happy normal bird, then all the feathers from the front of his chest were nearly gone - happened quite quickly! ... I took him to a vet who said boredom..which I was having trouble believing. Anyway, someone on this forum suggested that we wasn't getting enough sleep - his feather plucking coincided exactly with spring - which in Ireland means dusk at 11pm and dawn at 4am. We used to put a over over him, but I don't think that it was adequate. Now, we have a separate bedtime cage, with no toys, and the room is completely dark with a warm cover over the cage... he now has all feathers back on his chest!!!!! I agree that the vet is the best possible course of action... but this is what worked for us! Let us know how he is getting on!

Most Reactions

Latest posts