GCC refuses to come out of outside cage, otherwise very tame

Assidental

Sep 28, 2020
Parrots
A 4MO cinnamon GCC named monkey
Hello everyone!

I have a 2 year old female green cheek conure that I absolutely adore. We have a very strong bond and she is very much bonded to people in general. I go between my house and my partners house on the weekend and I like to bring her with me. She has a nice spacious outside cage built (under shade, in the backyard). Today I put her inside around noon and when I tried to retrieve her to bring her inside due to it being a bit too cold, she would not come to me and would climb away. This is very unusual behavior for her as she usually ITCHES for me to get her out her cage at home. I want to think that she just really likes this outdoor cage and wants to stay in more? Both her regular cage and this outdoor one are loaded with toys and food and water are the same. She seemed relaxed while inside this cage today, talkative and chewing on toys. What might be causing this sudden change in her cage behavior??

Thank you in advance!

OP
A

Assidental

Sep 28, 2020
Parrots
A 4MO cinnamon GCC named monkey
More than likely? She wanted a little more time!
Outside cage, many questions! How safe is she moving in and out? Also, predators are a constant/fast/deadly concern!
We bring the cage in when they are moved in/out in case they get loose and will still be indoors! This is a heavy duty cage with half inch diamond shaped wiring with a latch-closed door, secured with a lock when we are not supervising directly. They are never kept out there overnight.

clark_conure

Jul 14, 2017
Media
Minnesota
Parrots
A crossover Quaker Scuti (F), A Sun conure named AC, A Cinnamon Green Cheek conure Kent, and 6 budgies, Scuti Jr. (f), yellow (m), clark Jr. (m), Dot (f), Zebra(f), Machine (m).
Actually a mystery to me. GCCs are some of the strongest bonding birds I know of. Might just be hormones since 2 yo or yeah might just love the outdoors. There's a reason they are so popular.

HeatherG

Apr 25, 2020
I have been having the same issue with Willow. He loves me but he preens his toys, chews his foot, etc when I come to get him from his cage after he’s been fussing to come out. I don’t get it. Once Willow (Quaker) is out, then I must pet him and pet him and pet him or I get pecked. Or he flips his wings and yells. I pet him, he wags his tail and acts happy.

But why won’t he come out? It’s a pain to stand there coaxing him. Unless it’s that much fun having me try to get him to come out of the cage.

Most Reactions

Latest posts