GCC won’t leave my computer alone!

EllenP

May 11, 2021
I am having a problem with my cinnamon GCC. I love her to death, and I like to keep her out of her home when I’m around. I sometimes work from home, and she won’t stay off my computer! She chews on everything, including chewing the keys off and running away with them. I’ve tried putting her back home when she’s naughty, but she’s not getting the message. I’ve also tried giving her other toys to play with. She’s only seven months old, so maybe she’ll grow out of it?!?! Help!! Now I’m bribing her with strawberries.

Attachments

• CD5D6856-F8FF-42C1-A797-09A6B2278DE0.jpeg
    CD5D6856-F8FF-42C1-A797-09A6B2278DE0.jpeg
    293.8 KB · Views: 99
  • 3AAB240E-5D10-4C94-A542-75FABB0955C8.jpeg
    3AAB240E-5D10-4C94-A542-75FABB0955C8.jpeg
    175.7 KB · Views: 89
Last edited:

Skarila

Parrot of the Month 🏆
2021 Parrot of the Year 🏆
Apr 19, 2021
Media
Albums
Hungary
Parrots
✻Csillam the rescued budgie
✻Pascal the Emma's (Venezuelan) Conure

Previous owned:
✻Archibald the cockatiel (fostered 6 months)
✻RIP - 28 YO Zeleni the mischievous IRN
✻RIP -Sunny the budgie
I've seen people buying those large plastic containers and flipping it sideways and putting the laptop inside and working like that xD the birds can sit on the container, but can't really get in, they have to get past your hands first!

Can you have a small playstand next to yourself?

wrench13

Staff member
Super Moderator
Parrot of the Month 🏆
Nov 22, 2015
Media
Albums
Isle of Long, NY
Parrots
Yellow Shoulder Amazon, Salty
Computer keyboards must contain parrot crack, as every one I've ever had love to remove the keys. Even getting an old keyboard for them to destroy doesn't work, they have to destroy the one YOU'RE working on!

OP
E

EllenP

May 11, 2021
I've seen people buying those large plastic containers and flipping it sideways and putting the laptop inside and working like that xD the birds can sit on the container, but can't really get in, they have to get past your hands first!

Can you have a small playstand next to yourself?
She does have a playground right next to me. Apparently nothing is as fascinating as a laptop! I’m going to try the plastic container though! Thank you!

imouse1

Oct 10, 2021
Media
NM
Parrots
Green Cheek Conure: Sir H. H. Gregg Q. T. Birb, III
Computer keyboards must contain parrot crack, as every one I've ever had love to remove the keys. Even getting an old keyboard for them to destroy doesn't work, they have to destroy the one YOU'RE working on!
Parrots be cats on wings:

"Oh, I'm sorry, those hands don't look like they're interacting with me so let's see what all this "fun" is about. Don't worry, I saw how you used it. I've got it figured out." 😂

imouse1

Oct 10, 2021
Media
NM
Parrots
Yo.

Yikes.

But have you tried one of those silicone mats that go on top of laptop keyboards designed to keep out spills and crumbs? Because if you're able to get used to them, she won't be able to get to the keyboard (though, I'm not sure if she'll be tenacious enough to actually tear off and ingest some of the silicone ÷[ ).

BUT

if you are not able to get used to it, you could get a wireless keyboard and sit back a little bit from the computer which might take some of the focus away from it and it could reduce some any of the jealousy frustration while also encouraging her to sit back from it with you.

If you have an old, small TV you can also/instead HDMI your laptop to the TV and use it like a monitor so that you don't have to worry about the silicone and jist.keep your laptop closed while you use the wireless keyboard.

Not sure how realistic these solutions are for your particular situation but might be cheaper than the potential repair job should she yank off the keys permanently because they crack...especially if she has an accident on them ÷(

OP
E

EllenP

May 11, 2021
Parrots be cats on wings:

"Oh, I'm sorry, those hands don't look like they're interacting with me so let's see what all this "fun" is about. Don't worry, I saw how you used it. I've got it figured out." 😂
That’s right. I tried giving her her own keyboard. Yeah, right, no interest at all. 🙄🙄

bittybite

Oct 8, 2021
Parrots
Dodo - Green Cheek Conure (hatched 18 August 2021)
Bolo - Pineapple Conure (hatched 20 August 2021)
That’s right. I tried giving her her own keyboard. Yeah, right, no interest at all. 🙄🙄
I think my birds have realised that my laptop's touchscreen! They no longer aim for the keyboard, just keep tapping beaks and feet on the screen.

imouse1

Oct 10, 2021
Media
NM
Parrots
I think my birds have realised that my laptop's touchscreen! They no longer aim for the keyboard, just keep tapping beaks and feet on the screen.

I bet this is an overplayed set of jokes on a bird forum but.

They're learning.

Clever girl...

Most Reactions