Gemini & Leo Update,

Peta

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
Sep 7, 2006
Finally took the eggs out today, (left them a bit longer than necessary, just incase I got my sums wrong) anyway it turns out we had 2 DIS and 2 that weren't viable :( They were not happy when we took them out, but didn't make as much fuss and weren't very aggressive, so think they realised they were not going to hatch. Now that she knows what to do and wants to do it, maybe she'll have better luck next time we'll have to see.

Just thought I'd let you all know. We are a bit devastated but at least we can be a bit more prepared next time.

pheobus

Jun 14, 2007
Media
I am really sorry Peta!:( But these things happen with birds..Is it their first time breeding? I have had canaries in the past and this was kind of usual at their first time, but canaries can be bred two even three times(not good for the hen's health) during the same season so the second times we had 100% hatchings so did one third time that we didn't stop the hen early enough from laying eggs. I wish things are better next time and I'm quite sure they will be!

TexDot33

Bird poop and baby poop
Dec 26, 2006
Media
New Hampshire USA
Parrots
15 year-old Sun Conure: Hamlet &
14 year-old Green-Cheeked Conure: Mac
Well, mating season isn't over yet ... sorry to hear about this batch, but I bet in the future that we will be hearing a lot about "I have too many baby 'teils" in this house!

OP
P

Peta

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
Sep 7, 2006
Thanks guys,

Pheobus, this isn't their first time breeding, but first time they have done all the right things,

Tex, I'm sure you could be right about the scream, and yep it will be a scream, in fact you'll probably know about it before you read it here. :D As long as she lays 4 thats not too bad, I'm not even going to think about her laying more than that. :D

OP
P

Peta

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
Sep 7, 2006
There still young so there's plenty of time, They will be 4 (Gemini) and 5 (Leo). I think I'm more upset for them than for me, and theres plenty of time, But if they never have any viable ones thats fine too. We never got these two with any intentions of breeding, they were supposed to be 2 males. :D

Eclectica

Oct 8, 2006
Media
South Africa
Parrots
Dory - Cockatiel
Well the important thing is that they knew what they were doing, so they will be good parents and hatch their babies when the time comes for them to be fertile. Sorry to hear about it though, you and the tiels were so excited.

OP
P

Peta

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
Sep 7, 2006
Yeah when I think back, we were kinda excited, but very unprepared. Now that she seems to want to do it right we are getting prepared. When the times right they will have their babies I'm sure. Its not for want of trying on their part I can tell ya. :D

OP
P

Peta

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
Sep 7, 2006
Yeah and if they don't well that okay as well.

Most Reactions

Latest posts