Getting an egg stroke Amazon

Krisrath11

Sep 23, 2023
Parrots
Parakeets and conures
Hey there so I'm new here but come gander all the time and decided now is a great time to join. So here's the deal, I've been meandering for awhile about getting another bird that's larger as my green cheeks are the big ones now and I started with a jenday and a goffins cockatoo was my big girl but those 2 have since passed some years ago. Well I came across this lady needing to rehomed some of hers and after inquiring found that she's needing to place a yellow shouldered Amazon who she said had an egg stroke. Well it came about because special needs and end of life animals are really my favorite. Anyway she's had the little lady she said for 6 years and she recently (in the last 4 months) had an egg stroke she said and is still in the process of recovery. Well here I am wanting more info on what ways to properly care for her and get her back to healthy. The day I pick her up or the next she WILL be visiting the vet for blood work and a checkup and until she comes back healthy will reside in the living room far away from all the other birds. So she's not been out of the cage at all in 6 years except for when she had the stroke and is now residing in a small kennel with a perch on the floor. I'm of course going to get as much info from the vet as possible and full blood work and yes I'm going to purchase her the large cage for when she's feeling well. The age of her is unknown, doesn't know if she's ever been handled ECT and she'll take a treat from her hand with the cage door open. Said she hasn't fallen from the perch that she's aware of in quite awhile (but she's not been there due to health issues) and she used her beak to steady herself on the side of the cage as she turns around is the only complications she said she's currently experiencing. I have various sizes of cages (nothing as large as she will eventually be in). She's on a bad diet that I'll be switching as soon as she is picked up and I did tell her without knowing she was breeding yet that she's feeding bad stuff. Anyway I've not owned an Amazon before and certainly never dealt with this issue of the stroke so I want to be as prepared as possible before picking her up. So how long should recovery to normal take (do they always go back to normal)? I plan on taking her as much as she'll let me (yes I know it could take forever plus a day sometimes) and certainly not leaving her in a cage forever. Would it be a proper time to start trying to get her to come out when she gets here (they said it seems like she really wants to get out now especially since she's in the tiny cage) or would it be to much stress until she's back to full health? The way I'm looking at it it seems like it might progress easier with her really wanting to come out and she at least takes the treats. I know 2 birds r never the same and it's partially related to the bird itself but I don't want to cause undue stress but I want to use the opportunity if it'd be a better time to start that won't impede her health. They said she's very sweet seemingly and never tried to bite which gives me tons of hope. Bare minimum I want her to be able to come out and perch when she's able to safely so she's not stuck in the cage for her lifetime prospects are that she becomes a tame hand held shoulder perching little lady but I know it might never get there. Any experience with the stroke/recovery/taming process is all welcome or tips tricks ECT to get us from the place she is to as close to my prospect as possible. She did tell me her favorite thing she knows of to eat are grapes and apples so as long as she's healthy enough I'll be using that to my advantage. No I'm not paying a very large fee for her at all and she's coming with her current setup to hopefully keep her stress down at least til she's ready. Thanks and sorry for the small novel

wrench13

Staff member
Super Moderator
Parrot of the Month 🏆
Nov 22, 2015
Media
Albums
Isle of Long, NY
Parrots
Yellow Shoulder Amazon, Salty
I dont know anything about egg stroke, but I can tell uou yellow shoulder AMazons have a really good rep, and mine is a treasure. A bit fiesty at times, but hey he's an AMazon, but normally a well mannered and smart parrot.

OP
K

Krisrath11

Sep 23, 2023
Parrots
Parakeets and conures
I dont know anything about egg stroke, but I can tell uou yellow shoulder AMazons have a really good rep, and mine is a treasure. A bit fiesty at times, but hey he's an AMazon, but normally a well mannered and smart parrot.
Any advice on getting her to start taming process? She might have been tame at some point but she had no idea she hasn't been out since she's had her. That makes me feel better because Google seems to think they're not very nice 🤣 I actually had just left the rescue looking at a different bird and ended up looking at a very old red Mexican Amazon (that might not be quite the name) who is between 40 and 60 who I'm still going to try to meet because it just looked so sad in the
Sorry my phone died while I was writing and apparently it just auto posted! Anyway looked so sad in the cage and like it was just terrified so I might be simultaneously getting 2 Amazons eek lol. I posted on another parrot forum and I had one person reply saying they e never seen another yellow shouldered so they're excited to see another one lol and they said the same thing that they're just amazing to have. This makes me even more excited to get her because not only does she deserve a real loving home where she's not making babies she needs time out of the cage! I know it's a matter of opinion on who u ask but do u clip your wings or keep them? She'll be in my room typically and I live completely alone except my animals so no way the door will open without me doing it. I keep the others in flight but I don't know with the wing span if it'd be better or not and I do own a cat that used to be outdoors before I got her which is y I keep the birds in rooms and only out and about when the 4 leggers are all locked up. Pure opinion as I see the clip side and it typically would be a concern for most people with families and lives haha mine is the wing span and I did hear it can cause biting because they feel trapped but idk if that's true or not because some keep them that wAy

SailBoat

Supporting Member
Jul 10, 2015
Western, Michigan
Parrots
DYH Amazon
I have been around Amazon for a very long time and although I know a few things about Amazons; I have never hear of Egg Stroke! Only possible consideration was that she had a stroke while attempting to lay.

Strokes in Amazons, like with Humans, run the full gamut and can be anything from temporary to permanent and show little effect to having serious problems with being able to doing the simplest things. At this point, In my opinion, it is way to early to talk about near everything you will want to know.

All of our Amazons have come to us very being the classification of yesterday's trash with serious medical issues, abused, seriously poor diets and with no want to every deal with another Human.

Once the Avian Vet has determined what medical requirements needs to be address that is where it all starts as everything else occurs afterwards. After all, feeding her medications multiple times a day is no place to be concerned about near everything else.

Assure you get a detailed copy of the Avian Vet's evaluation and required medical care needed and start that process FIRST!

Second, read with detail the first two Threads at the Top of the Amazon Forum!!

Please post the Avian Vets determinations.

Thank You for bringing an Amazon In Need into your home!

Last edited:
OP
K

Krisrath11

Sep 23, 2023
Parrots
Parakeets and conures
Thanks for the reply and yes I'm aware and "egg stroke" isn't a thing which is part of why I posted. The vet will do her workup on Thursday I pick her up wed. I'm very aware that her medical comes first and my vet also running a rescue will have plenty of helpful hints and things and will tell me her needs. I like to be prepared as much as possible which having several special needs animals over my lifetime has taught me to gather info and hope for the best. Being blind sided makes it worse at least for me. If she was to never recover (all hope she will) that's fine as long as she's not suffering we can work around it and give her whatever the best life she can have and will accept is. I'm committed to her already and I won't fail her because she has had enough of that. Whatever happens I'm going to do my best to make her life great because she deserves it. Having info in my pocket is never a bad thing and hope helps drive things home. Her coming to my home and it being hers is her first small win and we'll have several more even if they're seemingly minute. Getting her healthy is top priority but helping her know love is a hard 2nd.

OP
K

Krisrath11

Sep 23, 2023
Parrots
Parakeets and conures
Vet said she could have had a yolk stroke but she's fairly young to have had one banded in 2005 born in Texas. If she did it was because of conditions and feed. She's a very sweet girl who has a bit unsteady coordination but is really normal and hangs on well to things so tomorrow she gets her new cage being I have to figure out how to get it where I want it because of the size. She's had testing done and results come tomorrow and Monday or Tuesday she got a beak trim, is on a full pellet diet now trying to switch it to the zupreem I feed all the birds I have (her size of course), she had no visible signs of anything contagious, expected that she has fatty liver disease but TBD when tests come back. She comes out of the cage and will step up and hang out with me. She today has been trying to make the kissy noises back at me which is comical. I suspect this is a terrible breeding ordeal going on and theyre obviously keeping them somewhere else because they told me that but they're feeding very poorly, keeping in cages that aren't appropriate sizes (my gcc came in a cage that I thought was to small and they're using one EXACTLY like it for 2 birds with no toys and are in a finished basement room that's very small with only 1 window that looks at nothing in a really big house claiming they don't keep them there because they don't have enough room and the mom whose birds they claim they r had lung cancer surgery. Idk I think it's a scam but their lack of taking the bird to the vet when she almost died kept her from staying in their "breeding program" any longer and found out she's not old at all really they just didn't touch her to read the leg band to find out she was just kept poorly. She is super loving and surprisingly tame. She immediately sat in my hand with 1 leg on the cage bar and a full butt plop in my palm. It was adorable. Today she came out and was standing on my arm and let me give her kisses. She loves her head petted except when I'm holding her. She flinches so it appears someone at sometime has hit her or something but she is very resilient it would seem because she quickly stops and when I try again she lets me. I always pull back when she flinches like I'm going to hurt her and tell her it's ok and I'm not going to hurt her then tell her pet your head then she usually doesn't do it and lets me pet and preen her feathers. I'm super glad I got her and she's a wonderful bird that is young enough to spend the duration of my life with me but not young enough that she'll be around to long once I'm gone. A very good amount of years that I hope we stay together til the end. I'll include pictures of the first time she was touched In at least 6 years per the daughter and likely longer per the mom and her today 2 days later . O she doesn't talk but she does try and make the kissy noise now at me and tries to make words when I talk to her. Her name is now Elvira and she's just the sweetest pretty bird ever.
20230927_202705.jpg
20230929_161026.jpg
20230929_165405.jpg

wrench13

Staff member
Super Moderator
Parrot of the Month 🏆
Nov 22, 2015
Media
Albums
Isle of Long, NY
Parrots
If she is anything like my Salty, another yellow shoulder, you are gonna love her to bits.

wrench13

Staff member
Super Moderator
Parrot of the Month 🏆
Nov 22, 2015
Media
Albums
Isle of Long, NY
Parrots
For taming and training, find her fav treat. Salty's is pine nuts; he would build me a Volkswagen for a pine nut. I cut them into 3rds for training. Take a look at some of his videos, link below, to see what is possible!

OP
K

Krisrath11

Sep 23, 2023
Parrots
Parakeets and conures
If she is anything like my Salty, another yellow shoulder, you are gonna love her to bits.
I already do love her to bits! She's actually very well behaved and I'm hoping it doesn't end. I've never really had a honeymoon period bird I guess but I read somewhere awhile back it was typically from changing boundaries? Not really positive I know I've heard of it but in my years not experienced it or maybe it just wasn't enough to be able to remember.

We went on a backpack outing yesterday which I think she really enjoyed. I'm positive she was at one time a man's bird probably whomever she was purchased by originally. She reacts more to their voices and though she loves me she very much was trying to love on my friend at the bbq through the window thing in her backpack (totally adorable) he wasn't even paying attention to her when she was doing it. She did wonderful and I really want to keep her in the habit so she doesn't change.
Going to work on harness training her because I want to be able to let her just hang out with me and not worry her bubble is getting to warm. I think she likes it though because she knows nobody can touch her and I guess it's better for me to because I did have a kid try to stick a finger in it which I immediately put a stop to. Don't want any accidents happening.

OP
K

Krisrath11

Sep 23, 2023
Parrots
Parakeets and conures
For taming and training, find her fav treat. Salty's is pine nuts; he would build me a Volkswagen for a pine nut. I cut them into 3rds for training. Take a look at some of his videos, link below, to see what is possible!
Where do I even get pine nuts? I want a Volkswagen 😂😂 I think hers is walnuts from what they said but her being chubby I've not given any yet. Im saving the big guns for when I really need them 🤣 once I see what she will do without them then I will see what she will do for them... I feel like if I can see what she already knows then I can start at the farthest point and get her healthier before I start ruining her birdish figure.
She's a total sweetheart so far. Someone it seems has hurt her over the years because of the flinch thing she does but she's coming around really well. I can't even imagine locking her up all those years for no reason other than to make money 😭😭 they made her turn around and face the back of the cage when they fed her so she wouldn't touch them they told me. I totally can't stand people.

Most Reactions

Latest posts