Getting budgie to allow head scratches

Tactix

Apr 22, 2020
Lebanon
Parrots
Budgie and Lovebird
Hello! This is Vivi, my budgie. I've had him for over 2 years now. As you can see he is molting right now,
image0.jpg

so i want to help him with those horrid pin feathers, but he won't allow me. He is fine around my hands and all, but he doesn't really let me touch him, other than petting his beak for some reason. How can I slowly get him to let me scratch his head?

Amsterdam

Sep 8, 2018
Turkey
Parrots
some dont like it indeed there is really no need to help him out because in the nature they dont have a human to help them out either does he step up?

itzjbean

Jan 27, 2017
Media
Iowa, USA
Parrots
2 cockatiels
Out of my 4 cockatiels, only one will want head scratches, another can tolerate it but the other two don't like being touched at all. I respect their boundaries!

OP
T

Tactix

Apr 22, 2020
Lebanon
Parrots
Budgie and Lovebird
some dont like it indeed there is really no need to help him out because in the nature they dont have a human to help them out either does he step up?

Honestly when i first got him he was still relatively young, maybe one or two months old, and yes he would step up all the time, but as he got older he just stopped stepping up, well that is unless i have some millet or apples on the other side for him, in which case he scurries over haha, but yeah he doesn't really step up anymore, i don't know why

Amsterdam

Sep 8, 2018
Turkey
Parrots

Honestly when i first got him he was still relatively young, maybe one or two months old, and yes he would step up all the time, but as he got older he just stopped stepping up, well that is unless i have some millet or apples on the other side for him, in which case he scurries over haha, but yeah he doesn't really step up anymore, i don't know why

hey why dont you try to let him step up everyday for a bit?? all the budgies i own i had to perform this method to tame them and learn them to step up and after that i could play with them and give them head rubs however not all my budgies like it

OP
T

Tactix

Apr 22, 2020
Lebanon
Parrots
Budgie and Lovebird

hey why dont you try to let him step up everyday for a bit?? all the budgies i own i had to perform this method to tame them and learn them to step up and after that i could play with them and give them head rubs however not all my budgies like it

Will try!!

Most Reactions

Latest posts