Getting my Conure a Cocktail friend

ChrisDB

Feb 6, 2022
Parrots
PineAppleConure
Hi, I have a conure who is 5 years old during this time he hasn't spend any time with other birds.
He is extremely attached to me, and does sometimes get a little boisterous (fluffed feathers play bites) even though I say this he is very loving, cute and cuddly he just gets over excited at times..
I have been contemplating on whether to get him a friend or not.
The bird would be a cockatiel.
I would like to know whether this would be possible or not.?
obviously they would be housed separately but in the same room.
Do conures get along with cockatiels.?
Would I be causing an issue with my current conure Pedro?
T
hank you

zERo

Staff member
Super Moderator
Dec 9, 2021
Media
Texas
Parrots
Tony-Green QP(M)
Tom-Pineapple GCC(M)
Milly- Sparrow (F)
Hi, I have a conure who is 5 years old during this time he hasn't spend any time with other birds.
He is extremely attached to me, and does sometimes get a little boisterous (fluffed feathers play bites) even though I say this he is very loving, cute and cuddly he just gets over excited at times..
I have been contemplating on whether to get him a friend or not.
The bird would be a cockatiel.
I would like to know whether this would be possible or not.?
obviously they would be housed separately but in the same room.
Do conures get along with cockatiels.?
Would I be causing an issue with my current conure Pedro?
T
hank you
Your GCC may be different than mine but I thought when I brought him home that since he was so sweet and that my QP was very nice to me that they would get along, this was not true, they would bite each others toes off if I wasn't watching. Conures especially GCCs don't back down, even if their opponent is much larger. Cockatiels tend to be more shy and passive, all three mine will hiss and scream and flap their wings when my budgies get too close but it's all a bluff. Your conure may not try to hurt a cockatiel but he could get jealous. Who knows they may love each other but it's more likely that at best they will just tolerate each other which is better than them fighting.

Laurasea

Aug 2, 2018
USA
Parrots
Full house
Hi, welcome to the forums!
Cockatiels are from a different continent than green cheek conures. So cockatiels are considered Old world parrots and green cheek conures are New World Parrots. As a general statement, I think species do better from same area if the world.

But we have a member with an Amazon that gets along with a cockatiel.

I know Owlet has both a cockatiel and a green cheek conure. So I hope she shares her experience and opinion!!

If your asking for my general birb lady opinion. I don't think they are the best match. But I have not had them together. GCC are as stated bird's that are easily affronted and don't back down. I think they can act more jealous than a cockatiel.

We have lots of cockatiels owners. Their opinion would be great to hear from

LaManuka

Staff member
Super Moderator
Aug 29, 2018
Media
Albums
Queensland, Australia
Parrots
Fang ({ab}normal grey cockatiel), Valentino (budgie), Jem (cinnamon cockatiel), Lovejoy(varied lorikeet), Peach (princess parrot)
I've had a cockatiel/GCC combo, although in my case the cockatiel came first and the GCC was added a few years later. My cockatiel is the timid, flighty type, frankly quite a few of them are really, particularly compared to GCCs who tend to be a bit more assertive. It's REALLY hard to say in advance how your GCC may react to a cockatiel, or indeed any bird that you might introduce, your conure may take to them and appreciate having a new birdy friend, or he may not like the idea of his established territory being invaded by a newcomer. My two were never the best of friends but they did tolerate each other pretty well in neutral territory and were never caged together. Things rarely if ever escalated into violence - the worst thing my GCC ever did was pull on my cockatiel's tail a few times. Still you would need to be vigilant and be prepared for the off chance that they might actually end up hating each other, but the same can be said for any introduction of a new bird where another's territory and routines are already established.

I wish you the very best of luck! 🙏

Most Reactions