Giving water to my bird

azgardezi

May 2, 2020
hey everyone !

I have a 3 month old Alex that hasn't weaned yet. The formula says its 2/3rd of water so the parrot should not be given additional water.

My locality is facing extreme heat waves these days and I fear for my bird. Can I give him some water? (5ml - 10ml)?

noodles123

Jul 11, 2018
Parrots
Umbrella Cockatoo- 15? years old..I think?
I hope someone with more insight on hand-raising chimes in---you may find information in this thread: http://www.parrotforums.com/breeding-raising-parrots/74363-so-you-bought-unweaned-baby.html

DO NOT TAKE MY WORD FOR IT ( I could be VERY wrong)but I that most babies got their water from their food/formula (at least when they are still very young)...That also sounds like a lot of water...Wait for someone who knows better to answer before doing anything...It sounds possibly dangerous to me, but I am not an expert on this.

Last edited:

SilverSage

Sep 14, 2013
Columbus, GA
Parrots
Eclectus, CAG, BH Pionus, Maximilian’s Pionus, Quakers, Indian Ringnecks, Green Cheeked Conures, Black Capped Conures, Cockatiels, Lovebirds, Budgies, Canaries, Diamond Doves, Zebra Finches, Society F
Keep clean water and fresh veggies in the brooder, change them every few hours. He will decide on his own when to start eating and drinking. Do NOT give him water by syringe unless you know he’s dehydrated.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

noodles123

Jul 11, 2018
Parrots
Umbrella Cockatoo- 15? years old..I think?
Keep clean water and fresh veggies in the brooder, change them every few hours. He will decide on his own when to start eating and drinking. Do NOT give him water by syringe unless you know he’s dehydrated.

Would hot weather alone cause a baby to become dehydrated if getting regular feedings and properly shaded?
Any thoughts on how he would know if the bird was dehydrated?
How much water would he give in that instance?
Is there a temperature or purity standard for the water if he had to give it by syringe?

Last edited:
OP
A

azgardezi

May 2, 2020

Many thanks for your post. I will do that. Any suggestions as to what veggies should I start with?

He does trim his feet with his beak these days and is exploring things in the brooder.

I have attached a picture of my bird for your reference.

Attachments

• WhatsApp Image 2020-05-02 at 21.34.15.jpeg
    WhatsApp Image 2020-05-02 at 21.34.15.jpeg
    130.1 KB · Views: 110

SilverSage

Sep 14, 2013
Columbus, GA
Parrots
Eclectus, CAG, BH Pionus, Maximilian’s Pionus, Quakers, Indian Ringnecks, Green Cheeked Conures, Black Capped Conures, Cockatiels, Lovebirds, Budgies, Canaries, Diamond Doves, Zebra Finches, Society F
Lots of variety and color. He doesn’t actually live in that box, right? He has a proper brooder?

OP
A

azgardezi

May 2, 2020
Haha no not at all. This is his feed box. Its easy to put on the table. :) The living quarters are much larger

OP
A

azgardezi

May 2, 2020
Please name a few veggies that are parrot friendly. I am sure there are some that need to be avoided. What about apples and bananas?

Chulbul

May 2, 2020
Please name a few veggies that are parrot friendly. I am sure there are some that need to be avoided. What about apples and bananas?

Just saw the photo of your bird. He looks like a 2 month old chick . I suggest you should keep him on Hand feed for 3 times a day and not experiment much with his diet. Indigestion of food is a big worry at this age.
You can give him watery fruits like Green or Black Grapes, watermelon occasionally ...but again hand crushed ..because they mostly swallow food.

No matter what never overfeed them. It's ok if they are little hungry at the end of it. Measure your food n increase only with time.

He needs lots of your attention and care untill is full fur. Head not wobbelling .

charmedbyekkie

May 24, 2018
US/SG
Parrots
Cairo the Ekkie!

Just saw the photo of your bird. He looks like a 2 month old chick . I suggest you should keep him on Hand feed for 3 times a day and not experiment much with his diet. Indigestion of food is a big worry at this age.
You can give him watery fruits like Green or Black Grapes, watermelon occasionally ...but again hand crushed ..because they mostly swallow food.

No matter what never overfeed them. It's ok if they are little hungry at the end of it. Measure your food n increase only with time.

He needs lots of your attention and care untill is full fur. Head not wobbelling .

No, don't go too fruit heavy. Too much sugar isn't good for any bird.

What are the local veggies in your area? Just a few general rules - no onions of any kind, avoid too much spinach (most greens are ok), squash/pumpkins are ok, avoid potatoes (if you decide to give sweet potatoes, cook them).

Most Reactions

Latest posts