hiriki

Oct 19, 2014
Chicago, IL
Parrots
(Birdie - Jenday Conure)
(Kiwi - Green Cheek Conure)
(Elby - Lovebird)
(Gorou & Liberty - Ringneck Doves)
Hello all. I feel like I've been posting a lot... lol.

So before I started learning about positive reinforcement training, operant conditioning, clicker training, etc, I was working with my lovebird very differently. Getting her to go home in particular is a bit of an issue. She's fully flighted and sometimes will put herself home, but for the most part I have to convince her to go home. My OLD method was to sing "go home" and follow her calmly around the room until she put herself home, and then placing a treat with her in her cage. HOWEVER even before learning more about training I had a bad feeling about this method. I want to encourage her to approach me, not reward her for running away from me :(

She's just about target trained now but she still won't follow the stick more than a few inches... She most certainly will not step up for me yet, never mind recall training.

I don't want to continue my go home method because it seems to directly contradict all of the other work I'm doing and I don't want to confuse her. What is an alternative method that would work for a hand-shy lovebird?

OP
hiriki

hiriki

Oct 19, 2014
Chicago, IL
Parrots
(Birdie - Jenday Conure)
(Elby - Lovebird)
It does sound very simple, I will give this a try. I'm worried the treat won't be enough to convince her to go back but as long as I give myself a good half-hour to put her home so I'm never in a rush, this should work.

May 2, 2021
Media
Albums
Vermont, USA
Parrots
Stormy(M): blue Australian budgie
Picasso(F): green Australian budgie
Apollo(F): sky blue dominant pied Australian budgie
It does sound very simple, I will give this a try. I'm worried the treat won't be enough to convince her to go back but as long as I give myself a good half-hour to put her home so I'm never in a rush, this should work.
Sounds good! Keep us posted on her progress.

OP
hiriki

hiriki

Oct 19, 2014
Chicago, IL
Parrots
(Birdie - Jenday Conure)
(Elby - Lovebird)
Well! I wasn't able to just put the treat in her food bowl and leave it because the moment I stepped away, she just looked back at me and forgot it was there.

But, I actually *was* able to target her back to the cage with the chopstick. I'm kind of shocked.

Elby is home, it was a success! Lol.

Owlet

Oct 27, 2016
Colorado
Parrots
Lincoln (Eclectus), Apollo (Cockatiel), Aster (GCC)
I'm currently in school to become a certified dog trainer, though the methods taught are frequently used with zoo animals and etc. The method I would recommend is to just watch her and whenever you see her going into her cage say "go home" as she goes in and give her a treat once she is in. This is called capture training. Don't say "go home" repeatedly until she does it, just as she is going into the cage.

Most Reactions

Latest posts