Good and Bad News from the Vet

Scott

Supporting Member
Aug 21, 2010
San Diego, California USA, Earth, Milky Way Galaxy
Parrots
Goffins: Gabby, Abby, Squeaky, Peanut, Popcorn / Citron: Alice / Eclectus: Angel /Timneh Grey: ET / Blue Fronted Amazon: Gonzo /

RIP Gandalf and Big Bird, you are missed.
Sadly, Angel's heart seemed to grow gradually weaker despite the Pimobendan. Water retention became a greater issue, and increased dosages of furesomide (Lasix) were less effective.

In the U.S. Pimobendan is sold only in pill form for mammals. You an purchase capsules in Canada and add water to give as fluid. I had to go to a special compounding pharmacy that manufactured the capsules. My AV declares it to be a game-changing drug. A client's Grey has been doing well for about 6 years.

Tragic reflection that some vets are biased against smaller birds. While I haven't had any, folks note they have big-personalities and thus ought be treated as unique treasured beings. I would be VERY upset if a vet spoke about one of my birds in that context.

OP
Teddscau

Teddscau

Sep 25, 2015
Media
Ontario, Canada
Parrots
Budgies: Sunshine, Blanco, Azure; Peach-faced lovebirds: Rosie and Jaybird; YSA: Jasper (♀)
I'd read Pimobendan was used in dogs, and I imagine that, or something similar, is what our little chihuahua will be on in a couple of years (she has mitral valve disease). Water belly definitely seems to be a huge problem when it comes to heart disease in birds. I'm sorry your kiddie didn't do as well as the grey. Given how this is such a huge problem with chickens (the poor broiler chickens are bred to grow so large, so freakishly fast that their hearts give out, their legs shatter under their own weight, and their organs shut down), you'd think we'd know a bit more on treating heart disease.

It's frustrating when I take my birds to the vet. With Morris, at least I know he's doing what he can. He's not "quite" as experienced as "actual" avian vets, as he doesn't constantly work with birds. He works with cats, dogs, ferrets, rats, mice, hamsters, guinea pigs, rabbits, fish, snakes, lizards, birds, etc. He's no Dr. Ross Perry (he's the only avian vet I know about :p), but he's like the Swiss Army knife of vets. He's the guy who notices something that a dozen other vets have missed...I might be exaggerating slightly.

Anyways, can you believe it? I don't know a whole lot about avian medicine (although I probably know a bit more than the average parront), so I didn't know what to say when that avian vet I took Charlie to was talking about how he was "old" and "weak" and stuff. Like, I'd had Charlie for at least 9 years, so I had a bit of an idea that he "might" be a senior, given the fact that he was 9! It's like saying a 70 year old human doesn't need medical care because they're "probably dying" because they're "old".

I wanted to say something, but she was the so-called expert. I don't do well in those sorts of situations, but I was confident he wouldn't have a heart attack from being x-rayed. Also, abdomens don't just fill up with fluid for no reason. Yes, the elderly aren't the healthiest and their bodies are breaking down, but all their health problems happen for a reason. If I brought an elderly bird to the vet because their lungs were crackly (that's not why I brought him), I EXPECT the use of a stethoscope, x-rays, and a physical exam, and NOT to just be told that the bird would probably have a heart attack from being examined. Then, I expect them to give me antibiotics (or whatever). The next time someone points out that one of my birds is small or old, I'm going to throw a fit.

Tsk, seriously, nobody has the right to discourage or deny my "small" birds the same care that a "large" parrot would get. It's also annoying, because apparently they "can't" run the same blood tests because my birds are too small. Probably because they waste half the blood. Seriously, when a human has blood taken, they take at least 4 tubes. But when you take a tiny chihuahua to the vet, they only need a fraction of that to run the same tests! From what I've been reading, apparently they CAN do most of the same tests that large birds have. I'm so ticked off...

Heck, do birds even have heart attacks from being handled? If that were true, then at least 80% of birds at wildlife rehabilitation centres would die before they even receive medical treatment! There wouldn't even be any avian rehabilitation centres! Obviously, if a sick/injured wild bird can survive being caught, driven to the vet, examined, and cared for daily for at least a month in a completely alien environment, then there's no reason a budgie can't be poked at. Just don't set off fireworks or carry him around by his wing, and he should be fine.

Last edited:
OP
Teddscau

Teddscau

Sep 25, 2015
Media
Ontario, Canada
Parrots
Budgies: Sunshine, Blanco, Azure; Peach-faced lovebirds: Rosie and Jaybird; YSA: Jasper (♀)
Took her to Dr. Yee today. Her heart couldn't handle the stress, and Dr. Yee tried to do CPR, but it was time for her to go. She ate some millet on the care ride there.

OP
Teddscau

Teddscau

Sep 25, 2015
Media
Ontario, Canada
Parrots

I pray that God exists, and that there's a heaven, and that animals go there. If it's true, she's having the time of her life right now. I pray it's true. Just imagine what it would be like. There'd be eucalyptus trees to play in, things to shred, wide open skies to fly in, delicious food, no fear, no pain, just love and happiness. She's probably really happy right now and wouldn't want me to be upset. I have to smile for her. She wasn't even 3 yet, but she was unhealthy, so it's good that she's gone. May she be in heaven.

Inger

Parrot of the Month 🏆
Mar 20, 2017
Everett, WA
Parrots
Bumble - Pacific (or Celestial) Parrotlet hatched 02/19/17
Oh sweet Alice. May you be flitting and flying and munching in heaven. [emoji170]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
Teddscau

Teddscau

Sep 25, 2015
Media
Ontario, Canada
Parrots
Dr. Morris did an autopsy, and it turns out she had ovarian cancer. He told Dad that she'd died from blood loss, and that it would have been very quick. I always felt her tummy problems (she's had this problem since she was less than a year old) might be hormone related. Apparently, the tumour was the size of a loonie. For those who don't know, loonies are Canadian $1 coins.

plumsmum2005

Nov 18, 2015
England, UK
Parrots
Lou, Ruby, and Sonu.
Fly free Plum, my gorgeous boy.
Again so very sorry, blessing she went quick. I was wondering if it was genetic rather than hormonal? Do you know how her siblings are?
Thanks for the explanation loonies here are nut jobs ;-)

OP
Teddscau

Teddscau

Sep 25, 2015
Media
Ontario, Canada
Parrots
Dr. Morris checked her over again, and it turns out she actually had a kidney tumour, not an ovarian tumour. However, a few weeks ago, her cere turned blue, which would be indicative of ovarian cancer (but he said it was actually her kidney that had a tumour, not the ovary). Yet, he told my dad that she's a male. I don't know if he was basing it on the colour of her cere (in a healthy budgie, the cere colour is a reliable method of sexing), or if he found testicals. Either way, she was young and had a blue cere like young females have. Sexually mature males have a deep blue cere, but her baby cere was a light blue. After a few months, she hit sexual maturity and it turned tan/brown in colour.

Regardless of whether or not she has testicals or ovaries, it doesn't matter. She's female, regardless. Look up "XY-females" to see what I mean.

As for her siblings, I don't know a thing about them. All I know is that she had lived with an animal hoarder, and she had PTSD as a result of it. I mean, captive budgies aren't the healthiest (inbred as heck), but to have cancer at such a young age?

Here in Canada, we nut cases "crackpots" or "nut jobs." Or "loonies." Obviously, we're only talking about people who act eradically because they're idiots, and not because they suffer from mental illness. Anyways, we call our $1 coins "loonies" because they have a loon on them. If you ever see a loonie where the loon is landing in the water, KEEP IT! It sells for over $20,000, if I'm not mistaken. We call our $2 coins "toonies" (a combination of "loonie" and "two"). Toonies have are silver with gold in the centre. In the centre, there's a polar bear on an ice flow. Sometimes, the momma polar bear has two cubs with her.

I'm glad she went this way, because she would've been too stubborn to die, and I would've had a hard time deciding whether or not to euthanize her, and whether or not I made the right decision.

Last edited:

Most Reactions