Got a sparrow apparently!

SailBoat

Supporting Member
Jul 10, 2015
Western, Michigan
Parrots
DYH Amazon
Very intelligent birds. They are capable of much including interacting with you. Yes, she will trigger train, but you may want to work with responding to contact calls /recall as you may need to find her some point.

WingedWhimsey

Jul 28, 2011
W.KY
The reason the wildlife official said not to tell anyone about the bird is due to the Migratory Bird Treaty Act. It protects our native songbirds from being removed from the wild or inappropriately handled. Fortunately, since the House Sparrow is a non-native species you can tell whoever you like. Despite their small size the adults are amazingly aggressive and outcompete our native cavity nesters — bluebirds, chickadees, nuthatches, titmice, etc. — often killing the adults as well as the young.

It is indeed a young fledgling as indicated by the fleshy yellow frowning gape (the corners of the mouth). I'd recommend talking to a rehabilitator about how best to care for it long term and whether they know a veterinarian willing to examine it to make sure it isn't carrying anything that could be passed to your parrot. (Keep in mind Avian Flu was quite prevalent earlier this year and birds can be asymptomatic carriers). The list at the following link may be a bit outdated but you may be able to find someone close to you who can give you advice.

OP
zERo

zERo

Staff member
Super Moderator
Dec 9, 2021
Media
Texas
Parrots
Tony-Green QP(M)
Tom-Pineapple GCC(M)
Milly- Sparrow (F)
The reason the wildlife official said not to tell anyone about the bird is due to the Migratory Bird Treaty Act. It protects our native songbirds from being removed from the wild or inappropriately handled. Fortunately, since the House Sparrow is a non-native species you can tell whoever you like. Despite their small size the adults are amazingly aggressive and outcompete our native cavity nesters — bluebirds, chickadees, nuthatches, titmice, etc. — often killing the adults as well as the young.

It is indeed a young fledgling as indicated by the fleshy yellow frowning gape (the corners of the mouth). I'd recommend talking to a rehabilitator about how best to care for it long term and whether they know a veterinarian willing to examine it to make sure it isn't carrying anything that could be passed to your parrot. (Keep in mind Avian Flu was quite prevalent earlier this year and birds can be asymptomatic carriers). The list at the following link may be a bit outdated but you may be able to find someone close to you who can give you advice.

Alright, I didn't know all of this.
I'm worried about avian flu, I thought since she acts so active and eats well maybe she didn't have it. I would feel much safer if I could have her examined by a vet. I will call around, thanks for the link.

OP
zERo

zERo

Staff member
Super Moderator
Dec 9, 2021
Media
Texas
Parrots
Tony-Green QP(M)
Tom-Pineapple GCC(M)
Milly- Sparrow (F)
Update: I contacted a few people on the list, waiting on them to call back. I'll just make my way through all of them gradually.
Milly is so funny! I didn't think a wild bird would be so tame, I guess it's because she's young.
I opened the big door this morning (I mostly have been using the food doors) to change the paper, I put newspaper first then paper towels so its softer for her, I had to take out the foot toys, the vine ball and one I made yesterday, a mini yucca disk with a colored wooden bead on each side and her concern was immense! She was quite unimpressed with my taking her toys and followed my hand to the door trying to stop me!
It was quickly returned, lol. Also found she's scared of orange, like bright orange, I tried to give her an orange bead and she was scared of it but doesn't mind green or yellow.
Still eating great, she LOVES Tops pellet powder!
I got her a non-fuzzy happy hut, she hasn't tried it out yet, not scared, I think she just doesn't understand.
I so hope this little girl makes it!

OP
zERo

zERo

Staff member
Super Moderator
Dec 9, 2021
Media
Texas
Parrots
Tony-Green QP(M)
Tom-Pineapple GCC(M)
Milly- Sparrow (F)
Update: Contacted more people on the list, haven't got any responses, I try more tomorrow.

Milly is still doing great, her fav color, doesn't matter if its food or a toy is undeniably green. She gets so excited in the morning when she sees me coming with her steamed broccoli, she flaps her wing so hard and jumps all around. I've offered her chop that my parrots eat, she didn't much like that. She only really eats broccoli and kale as far as veggies go.
She perched on my hand two days ago as well, and loves shiny stuff like my rings.
I got her Dr. Harveys Fabulous Finch Food which she eats with more gusto than Dr. harveys budgie food. She goes through a whole millet spray per day, and still is eating pellet powder voraciously.

I hardly want to let myself love her, like I do my parrots because I'm afraid she's going to die at any moment, when I was a kid, if you found a bird outside it always died regardless of what you did, but that was a long while ago.
I don't see what purpose it would serve for God to let her live through whatever she made it through in the wild, only to let her die in my care, she's such a feisty bird and I want her to make it so badly.

texsize

Supporting Member
Parrot of the Month 🏆
Oct 23, 2015
Media
so-cal
Parrots
1 YNA (Bingo)
1 OWA (Plumas R.I.P.)
1 RLA (Pacho R.I.P.)
2 GCA(Luna,Merlin) The Twins
1 Congo AG (Bella)
5 Cockatiels
I had a run in with a wild sparrow a few years ago.
Was on my way home from Oregon south on the 5.
Stopped at a rest stop and was standing in front of a vending machine.
Saw movement in the reflection of the vending machine and when I turned around a sparrow was sitting on the ground about 2 feet away.
He stepped up on my finger and was happy to ride my shoulder.
Thought about taking him home (was afraid for his safety being so trusting) but did think it would be right to take him away from his friends and family.

No idea why a wild bird would behave so tame.

Our neighbor had a pet sparrow. It just flew into their house and hung around for some time.

Briburd

Parrot of the Month 🏆
May 25, 2021
Media
San Diego
Parrots
Mojito the green cheek conure
Oh my, what a wonderful story. I truly do wish Milly has a long life full of your love and care ahead of her but no matter what everyday is an incredible gift that you give her. So remind yourself that. Please keep up with the updates. Side note: for some reason Milly reminds me of the bird from Dr. Suess book: Are you My Mother. except now you are her mother. I feel like you could totally write a new version of the book!

SailBoat

Supporting Member
Jul 10, 2015
Western, Michigan
Parrots
DYH Amazon
Update: Contacted more people on the list, haven't got any responses, I try more tomorrow.

Milly is still doing great, her fav color, doesn't matter if its food or a toy is undeniably green. She gets so excited in the morning when she sees me coming with her steamed broccoli, she flaps her wing so hard and jumps all around. I've offered her chop that my parrots eat, she didn't much like that. She only really eats broccoli and kale as far as veggies go.
She perched on my hand two days ago as well, and loves shiny stuff like my rings.
I got her Dr. Harveys Fabulous Finch Food which she eats with more gusto than Dr. harveys budgie food. She goes through a whole millet spray per day, and still is eating pellet powder voraciously.

I hardly want to let myself love her, like I do my parrots because I'm afraid she's going to die at any moment, when I was a kid, if you found a bird outside it always died regardless of what you did, but that was a long while ago.
I don't see what purpose it would serve for God to let her live through whatever she made it through in the wild, only to let her die in my care, she's such a feisty bird and I want her to make it so badly.

It is important to remember that you did not have the Avian Care Knowledge and diet support that you are providing now! Also, in many cases, the wild Bird may have been very sick and what you brought to that creature was moments of Love. That is so very important and far to easy to forget.

Look at the vast improvements that this bird has made in the last few days!! Never fear to Love, life is just to short!!

texsize

Supporting Member
Parrot of the Month 🏆
Oct 23, 2015
Media
so-cal
Parrots
1 YNA (Bingo)
1 OWA (Plumas R.I.P.)
1 RLA (Pacho R.I.P.)
2 GCA(Luna,Merlin) The Twins
1 Congo AG (Bella)
5 Cockatiels
It is important to remember that you did not have the Avian Care Knowledge and diet support that you are providing now! Also, in many cases, the wild Bird may have been very sick and what you brought to that creature was moments of Love. That is so very important and far to easy to forget.

Look at the vast improvements that this bird has made in the last few days!! Never fear to Love, life is just to short!!
Oh that’s so true.:cool::cool:

OP
zERo

zERo

Staff member
Super Moderator
Dec 9, 2021
Media
Texas
Parrots
Tony-Green QP(M)
Tom-Pineapple GCC(M)
Milly- Sparrow (F)

Thank you so much, this is so sweet 😊

OP
zERo

zERo

Staff member
Super Moderator
Dec 9, 2021
Media
Texas
Parrots
Tony-Green QP(M)
Tom-Pineapple GCC(M)
Milly- Sparrow (F)
Oh my, what a wonderful story. I truly do wish Milly has a long life full of your love and care ahead of her but no matter what everyday is an incredible gift that you give her. So remind yourself that. Please keep up with the updates. Side note: for some reason Milly reminds me of the bird from Dr. Suess book: Are you My Mother. except now you are her mother. I feel like you could totally write a new version of the book!
I will keep updating. I read that book before and see the what you mean! Thanks so much for the kind words 😊

OP
zERo

zERo

Staff member
Super Moderator
Dec 9, 2021
Media
Texas
Parrots
Tony-Green QP(M)
Tom-Pineapple GCC(M)
Milly- Sparrow (F)
Update: Milly has started mimicking the budgies! I didn't know songbirds would do something like that but of course they would, they mimic each other in the wild.
I guess she can hear them on the other side of the house.
Short update sorry 😅

SailBoat

Supporting Member
Jul 10, 2015
Western, Michigan
Parrots
DYH Amazon
Update: Milly has started mimicking the budgies! I didn't know songbirds would do something like that but of course they would, they mimic each other in the wild.
I guess she can hear them on the other side of the house.
Short update sorry 😅

And, the dangers of underestimating those wild birds. They're smart and will continue to wow you in the coming months! Enjoy!!

OP
zERo

zERo

Staff member
Super Moderator
Dec 9, 2021
Media
Texas
Parrots
Tony-Green QP(M)
Tom-Pineapple GCC(M)
Milly- Sparrow (F)
Update: I made Milly some chop, she'll only eat green veggies, if I offer other colors she ignores them. I put broccoli, kale, brussell sprouts, ground flax, coconut oil, ceylon cinnamon, and and then an herb blend. She likes it so far, wish she would eat other colors.
Has destroyed a vine ball and a finger trap toys I made her. She has quite the grip with that little beak.

Most Reactions