Got any crazy parrot stories?

Lulu10766

Dec 29, 2022
Parrots
1 Parakeet
Hello! I’m sure someone has done something similar to this before, but what are y’all’s crazy parrot stories?
Do your birds have any quirky traits about them? Have they ever gotten themselves stuck in the craziest situations? What’s the silliest reason they held a grudge? Or do you just have a story that’s so funny that you wanna share it- well, I’ve made a post for that! I wanna hear all about y’all’s stories 😁!

ravvlet

Jun 25, 2019
Seattle WA
Parrots
Kirby - OWA, 33yrs old (2019-)
Broccoli - Dusky Conure - 3?mo old (July 2023 -)
~~~
(Rehomed) Sammy - YNA, 45 yrs old (2022-2023)
(RIP) Cricket - Cockatiel (2019-2022)
I had a TAG about 12 or so years ago, and one time she flew onto my head & pooped off the front of my face and into my tea. Completely missed my nose and face somehow; nailed the beverage.

We also had to be very careful about doing the dishes around her - if we left dirty utensils in the sink, she’d steal them! One time she flew around the kitchen with a dirty bread knife (I don’t know how she got the lift to do so honestly) and ended up dropping it - without hitting anyone or anything thankfully.
I miss that crazy bird!

LaManuka

Staff member
Super Moderator
Aug 29, 2018
Media
Albums
Queensland, Australia
Parrots
Fang ({ab}normal grey cockatiel), Valentino (budgie), Jem (cinnamon cockatiel), Lovejoy(varied lorikeet), Peach (princess parrot)
I'm sure I've posted this elsewhere, but it bears repeating. My Lilly the purple crowned lorikeet (God rest her precious little soul) absolutely HATED it if she ever heard me blow my nose. Whenever she heard it she would zoom over to me from wherever she was, slam into my shoulder (this bird was smaller than a budgie btw), fuzz every feather up to the fullest until it looked like she'd explode, LAUNCH her tiny body into my face with the loudest squawk she could manage and attack my hands, my face, the tissue full of snot, EVERYTHING, until I almost would collapse on the floor in fits of laughter! Disgusting? Yes. Quite the funniest thing I've ever seen? Absolutely!

Terry57

Staff member
Super Moderator
Nov 6, 2013
Media
Albums
Spruce Grove, Alberta, Canada
Parrots
Hawkhead(Darwin),YCA(Dexter),VE (Ekko),OWA(Slater),BHP(Talli),DYH(Calypso),RLA(Kimera),Alex(Xander)CBC(Phoe),IRN (Kodee,Luna,Stevie),WCP (Pisces),CAG(Justice)GCC (Jax), GSC2(Charley)
My Eclectus, Ekko, loved me for the first several months we had him, then he decided that my husband was a much better fit for his affection. He completely stopped talking if I was even in the room.
This went on for about 3-4 years.
One day I had a bucket and was laying on the floor cleaning the legs of the cages. I was huffing and puffing and Ekko came down to the floor, walked over to me and said with his head cocked," Are you okay?"

I cracked up and told him yes, he went back to his cage and didn't speak to me for another 3 years.

wrench13

Staff member
Super Moderator
Parrot of the Month 🏆
Nov 22, 2015
Media
Albums
Isle of Long, NY
Parrots
Yellow Shoulder Amazon, Salty
THis is one from many many years ago. I had a yellow nape Amazon, named Winston. He was an AMAZING talker, equal or better then most Greys, and would pick up new things daily. He picked up all of my childerns baby crys, in example. My ex-wife hated him, if for no other reason then that. Unbeknownst to me, he had learned to imitate all the phones in the house. I was working in the basement one night, and i hear the phone ring. And ring, and ring and ring and ring. I yelled up the stairs "Would you pick up the F-ing phone!!" ANd she yelled down "It's your F-ing PARROT".

Terry57

Staff member
Super Moderator
Nov 6, 2013
Media
Albums
Spruce Grove, Alberta, Canada
Parrots
Hawkhead(Darwin),YCA(Dexter),VE (Ekko),OWA(Slater),BHP(Talli),DYH(Calypso),RLA(Kimera),Alex(Xander)CBC(Phoe),IRN (Kodee,Luna,Stevie),WCP (Pisces),CAG(Justice)GCC (Jax), GSC2(Charley)
THis is one from many many years ago. I had a yellow nape Amazon, named Winston. He was an AMAZING talker, equal or better then most Greys, and would pick up new things daily. He picked up all of my childerns baby crys, in example. My ex-wife hated him, if for no other reason then that. Unbeknownst to me, he had learned to imitate all the phones in the house. I was working in the basement one night, and i hear the phone ring. And ring, and ring and ring and ring. I yelled up the stairs "Would you pick up the F-ing phone!!" ANd she yelled down "It's your F-ing PARROT".
HAHAHA! I can't stop laughing!

zERo

Staff member
Super Moderator
Dec 9, 2021
Media
Texas
Parrots
Tony-Green QP(M)
Tom-Pineapple GCC(M)
Milly- Sparrow (F)
Hmm let's see!

A few months ago Tony my Quaker was on the kitchen table while I worked on my computer, he was just innocently walking around, playing with his toys, and then BAM!
He pounced and grabbed one of my keys!
He ran away with it in his mouth saying 'STOP IT!' and 'Tony!' he knew that's what I'd start saying and he was right!
Luckily I got it back and it still works (don't remember which key it was, but I think it was L)

HeatherG

Apr 25, 2020
My Quaker (five years ago) invited the maintenance workers in when I was taking a shower. She used to yell “oh, shit!” When the alarm clock went off and then when she saw the Dustbuster, vacuum, broom, towel, anything she didn’t like.

She told a visitor “goodbye” until they left. Other bird was saying “dammit” so all in all they were successful.

We sat in front of a greyhound bus and I let all the other people get off first because I had packages. Lucy said goodby to each and every person walking past while I tried to disappear into the seat.

A completely obnoxious bird who always got her needs met. 😁

Rico_Tiel

Oct 21, 2022
Media
Ur mom’s car
Parrots
Ricochet - Cockatiel
Cricket - Budgie
Ooh this is gonna be good!

Okay, here I go!

The day Rico bit my face

I was making some copped up salad for him and I was out of the room for 30 mins max. Stupid me forgot to close the cage door and when I came back, he was gone. Completely. His cage door was wide open and his cage had no bird. I was like “okay, guess I forgot to class the cage. No windows or doors were open so he IS in here.” I turned to my Tv where he usually was and no bird. Looked at my bed. No bird. I start tearing up my room looking for him until suddenly… screeching. It’s the kind cockatiels make when VERY angry and when I looked up, I saw no bird. I looked in the general area for a solid 5 minutes until I saw his dumb little adorable face. Bingo. He was on my backpack on my dresser and he was beginning to get nesty there (he was having a VERY rough pubirdy) and I walked over to him to have him step up and as soon as I got near, he flew up and not be really hard in the face. It was my cheek. He landed on the tv screaming at me as I clutched my face and I look at him and he goes at me AGAIN! He bit my upper lip so hard I bled. I had him step up and he leapt up and flew around me trying to attack me even more! He kept trying to land on my shoulders to bite my cheeks and nose but I would keep him off by shaking my body like a dog so he wouldn’t bite me. Not my proudest moment but it did keep him away. Until he landed on my back when I was taking the backpack off and he bit the part of my neck where it connects to my shoulder. He ran onto my shoulder and bit the small amount of fat on my neck and even my small double chin. As a reflex I jerked my head away and he lost balance and flew off. I was bleeding a lot now so I just told him to step up and I “shunned” him for like 15 minutes. I got all fixed up by grandma and that was that. He never EVER did something that bad before or after this. Now he just likes to watch me lose my marbles over my valuables when he inches closer to their destruction.

The time Rico gave me a 1 inch long bite

He was hormonal, I did something (don’t remember what) and he bit me. I pulled away as a reflex and it was a small gash. It was literally comparable in size to my silly little knife accident from when I was 9 🤪

The time Rico hid and I cried thinking I lost him forever

Rico escaped his old cage (the OLD old cage that was like 8 or 9 years old and pretty beat up) while my mom and I were out doing our usual stuff on Sunday (bowling, shopping, and sometimes getting Rico’s food or treats) and it was I think February 2022? Maybe march? Anyway, turns out the little fat boy managed to slip OUT of the cage from a previously broken bar that he pushed out and was unsupervised for 2 hours. I came back with food, treats, and a few toys. I saw his cage was empty and I panicked I asked my brother what happened to Rico, I was having a panic attack, he said he didn’t know, I asked my dad where Rico is (since he had threatened me with SELLING Rico over me not being caught up with chores) he didn’t know. I went into my room, noticed the screwed up bar and then searched EVERYWHERE for him in my room. I began crying and then I hear Rico laughing. Turns out he fell behind my tv and was stuck! I scooped him up and blew off the dust . Since he was clipped badly and couldn’t fly whatsoever, I connected the dots and realized “oh he jumped from his cage to the TV” since they were near each other and I used some tape as a temporary fix for the bar.

The time Rico had a 2nd silly tv accident

To make a long start short, he was flying in the living room, learning to fly and he was having a blast. He landed on the tv, slipped, and fell BEHIND the living room TV which is mounted on the wall. He fell near the middle and I reached back to try and save him but I accidentally pushed him to the middle. My dad had to scoop him out of there and Rico had never clung to my shoulder so hard before. He really was scared. Poor guy. Blew off the dust from his feathers and gave him some nutriberries. He felt just fine afterwards.

Some neat things about Rico:

He has a patch of white feathers between his legs that form a heart

He is a charcoal whiteface and a potential silver and piebald

He has some white speckles on his shoulders, like little stars!

His beak is becoming half gray

He is bigger than the average cockatiel

The back of his head has a huge patch of white feathers and I like to call him my little opal ore

He knows how to laugh in the right context and sometimes in the “wrong” way and it mildly hurts (like when I’m having a mental breakdown, I stub my toe, or fall over and get hurt)

He thoroughly enjoys the colors baby pink, lilac purple, and green

He can hold things with his foot

His dominant foot/talon is his left!

He is the opposite of the stereotypical tiel: absolutely nutty, holds things with his feet, not super affectionate but does enjoy scritches, doesn’t hang out on you, goes crazy over everything, HIGHLY excitable, very fearless (unless he sees the evil conure statue that has existed longer than he has been alive or the bone ceramic dove bell that has been around longer than I have been alive), and rarely sits still. It’s like he drinks 5 monsters before coming out of his cage!
Rico is quite unique in all aspects!

Most Reactions

Latest posts