Green Cheek Conure behaviour question

Eralus

Oct 20, 2020
Media
So I have recently taken ownership of a Green-Cheek Conure. Not quite a rescue bird, but not well taken care of by the previous owner. Butchered the poor thing's wings (Thankfully nothing permanent) and got little to no attention.

When I first brought him home, he was totally uncomfortable with stepping up and almost anything to do with hands. I had to use a Dowel Rod to move him around. Not because he would bite, but because he just could not step up onto my finger. We eventually got past that and he steps up happily now, but he seems to have shot to the opposite extreme.

He's very active and curious, but he has a bit of an obsession with being held. He will actively insert himself into my hand on a regular basis or perch on my thumb with the rest of my hand covering his back. Or less often, huddled up to my neck. He often won't settle unless he is in a position like this, and when he is he will stay there for as long as I'll let him, preening or napping.

This is obviously adorable as hell, but I'm wondering if this kind of behavior is normal for a conure, or if this is unusual. Most birds I've known hate having their wings covered, but I've never had a conure before so maybe this is just how they are?

T00tsyd

May 8, 2017
UK
Parrots
Green cheek conure - Sydney (Syd) Hatched 2/2017
Syd does exactly the same. He often sleeps/snuggles at the back of my neck when I am working on the PC. I even forget he is there. In fact he is settled there now as I type. His favourite time is when he has had his bath and he must love the warmth to help him dry. As long as behaviour is good I see no problem he is simply bonding with you. If Syd does get naughty/nip me too hard/ or generally play up then losing this privilege sorts him out quicker than anything. The downside is the confetti/dandruff on my black top as he pops his pin feathers. bless him :) ps we spend lots of time with him cupped between my hands singing/chatting/even training. I always make sure that he can 'escape' but he always comes back for more. The only thing to beware of is that you don't stroke or pet his body anywhere - just his head.

Last edited:
OP
E

Eralus

Oct 20, 2020
Media
Syd does exactly the same. He often sleeps/snuggles at the back of my neck when I am working on the PC. I even forget he is there. In fact he is settled there now as I type. His favourite time is when he has had his bath and he must love the warmth to help him dry. As long as behaviour is good I see no problem he is simply bonding with you. If Syd does get naughty/nip me too hard/ or generally play up then losing this privilege sorts him out quicker than anything. The downside is the confetti/dandruff on my black top as he pops his pin feathers. bless him :) ps we spend lots of time with him cupped between my hands singing/chatting/even training. I always make sure that he can 'escape' but he always comes back for more. The only thing to beware of is that you don't stroke or pet his body anywhere - just his head.

Good to know this is normal behavior, I just wasn't sure. I don't stroke or scratch him anywhere but his head. But since he keeps inserting himself into my hand, my hand is often touching/covering his back or belly. Is that an issue?

T00tsyd

May 8, 2017
UK
Parrots
Green cheek conure - Sydney (Syd) Hatched 2/2017
I confess that disturbs me too so I am quite careful to leave space between my fingers and his back/tail etc. If I do properly hold him it is for a very short time.

Flboy

Dec 28, 2014
Greater Orlando area, Florida
Parrots
JoJo, 'Special' GCC, Bongo, Cinnamon GCC(wife's)
Hi! Yes, normal! The wife’s Bongo, will sleep in her hand hours on end! My JoJo? A dude’s dude! You cuddle? You bleed!

Most Reactions

Latest posts