Green cheek conure has clear nasal discharge

miorinsnake

Apr 24, 2022
Parrots
Green cheek conure
Hi! So I have my GCC for only 1 month and she is a 3 months old young bird. She is on pellet and mixed vegetable diet.

When I got her the second week, I noticed she did some dry sneezing when she preening, and she will insert her nail into nostril which induces 2-3 dry sneezing. However, at night when she sleep, she wakes up in the mid night and when I took her out, her nose is wet and one day there is a clear drop of liquid from one nostril to her beak.

I took her to the vet the following Monday, some mucus was washed out when the avian vet did nasal flush. So now she is on Baytril as antibiotics and F10-Saline as nose drop.

Everything seems working and she is on these medication for almost one week. However, yesterday her nose became wet again at midnight, she still slept well after that. This morning she just looks like a normal healthy bird as usual. However, after I fed her Baytril, she suddenly sneezed a lot with clear discharge again. Drops of liquid run down on her beak and it continued for like 5 - 10 mins. I can see liquid in her nose going up and down when she breath. Now the section stopped and she is taking a nap (she usually do at this time)

I am going to schedule another vet check next or the following week. All her lab work from last week's vet check is not coming out yet so I am still waiting. She eats normal, and poop normal. And my vet said her heart/ air sac sounds normal.

I am so confused about whats going on and I am wondering if anyone has any ideas about this situation? Thank you so much

OP
M

miorinsnake

Apr 24, 2022
Parrots
Green cheek conure
here is the image
One is the clear liquid on her beak after I feed her medication (that medication is red! )
the other is the liquid come out when she sneezed.
All symptoms are gone after maybe 10 mins at most

Attachments

• IMG_6395.JPG
    IMG_6395.JPG
    121.4 KB · Views: 147
  • IMG_6394.JPG
    IMG_6394.JPG
    149.2 KB · Views: 203

wrench13

Staff member
Super Moderator
Parrot of the Month 🏆
Nov 22, 2015
Media
Albums
Isle of Long, NY
Parrots
Yellow Shoulder Amazon, Salty
SO please make sure the vet is a certified avian vet, not a dog and cat vet who also sees birds. Baytril is a general antibiotic used but there are more effective ones that are used to treat stubborn nasal infections ( sorry I forget the name) however a real CAV will know this and prescribe the most effective one. Make sure she is getting all the medicine dose needed and continue the treatment until all the meds are used.

Laurasea

Aug 2, 2018
USA
Parrots
Full house
So a very common infection that matches your symptoms is chlamydiaosis. Baytril can make them seem a little better but is the wrong antibiotic to treat, won't cure. If it is chlamydiaosis it requires 45 days of doxycline to treat, basically no other antibiotics will work. Tho tetracycline and azithromycin are reported to, but doxycline is tge antibiotic of choice. My vet tried the other antibiotics and it didn't cure them we had to switch to doxycline.

Laurasea

Aug 2, 2018
USA
Parrots
Full house
Here is a fact sheet, really its uncommon for humans to catch from their birds, but can happen. Young birds just brought home its common to break with this.

Symptoms are highly variable in birds. But often a respiratory component with green tinged stool. Weight loss as well, a few if mine that was only symptom. So buy a digital kitchen scale a d track weight, best is morning after first poop. I just put them on the scale nothing fancy like a perch needed
https://vcahospitals.com/know-your-...ent is usually with oral,a minimum of 45 days.

Laurasea

Aug 2, 2018
USA
Parrots
Full house
And to be clear I'm not diagnosing your parrot and claiming this is the only thing he can have , many infections have similar symptoms. I'm hudt providing information on a very common type of infection. Discuss with your vet the possibility.

This is on baytril , and how won't treat chlamydiaosis infection. Plus baytril is highly likely to cause secondary yeast overgrowth which requires treatment with antifungal like nystatin. Doxycline rarely causes a yeast overgrowth. I treated 7 parrots, only one developed yeast overgrowth but she had bern in multiple rounds

OP
M

miorinsnake

Apr 24, 2022
Parrots
Green cheek conure
SO please make sure the vet is a certified avian vet, not a dog and cat vet who also sees birds. Baytril is a general antibiotic used but there are more effective ones that are used to treat stubborn nasal infections ( sorry I forget the name) however a real CAV will know this and prescribe the most effective one. Make sure she is getting all the medicine dose needed and continue the treatment until all the meds are used.
Yes, the vet I am seeing is certified avian vet. So he took samples but we are still waiting for the lab result.

I am just confused about her symptoms. Everything seems fine except clear nasal discharge. And she didn't have a single wet sneeze today after the horrifying reaction in the morning. I will call the vet again on Monday but she just doesn't look like infection?

OP
M

miorinsnake

Apr 24, 2022
Parrots
Green cheek conure
So a very common infection that matches your symptoms is chlamydiaosis. Baytril can make them seem a little better but is the wrong antibiotic to treat, won't cure. If it is chlamydiaosis it requires 45 days of doxycline to treat, basically no other antibiotics will work. Tho tetracycline and azithromycin are reported to, but doxycline is tge antibiotic of choice. My vet tried the other antibiotics and it didn't cure them we had to switch to doxycline.
Thank you so much for the reply.
We did test on Chlamydia and still waiting for the result. My vet suggested to use Baytril but he did say if its Chlamydia or a more specific diagnosis he will change the medication.
So far the only thing happened is nasal discharge. Before Baytril, 1-2times every 2-3days, and after Baytril for 6 days today is the first time.

I also did other tests, all are waiting for a result (take so long for the lab work)

My vet also prescribed probiotics

If there is an infection, will the situation being so mild like mine GCC? She doesn't have any signs of infection and even for the wet sneezing/ discharge, its all gone in 5-10 mins. I am just so confused

OP
M

miorinsnake

Apr 24, 2022
Parrots
Green cheek conure
Here is a fact sheet, really its uncommon for humans to catch from their birds, but can happen. Young birds just brought home its common to break with this.

Symptoms are highly variable in birds. But often a respiratory component with green tinged stool. Weight loss as well, a few if mine that was only symptom. So buy a digital kitchen scale a d track weight, best is morning after first poop. I just put them on the scale nothing fancy like a perch needed
https://vcahospitals.com/know-your-pet/chlamydophilosis-in-birds#:~:text=Treatment is usually with oral,a minimum of 45 days.
Thanks again for the information
She has no weight loss (actually increased 1-2 g after I got her); No change in stool. All seems healthy except clear nasal discharge/ wet sneezing really worries me

Laurasea

Aug 2, 2018
USA
Parrots
Full house
Sounds like an excellent veterinarian.
Chlamydiaosis is hard to verify even with tests, so often worth treatment if suspected.

Yes you can have mild symptoms as described. Unfortunately I had a mixed species flock wide outbreak of Chlamydiaosis. Some burds were critically ill, some mild symptoms, some no symptoms except weight loss.

OP
M

miorinsnake

Apr 24, 2022
Parrots
Green cheek conure
Sounds like an excellent veterinarian.
Chlamydiaosis is hard to verify even with tests, so often worth treatment if suspected.

Yes you can have mild symptoms as described. Unfortunately I had a mixed species flock wide outbreak of Chlamydiaosis. Some burds were critically ill, some mild symptoms, some no symptoms except weight loss.
Thank you so much for all the information
I will ask my vet again tomorrow. I am just being really worried about her. She is only 3 months old and not much immunity!

Laurasea

Aug 2, 2018
USA
Parrots
Full house
she should be gaining weight as she is still young and not mature.

Your welcome.

Yes intermittent sneezing intermittent clear discharge can be a symptoms of chlamydiaosis. But can also be symptoms of something else. I'm not a veterinarian, and I'm not seeing your bird in person. Best discussion with your veterinarian.

And thank you for being such a good parrent! And seeking a veterinarian quickly!

Laurasea

Aug 2, 2018
USA
Parrots
Full house
Well warmth , Xtra warmth like providing k&h cage warmer. Or my preferred sweeter heater as found on Amazon a Radiant heat source. Smallest available more than enough.

Warmth is very important in supporting sick parrots. 85-90f . Really helps them, saves them calories. Is also great for when Temps drop abd chilly, or to snuggle up to after a bath. The sweeter heater is an investment at 100 dollars or so. But it has helped save my burds lives, and I've had one fir 20 years

Most Reactions

Latest posts