Green cheek conure surgery

Keshni Ramsamy

May 13, 2024
Parrots
African Grey, Green cheek, cinnamon conure and love bird
Good day Guys,

I'm fairly new here and need some urgent advice as I have had my GCC for over a year now and he was such a happy snuggly lil guy who always were and active until about 3 weeks ago he stopped eating much, falling of the perch and spending most time on the cage floor.

I already did research and finding out those are the main signs of an ill bird, so I got him to the VET they were analyzing and monitoring him, and he had a seizure whilst he was there, so they took extra care and vigilance.

they had done scans and realized that the gizzard of the bird had pushed to the left but can't see what's actually causing it, so they opted to do an InterScope but at my own risk.

With the faith that I have I agreed because I would feel devasted if I didn't try.

so now he's at the next suggested VET to do the InterScope but we were also advised that he's a very young bird and they would have to monitor again and get him much better to do this has anesthetic is normally fatal... bear in mind after the InterScope if there's anything else there they would need to do another surgery to remove if theres a tumor, abscess or whatever

Did anyone have a similar issue, I need some reassurance that's all :(

I need to know if anyone experienced this with their bird ... I'm sure any of you who have pets don't regard them as just that but also a loved one!

My heart breaks I know it's a risk and I'm liable but if I don't try, I won't know!

LaManuka

Staff member
Super Moderator
Aug 29, 2018
Media
Albums
Queensland, Australia
Parrots
Fang ({ab}normal grey cockatiel), Valentino (budgie), Jem (cinnamon cockatiel), Lovejoy(varied lorikeet), Peach (princess parrot)
Good day Guys,

I'm fairly new here and need some urgent advice as I have had my GCC for over a year now and he was such a happy snuggly lil guy who always were and active until about 3 weeks ago he stopped eating much, falling of the perch and spending most time on the cage floor.

I already did research and finding out those are the main signs of an ill bird, so I got him to the VET they were analyzing and monitoring him, and he had a seizure whilst he was there, so they took extra care and vigilance.

they had done scans and realized that the gizzard of the bird had pushed to the left but can't see what's actually causing it, so they opted to do an InterScope but at my own risk.

With the faith that I have I agreed because I would feel devasted if I didn't try.

so now he's at the next suggested VET to do the InterScope but we were also advised that he's a very young bird and they would have to monitor again and get him much better to do this has anesthetic is normally fatal... bear in mind after the InterScope if there's anything else there they would need to do another surgery to remove if theres a tumor, abscess or whatever

Did anyone have a similar issue, I need some reassurance that's all :(

I need to know if anyone experienced this with their bird ... I'm sure any of you who have pets don't regard them as just that but also a loved one!

My heart breaks I know it's a risk and I'm liable but if I don't try, I won't know!
I'm very sorry for what you and your little one are going through! General anaesthesia does carry some risk, but not always, and I have been in your position and agree that it's best you do whatever you can although it is very frightening. I am praying that whatever your baby is going through it is treatable and that he makes a full recovery!! πŸ™πŸ™πŸ™πŸ™πŸ™

OP
K

Keshni Ramsamy

May 13, 2024
Parrots
I'm very sorry for what you and your little one are going through! General anaesthesia does carry some risk, but not always, and I have been in your position and agree that it's best you do whatever you can although it is very frightening. I am praying that whatever your baby is going through it is treatable and that he makes a full recovery!! πŸ™πŸ™πŸ™πŸ™πŸ™
Thank you so so much !

OP
K

Keshni Ramsamy

May 13, 2024
Parrots
Did your situation have success ?

LaManuka

Staff member
Super Moderator
Aug 29, 2018
Media
Albums
Queensland, Australia
Parrots
Fang ({ab}normal grey cockatiel), Valentino (budgie), Jem (cinnamon cockatiel), Lovejoy(varied lorikeet), Peach (princess parrot)
Did your situation have success ?
Mine was rather different, as it involved long term chronic egg laying and kidney failure in a MUCH smaller bird. Green cheeks are very resilient and although I cannot give 100% guarantee I am hoping your little one will make it!

OP
K

Keshni Ramsamy

May 13, 2024
Parrots
Mine was rather different, as it involved long term chronic egg laying and kidney failure in a MUCH smaller bird. Green cheeks are very resilient and although I cannot give 100% guarantee I am hoping your little one will make it!
That is just absolutely sad ... those lil babies deserve all the time with us on earth

OP
K

Keshni Ramsamy

May 13, 2024
Parrots
Hi Lamanuka ,

I got news, he actually has yeast infection ... im not sure what caused or triggered it and all the symtoms match that.

so now road to recovery

thank you

onamom

Staff member
Super Moderator
Parrot of the Month πŸ†
May 9, 2022
Indiana, USA
Parrots
Ona: Dilute Green Cheek Conure
So sorry you and your baby had to go through this. I hope he is recovering and doing well.

Most Reactions

Latest posts