Green Cheeked - Fly

JayJay65

Oct 12, 2007
Hi, first post!

lol, I was wondering how I can teach my Green Cheeked Conure that it is OKAY to fly, and have him master his skill at flying.. I know he can; when i put him on my hand (not finger) hand.. and i lightly move my hand above me and twist, he flies off, but I KNOW he doesnt like it.. I want him to get used to being ABLE to fly.. How can I do this?

Chewy

Aug 24, 2007
Media
Washington state
Parrots
1cockatoo Chewy 2 cockatiels Male=eli female-=LittleFoot
well have you been told of all the dangers and are you able to keep her from them? Then if you are just give him time. he will fly when he's good and ready basically.

TexDot33

Bird poop and baby poop
Dec 26, 2006
Media
New Hampshire USA
Parrots
15 year-old Sun Conure: Hamlet &
14 year-old Green-Cheeked Conure: Mac
We had this same problem with our Sun Conure ... his very first clip was way too short (PetCo clipped all of his flights, he fell like a lead weight to the ground when ever he fell ... it was scary actually) ... He now sports a "long clip" (we leave the three outer primaries alone and clip the other six or seven off) he is just now starting to realize that he CAN fly - mind you he isn't graceful by any means ... but how we got him to learn ... well, we got a Green Cheek Conure and let him teach our Sun how to do it ... now they are flying together ...

Tracy842

Super Moderator
Jan 12, 2007
Media
Alberta, Canada
Parrots
Popsicle the Senegal Parrot &
Pepsi the Mealy Amazon
I have the same problem with my Senegal. She has never flown until recently when she has grown in her flight feathers. Remember to that they need to build up their muscles so they can be able to fly. Besides that they will do it when they are comfortable. I think Popsicle hates flying and don't want to do it ever.
There was a website posted on the forums by Nicole I think, I will try and find it to repost it again.

sunconure

Aug 24, 2005
Media
Albums
Cedar Park, TX
Parrots
sun conure girls: Allie & Kira
Your bird will fly when he is ready. I can't remember when it was that I got Alliee flyin around like a pro...but slowly and surely. She would always fly out to my shoulder when I was leaving the room. Eventually I would take her to the game room on the oposite side of the second floor and tell her to "go home" and she would fly to my room and to her cage. I started doing that from short distances and somewhat "pushed" her off my finger to get her to fly to her cage. These excercises helped her with precision flying and getting her to fly in general. Now sometimes she just flies into the game room and back into my room to spread out her wings. When ever I am home for the weekends I will do this with her a few times a day just to keep her good.

TexDot33

Bird poop and baby poop
Dec 26, 2006
Media
New Hampshire USA
Parrots
15 year-old Sun Conure: Hamlet &
14 year-old Green-Cheeked Conure: Mac
Wow, Emily, long time no see ... how are the girls? Please, don't be a stranger!

DeadIrishD

Jul 9, 2006
Perhaps I am wrong, but don't most of the problems with birds flying occur with thoes of which do not know how to fly well, or are not strong flyers?

BlueAviator

Oct 21, 2007
CT
Parrots
Jenday Conure...just over a year old. Lookin for a new home while i'm in the Air Force.
Are we talking indoor or outside flying?? I let my parakeet fly around the house all day and let me tell ya...its unreal how accurate and quick he is....but these parrots that are larger that you are all talking about, can they really navigate inside a house? I was under the impression once i decide what to get i would have to keep all the wings clipped?? (The house i'm in is a raised ranch w/ 4 bedrooms, kitchen, living room, and dining room attached so he can make one big cirlce at the end of the house...but now he is good enough to go down the hallway in and out of ever bedroom) The last parakeet i had even managed to learn how to descend to the downstairs and continue flying around! It was all a matter of time it seemed.

Catch

Sep 8, 2009
Hi, I have a 9 week old green cheeck and he flies around the house, his big trick is flying straight at me and then dive left or right and lands behind me on the couch or now when he is becoming the expert (in landing aswell) on my shoulder. I never clipped his wings, he flew small bits when I got him (from his cage to me) but he goes every where now. I did have a wee problem when he went upstrais, I had to go and collect him, but after he discovered how to go down, no more problem. His solution was sitting upstairs on the bannister he let himself drop down and at the last moment spread his wings, no more problem. These little birds are very clever and have courage that would but a human to shame. I was scared at first as I was afraid he would fly into the windows, I did show him al the windows no proplem. A friend of mine who has a senegal flies to his cage from his boss (wings are clipped) but now he has seen Catch, he started to fly too, he is two and a half. So I think a bird will fly when he wants too, to make it attractive you can go further from his cage everyday and let him fly to you he does have to develop his muscles as mine now has a very wide breast with all his stunt flying. give him his favourite treat when he does.

Most Reactions

Latest posts