Greetings from the Pacific Northwest

OP
rdc

rdc

Feb 21, 2019
Portland, Oregon
Parrots
"Agi" HH, "Bobby" BHP, "Buzzy" CAG, "Hubbard aka 'The Hubs' " RLA, "Iris" HYM, "KK" YNA,
"Lucy" FA (Festive Amazon) "Mickey" RFC (Roseifrons Conure), "Morgan" TAG, and “Sunny” B&G
Here in lies the issue. I was visiting my boy Tucker at the refuge, and he was a no-brainer, took to me very quickly like we were old friends. When I went out back to bring him to his cage, there was a "hello... hello," coming from the other side of the room. There was Baxter, leaning out to reach me. I was warned that she's very particular, and only likes women with short hair. Her body language said otherwise. I put an arm up for her and she climbed up and put her head down for skritches. Turns out that I was the only male she's allowed to handle her, period! She's been there for about a year. On the next weekend's visit with Tucker, she was out front, and was excited to see me. I had already determined that Tucker was coming home with me, but then, here is this beautiful Amazon wanting to be with me too. I hung out with her also during the visit and she talked, whistled, and snuggled up against my neck, and begged for head scratches. I feel special, and chosen! I keep hoping she will be like that with another person, but last I checked, no one yet. My heart goes out to her.

The only thing holding me back from bringing her home is wanting to be fair to both of them. I hate the thought of jealousy for my time between them, and I work during the day, so morning and evening time is at a premium.

I've not had an eclectus, but I know that jealousy issues can be managed, and you might even be bringing home a companion bird not just for yourself, but also for Tucker. Sounds like an extraordinary opportunity and will be interesting to hear what happens.

saxguy64

Staff member
Super Moderator
Apr 24, 2018
Media
Albums
Maine, USA
Parrots
Tucker the Red Sided Eclectus
Baxter the YNA
Avery the CAG
Patches the Grand Eclectus, my best friend. RIP
Cuckoo the BFA RIP
I thought for sure my wife would be the one to say no, that one is enough, since she's not the bird person. When I told her about Baxter, she thought it might be a good thing for them to keep each other company during the day. That response floored me. Obviously separate cages, and opposite sides of the room, but they did love to vocalize with the other birds at the refuge. So... I will have to see how she's doing next time I go there for food and supplies, and take it from there. Probably this coming weekend as things are running low.

Thank you BTW, it's good to get perspective from people who have multiples.

OP
rdc

rdc

Feb 21, 2019
Portland, Oregon
Parrots
"Agi" HH, "Bobby" BHP, "Buzzy" CAG, "Hubbard aka 'The Hubs' " RLA, "Iris" HYM, "KK" YNA,
"Lucy" FA (Festive Amazon) "Mickey" RFC (Roseifrons Conure), "Morgan" TAG, and “Sunny” B&G
I thought for sure my wife would be the one to say no, that one is enough, since she's not the bird person. When I told her about Baxter, she thought it might be a good thing for them to keep each other company during the day. That response floored me. Obviously separate cages, and opposite sides of the room, but they did love to vocalize with the other birds at the refuge. So... I will have to see how she's doing next time I go there for food and supplies, and take it from there. Probably this coming weekend as things are running low.

This story of you and Baxter is starting to sound like the end of the movie Casablanca when Humphrey Bogart tells Claude Rains, "This is the Beginning of a Beautiful Friendship".

saxguy64

Staff member
Super Moderator
Apr 24, 2018
Media
Albums
Maine, USA
Parrots
Tucker the Red Sided Eclectus
Baxter the YNA
Avery the CAG
Patches the Grand Eclectus, my best friend. RIP
Cuckoo the BFA RIP

This story of you and Baxter is starting to sound like the end of the movie Casablanca when Humphrey Bogart tells Claude Rains, "This is the Beginning of a Beautiful Friendship".
Lol I guess it does :)

Tami2

Aug 18, 2017
New Jersey
Parrots
Levi - 6 yr old CAG

DOH-4/2/2016
Hello and welcome!

Your family/flock is lovely. :heart: I checked out all your pix. :)
You sure do have a full house, I'm very impressed.
I have my hands full just trying to keep one bird happy.

Glad you found us.

OP
rdc

rdc

Feb 21, 2019
Portland, Oregon
Parrots
Hello and welcome!

Your family/flock is lovely. :heart: I checked out all your pix. :)
You sure do have a full house, I'm very impressed.
I have my hands full just trying to keep one bird happy.

Glad you found us.

Thanks, Tami.

Your Levi is a handsome fellow, and you are caring for him very well.

As I look around and talk to people, I see that the world is rapidly becoming more challenging for parrots and their owners.

I was just at the vet's office today, and one of the techs there told me the gruesome story of a landlord charging tenants a $500 deposit for each bird plus $100 a month. Horrible how savage and predatory some people are.

On that not-so-happy note, I'm off to bed and will enjoy the company and warmth of a macaw who's become my sleep-mate.

Nice meeting you, and it's great finding such a community of parrot lovers.

Most Reactions

Latest posts