jessybean

Feb 10, 2022
Parrots
New- Female Pineapple green cheeked conure
RIP- Orville the Green Cheeked Conure ā¤ļø
Hi everyone,

Iā€™m new to joining the forum but have been reading posts for quite some time. I recently lost my gorgeous green cheeked conure in a tragic accident, his name was Orville and he was my best friend šŸ˜ž. He was completely untamed when I got him but after a lot of patience he became so affectionate with the whole family, he had such a beautiful personality. Iā€™m obviously still grieving him but couldnā€™t be without a bird so yesterday purchased a pineapple green cheeked conure, (Iā€™ve yet to name her, Iā€™m torn between Mindy and braidy, thoughts welcome!) Again, she is completely untamed and never been held before, sheā€™s ten months old but I like a challenge and itā€™s so rewarding when they begin to trust and love you. Sorry for the long post but just looking for tips to help grieve Orville and tame the new baby at the same time.

Thanks all! ā¤ļø

PS- attached is a picture of Orville and the new bird, picture quality not great because sheā€™s very shy.

Attachments

• ED2A6FCC-3EE1-4714-AEF0-5D3EA4C87072.jpeg
    ED2A6FCC-3EE1-4714-AEF0-5D3EA4C87072.jpeg
    275.5 KB · Views: 70
  • BE27E4D4-B602-4A9C-BE97-21FD67F2FC3F.jpeg
    BE27E4D4-B602-4A9C-BE97-21FD67F2FC3F.jpeg
    403.4 KB · Views: 72

SailBoat

Supporting Member
Jul 10, 2015
Western, Michigan
Parrots
DYH Amazon
The loss of a dear family member is tragic and heartbreaking. Understand that many of us here on ParrotForum have likewise felt what you are feeling. Although it does not help, it is a least comforting that you and yours are not alone. The pain never really leaves but, with time, we begin remembering the wonderful times, the smiles, the laughter and joy. They build such wonderful places in our heart and always seem to start another space next to theirs for a new member.

Starting over may seems overwhelming, but it is not. The most important part is Moving At The Rate of Your Parrot! Kind of like: "Slow Down, You Move To Fast!" Place no expectations in place and reward each tiny step forward. Once you begin, you will remember. Point being, It is never the fault of the Parrot, it is always the fault of the Human1

foxgloveparrot

Parrot of the Month šŸ†
Aug 30, 2021
Indiana, USA
Parrots
Ziggy, Kai, and Seiji (blue, yellowface, and dilute budgies)
Jasper (yellow-naped amazon)
Lilla (senegal parrot)
Snowberry (yellow-crowned amazon)
Cricket (pacific parrotlet)
Iā€™m so sorry about your baby boy. We all know how much it hurts to lose a friend. Take some time to grieve, weā€™re here for you.
To tame the new bird, be patient, respectful, try target training and TREATS.
Good luck and I hope you will recover from losing Orville soon ā¤ļø

vljenewein

Dec 1, 2021
Fennville, MI
Parrots
Rocky & Adrian - Budgerigars
Welcome to the forum ! I am very sorry for your loss. We have pets and they become so much a part of our lives they are family, and in some regards, closer than some "people" family members, especially when they pass on. It is because they are here 24/7 a part of our lives, and we are a part of theirs. To your new bird, he will look at you all as "His Everything" and will cherish each moment you all spend with him.

We have 4 senior Toy Fox Terrier dogs that sleep with us. 1 is 15 and 3 are 14. I dread the day that there is only 3 sleeping with us.... then 2... then one....
Don't let your heart be troubled, they believe in your and you are their everything to them. The new one will not replace the loss,but will be a new love or your life and they will come around to be just as tame, probalby more so... you've done it once and you KNOW it can be done again.

I'm new to fiddling with Parrots (parakeets) our new Rocky and Adrian. We also have 2 new Zebra Finches Holly Leaves and Fallen Leaves, and the cat Jinx, who I swear needs let out and back in at LEAST 6 times between bedtime at 10 and somewhere around 6 in the morning. Has funny way to telling us... he meows next to my wife at night and if that doesn't get a response, then Echo, our tiny girl TFT starts barking at him and then it's time to get up and let him our.... only to let him in again in about 40 minutes... or less. At least in the summer he stays out and about (we live in the country) pretty much the whole night, but winter, he's bored and like to explore and see things.

You will do great with the new wee one. Mindy is a nice name, but so is Olive, which is close to Orville. I bet she has some Olive colored feathers too. :)

Scott

Supporting Member
Aug 21, 2010
San Diego, California USA, Earth, Milky Way Galaxy
Parrots
Goffins: Gabby, Abby, Squeaky, Peanut, Popcorn / Citron: Alice / Eclectus: Angel /Timneh Grey: ET / Blue Fronted Amazon: Gonzo /

RIP Gandalf and Big Bird, you are missed.
Welcome to the forums under bittersweet circumstances. My deepest condolences for the loss of Orville. May his bright memories guide your socialization and bonding with new pineapple GCC.

We never forget our fids, rather hold them in our hearts and celebrate new companion parrots. Please be kind to yourself, grieve fully and emotionally, no shame letting tears flow.

LaManuka

Staff member
Super Moderator
Aug 29, 2018
Media
Albums
Queensland, Australia
Parrots
Fang ({ab}normal grey cockatiel), Valentino (budgie), Jem (cinnamon cockatiel), Lovejoy(varied lorikeet), Peach (princess parrot)
Hi everyone,

Iā€™m new to joining the forum but have been reading posts for quite some time. I recently lost my gorgeous green cheeked conure in a tragic accident, his name was Orville and he was my best friend šŸ˜ž. He was completely untamed when I got him but after a lot of patience he became so affectionate with the whole family, he had such a beautiful personality. Iā€™m obviously still grieving him but couldnā€™t be without a bird so yesterday purchased a pineapple green cheeked conure, (Iā€™ve yet to name her, Iā€™m torn between Mindy and braidy, thoughts welcome!) Again, she is completely untamed and never been held before, sheā€™s ten months old but I like a challenge and itā€™s so rewarding when they begin to trust and love you. Sorry for the long post but just looking for tips to help grieve Orville and tame the new baby at the same time.

Thanks all! ā¤ļø

PS- attached is a picture of Orville and the new bird, picture quality not great because sheā€™s very shy.
Welcome to the forums, jessybean, but Iā€™m so very sorry for the loss of your precious little Orville, and my most sincere condolences go out to you. There's really nothing I can say that will make the pain of his tragic loss any less agonizing for you, but I can tell you that there is much comfort to be had in knowing that many of us have been there and we know how much it hurts. Please keep in mind that Orville knew how much you loved him, and that he would not want you to blame yourself. He knows you never meant to hurt him and he would not want you to be in pain. Whether your precious new little one ends up being named Mindy or Braidy or something totally different, I think she is a very lucky little birdie indeed to have been found by a loving and caring parront like you ā¤ļø

Most Reactions