Grieving my 28 yr old Moluccan Cockatoo

TangotooMom

Mar 23, 2024
Parrots
Moluccan Cockatoo
We got Tango when she was a year old. On 4/14/24 she passed away after being the center of our world for 27 years. Since January, she had been having issues with a prolapsed vent. She had stiches 3 times & she kept managing to pull out. Then she had an Asymmetrical Cloacaplasty.
When her collar came off on 4/10, things were looking good. Unfortunately on 4/13, at 10:30pm she had a prolapse and rupture causing her intestines to come out.
We rushed her to NC State Vet hospital but the chance of her making it through surgery was very slim. We made the decision to let her go. When they brought her to us to say goodbye, at 1:20am she passed in my arms before the meds were even pushed.
Our house now feels so empty. Everywhere we look, we see where she was & where she should still be. Tango was our baby fluff girl. Our daughter (in college for Veterinary Medicine) does not know life without her.
We know you never get over a loss like this, you just get on with it, but man this hurts like hell. 20220318_080011.jpg20240410_144321.jpgScreenshot_20240424_113230_Facebook.jpg

wrench13

Staff member
Super Moderator
Parrot of the Month šŸ†
Nov 22, 2015
Media
Albums
Isle of Long, NY
Parrots
Yellow Shoulder Amazon, Salty
Very sorry to hear of the passing of Tango. Many of us, me included, know what its like to lose a much loved feather baby. The hurt does fade a bit, try to remember all the fun good times with her, that helps, a lot.

LaManuka

Staff member
Super Moderator
Aug 29, 2018
Media
Albums
Queensland, Australia
Parrots
Fang ({ab}normal grey cockatiel), Valentino (budgie), Jem (cinnamon cockatiel), Lovejoy(varied lorikeet), Peach (princess parrot)
We got Tango when she was a year old. On 4/14/24 she passed away after being the center of our world for 27 years. Since January, she had been having issues with a prolapsed vent. She had stiches 3 times & she kept managing to pull out. Then she had an Asymmetrical Cloacaplasty.
When her collar came off on 4/10, things were looking good. Unfortunately on 4/13, at 10:30pm she had a prolapse and rupture causing her intestines to come out.
We rushed her to NC State Vet hospital but the chance of her making it through surgery was very slim. We made the decision to let her go. When they brought her to us to say goodbye, at 1:20am she passed in my arms before the meds were even pushed.
Our house now feels so empty. Everywhere we look, we see where she was & where she should still be. Tango was our baby fluff girl. Our daughter (in college for Veterinary Medicine) does not know life without her.
We know you never get over a loss like this, you just get on with it, but man this hurts like hell.View attachment 58993View attachment 58994View attachment 58995
My deepest sympathies and condolences to you, @TangotooMom. I have lost birds who have been the centre of my world too, the last one over two years ago now, still cry over them almost every day. You're right, eventually we do find a way to live with it, but it's a long, hard and tear-filled road to get there. šŸ’” Your girl was blessed to have been loved so much by you, and as hard as it was for you I think it was better for her to pass in your loving arms - I never got that chance with mine and I wish I had. Sending hugs and strength to you, @TangotooMom, I'm so very sorry for your loss.

Urstrulyme

Mar 9, 2024
Parrots
African Grey
We know you never get over a loss like this, you just get on with it, but man this hurts like hell.View attachment 58993View attachment 58994View attachment 58995
I am so sorry for your loss šŸ’”

LoveMyFids

Aug 19, 2023
I'm so sorry. I totally understand your grief, as I lost my beloved African Grey last Aug. & she was 22 & my "soul bird". I had her since she was around 5mo. old & was like a daughter/roomate/best bud to me. We went through a lot of changes in my life-jobs, houses, etc. & she even went w/me to work for quite awhile when she was young because I didn't want to leave her at home alone. Luckily, I had a boss who was totally fine w/it! Haha. She was a bird person & owned 3 herself-go figure! It's such a difficult loss, esp. when your entire days & life revolves around your fid's schedule. There's no replacing them. It just hurts really bad. I'll never be over my loss. It's a little easier for me after a few months, but I miss her terribly every day, even though I have 4 other birds. All you can do is cherish the relationship you had & know that unconditional love will never cease to exist. How lucky are we to have the opportunity to have such a wonderful little being touch our lives & hearts for so many years. It's a gift & it's also a gift when we love them for the duration of their lives so deeply. If only all birds could be so lucky out there! I send you my sincere condolences. The pain will get better, but it will take some time. Sending good thoughts your way.

Chrissiejingles

Nov 21, 2019
ENGLAND
Parrots
Mr Jingles OWA.....RIP
I'm so sorry for your loss xx
I know that heartbreak x My beautiful Amazon, Mr Jingles passed at age 18. I'd had him since he was 4 months old. He was with me through thick and thin. I miss him so very much to this day x
The silence is deafening.
However, I will hold him in my heart for the rest of my days. Happy memories of him come to my mind everyday. I still have the immense sadness and it is still bery hard at times, but I still feel him here with me.
I wish I could have been with my Mr Jingles when he died. I am glad that Tango was where he wanted to be...with you.
I agree with LoveMyFids...he was a very lucky bird to have had you for his friend/flock. He will be looking down on you with love.

GaleriaGila

Parrot of the Month šŸ†
May 14, 2016
Cleveland area
Parrots
The Rickeybird, 40-year-old Patagonian Conure
Thank you for sharing.
What a beautiful love. May I offer a couple of little thoughts that always comfort me? I believe that love, once it exists, retains itself somehow in Eternity. The essence of love lingers magically. That's wat I just know somehow.
I wish you peace.
Thanks again.

GillE

Apr 23, 2024
Parrots
Charlie
My deepest sympathies and condolences to you, @TangotooMom. I have lost birds who have been the centre of my world too, the last one over two years ago now, still cry over them almost every day. You're right, eventually we do find a way to live with it, but it's a long, hard and tear-filled road to get there. šŸ’” Your girl was blessed to have been loved so much by you, and as hard as it was for you I think it was better for her to pass in your loving arms - I never got that chance with mine and I wish I had. Sending hugs and strength to you, @TangotooMom, I'm so very sorry for your loss.
I am so sorry. I just lost a rescue african grey he was neglected until I rescued him. I am also heart broken as he had a lovely time with me. Sat watching the TV with me. He had the best of everything but overnight he became so ill. Straight to vet who said the years of neglect had finally caught up with him. I had to let him go. Like you I am distraught, can't understand what happened. House is so quiet. Let's hope our birds are flying free together. I am sending you lots of hugs and a great understanding of how you are feeling. Just try and remember what a lovely life you gave him.
Take care, I'm thinking of you. Xx

dcfla

Apr 25, 2024
Parrots
We Have 3 Now Senior Pooches & One Paco. An Orange Winged Amazon.
So So Sorry. They Really Are Our Family & When We lose Family It Does, It Does Hurt Like "Hell", Because Like You said, You See them Everywhere, You May Still Hear them too. You Can Feel them without a Doubt. We lost one of Our Pooches back in 2012, another in 2005, another in 2017, another in 2022, Now We have 3 left, Plus Our Paco, the Orange Winged Amazon Who's been with Us the Longest, 29 years, So I Know How You Feel because Paco We know won't be around much longer because of an issue she's had for a while now & no vets really here I trust to Stress her out like they do. We're Still Taking Our time taking her in & here what ever they'll tell us. You Did the best by Tango, You Know that & So Does Tango. So Sorry, Again, It Does Hurt. Tango was Actually Fortunate, Tango has a Family who Loved Her. She Felt that, Take Comfort in knowing that She Felt that Love.

JanetF300

Apr 27, 2024
Parrots
Quaker Parrot
So sorry. šŸ˜”Sending hugs.

Birdlover#1981

Apr 25, 2024
So sorry for your great loss she is Beautiful!!! I can only imagine your heartache having a bird for so many years. Take comfort that you did the best for Tango and she felt that. When birds feel that we have done our job. My thoughts and prayers go out to you and your family.
Blessings,
Jan

Kat57

Jan 17, 2024
Parrots
African Grey ~ 33 years old
Iā€™m so very sorry. I lost my 34 year old yellow headed Amazon, Kellygirl, in January. My heart is broken and I miss her so, but immediately after for at least a couple months, it was unbearable. 34 years of daily interaction, care, conversations and joy ~ and then silence, is difficult to bear. Unless youā€™re a parrot parent, you donā€™t know the heartbreak. I will say, Iā€™m finally able to accept her death now, and I focus on all the joy for those many many years. Yes, I still cry intermittently, but itā€™s because I loved her so and miss her. Iā€™m blessed to have my 33 year old Congo African Grey to dote on too. My sincere condolences to you. You will find so much kindness on this forum. Members compassion helped me through my grieving. Again, Iā€™m so very sorry. Your baby
iā€™m so very sorry for your loss. I lost my yellow head, Amazon in January, my Kellygirl. I was so blessed to mamaā€™d her for 34 years, and the first two months following her death was unbearable. Now I focus on how blessed I was to have had her in our lives for all those years. Our daily interaction, care, conversations and joy is greatly missed, but I will say now that itā€™s been a few months, Iā€™m deliberately focusing on how blessed I was to have had her for our many years, but yes, I still cry and my heart hurts ~ thatā€™s because I loved her and I miss her so. She was such a joyful character and the silence is startling still. Iā€™m very blessed to have my 33 year-old Congo African Gray to dote on and love on, and heā€™s become center of attention in our home. I was so worried about him losing his lifelong mate, but heā€™s doing very well. You will find so much support through this forum, and the sincere kindness of the members got me through Kellyā€™s death. No one knows what it is like to lose our beloved parrots, unless youā€™re a parrot parent, imo. Your Tango was such a stunning beauty, and again I am so very sorry for your loss. šŸ’” Sending a hug.

Most Reactions