Gus the Conure

bkbirdlady

May 16, 2023
Brooklyn
This is Augustus McCrae (Gus), my new baby who will be coming home to me at the end of the month. I found a breeder who is around three hours from me, and she has been doing this for quite a few years. He's four months old and when I saw his picture I fell in love! I originally wanted a Turquoise, but Gus stole my heart. I think he is a Black-Capped Conure. For the next few weeks I'll be getting my apartment bird ready, getting rid of all my harmful products (mostly cleaning supplies) and basic tidying so that he has (mostly) unobstructed places to fly once he is trained. He is currently eating a Kaytee birdseed mix so my first order of business is moving him to pellets. Any other suggestions? I'm glad I have a few weeks prep time!! I'm definitely nervous.
conure 92450.JPG
Conure 192458.JPG

zERo

Staff member
Super Moderator
Dec 9, 2021
Media
Texas
Parrots
Tony-Green QP(M)
Tom-Pineapple GCC(M)
Milly- Sparrow (F)
Welcome to the Forums!

Your baby is a cutie! Iā€™m confident he is a green cheek conure, however. At four months, if he were a black cap, he would be sporting the wonderful seashell necklace!

He appears to be a wild type green cheek IMO.

All I can say, is go at his pace. Talk quietly and place him in his new cage so he can get used to everything, if heā€™s okay with being picked up, of course, otherwise you could put his travel carrier into the main cage.

Youā€™ve made a wonderful decision, let a green cheek into your life!

OP
B

bkbirdlady

May 16, 2023
Brooklyn
Welcome to the Forums!

Your baby is a cutie! Iā€™m confident he is a green cheek conure, however. At four months, if he were a black cap, he would be sporting the wonderful seashell necklace!

He appears to be a wild type green cheek IMO.
Got it!!

onamom

Staff member
Super Moderator
Parrot of the Month šŸ†
May 9, 2022
Indiana, USA
Parrots
Ona: Dilute Green Cheek Conure
Congrats! Bringing home your first bird is such a new and exciting experience. I would suggest doing all the research you can before baby comes home. Check out Elle and the Birds on YouTube. She has some great videos for new bird owners and some wonderful bonding tips for bonding with a new bird. The channel Flying Fids is also very good. Stock up on treats and toys as well.

I wrote a lot about brining home my first bird in my thread for Ona if you're interested in hearing more about my experience. I did already have a bond with my bird before she came home because I visited her at the breeder as she grew up and was weaned.

OP
B

bkbirdlady

May 16, 2023
Brooklyn
Congrats! Bringing home your first bird is such a new and exciting experience. I would suggest doing all the research you can before baby comes home. Check out Elle and the Birds on YouTube. She has some great videos for new bird owners and some wonderful bonding tips for bonding with a new bird. The channel Flying Fids is also very good. Stock up on treats and toys as well.

I wrote a lot about brining home my first bird in my thread for Ona if you're interested in hearing more about my experience. I did already have a bond with my bird before she came home because I visited her at the breeder as she grew up and was weaned.

Iā€™m feeling a little starstruckā€¦.. I read all about you and Ona. Iā€™ve also been addicted to watching Elle. She is one of the very few YouTubers Iā€™ve been taking notes from.

maddox

Supporting Member
Parrot of the Month šŸ†
2022 Parrot of the Year šŸ†
Mar 15, 2022
Media
Fairfield Connecticut, USA
Parrots
Maddox is a green cheek conure
Welcome to the flock! Your little guy sure is a cutie! I agree with @zERo that he looks to be more like a wild type green cheeked. Conures are fantastic birds and I can promise you there will never be a dull moment once you two are acquainted. My advice is to take it slow and work at the birds pace. GCC are known to be pretty nippy so if that happens to become an issue do not be discouraged, it is a behavior that can be trained out. I would watch videos on target training which can help with learning to step up and other tricks. There are threads on this forum concerning safety and good husbandry so defiantly check those out too. I cant wait for you two to meet!

clark_conure

Jul 14, 2017
Media
Minnesota
Parrots
A crossover Quaker Scuti (F), A Sun conure named AC, A Cinnamon Green Cheek conure Kent, and 6 budgies, Scuti Jr. (f), yellow (m), clark Jr. (m), Dot (f), Zebra(f), Machine (m).
IDK looks more like an an Agustus Caesar... the roman emperor. But you can name your bird what you want.....

Just saying looks that epic a bird....

Tanglwood02

Mar 27, 2023
Media
Albums
Knoxville, TN
Parrots
One Goffins cockatoo. I would love more but she hates other birds!
Heā€™s a cutie! Besides pellets fresh veges and fruits? Research everythingā€¦even what is safe for them to eat. When I got Sugar (Goffins cockatoo) I researched EVERYTHING. Better safe than sorry!

Most Reactions

Latest posts