Half Moon Conure Crying?

Onatop

Oct 29, 2019
Hi everyone. New member here. My mother in law’s half moon conure is 20+ years ago and in the past year she has started to make a sort of crying sound. She is doing it more and more often, and now it’s to the point where it is pretty much all the time.

Like I said she is 20+ years old. She isn’t really a happy go lucky bird, so I don’t think it’s a sound of content. She does have nearly all of her feathers missing on her under belly (don’t know the correct term) (don’t know the medical condition name or if it’s relevant).

I uploaded a short clip of the sound she makes: https://vocaroo.com/i/s0vEwOcfEBuy

We aren’t sure if she’s in pain or if there’s anything we should do.

We really appreciate any help. :green1:

itzjbean

Jan 27, 2017
Media
Iowa, USA
Parrots
2 cockatiels
I highly recommend a visit to an avian vet, especially if she hasn't gone for a while.

If she's 20+, I wonder if its some type of arthritis giving her pain? Is she out and about with your family or is she in a cage sitting on a perch most the time? The vet will be able to determine exactly what's making her do this an can if she is in pain from something like arthritis she could eb given meds to help ease the pain. Don't wait on this, if she is suffering it would be nice to ease that pain for her with the help of a professional.

Jen5200

Mar 27, 2017
Media
Albums
Washington State
Parrots
Baby - Sun Conure;
Tango - GCC;
Bindi - Sun Conure;
Stanley - Pineapple GCC;
Screamer “Scree� - Cockatiel;
Tee - Pineapple GCC; Jimmy - Cockatiel
It doesn’t sound like a content noise to me either. Has she been to an avian vet? Plucking can be an indicator of something else going on with her health, so personally I would probably start by ruling that out. Where are you located, is an avian vet accessible?

OP
O

Onatop

Oct 29, 2019
I highly recommend a visit to an avian vet, especially if she hasn't gone for a while.

If she's 20+, I wonder if its some type of arthritis giving her pain? Is she out and about with your family or is she in a cage sitting on a perch most the time? The vet will be able to determine exactly what's making her do this an can if she is in pain from something like arthritis she could eb given meds to help ease the pain. Don't wait on this, if she is suffering it would be nice to ease that pain for her with the help of a professional.

She is in her cage most of the time. The only person that let’s hold her and take her out of her cage is my mother in law. Even other family member who have been with her for the 20 years can’t take her out of the cage.

It doesn’t sound like a content noise to me either. Has she been to an avian vet? Plucking can be an indicator of something else going on with her health, so personally I would probably start by ruling that out. Where are you located, is an avian vet accessible?

We are in Arizona and I’m sure there is a good vet nearby. We regularly take her to our bird lady, but she’s not a vet. We will look for an avian vet!

Most Reactions

Latest posts