Hamlet just scared the **** outta me ...

TexDot33

Bird poop and baby poop
Dec 26, 2006
Media
New Hampshire USA
Parrots
15 year-old Sun Conure: Hamlet &
14 year-old Green-Cheeked Conure: Mac
So, Hamlet's primaries are finally growing back in, and there are 6 on each side (you all know my motto ... 4 on each side, no more) and we just haven't had a chance to get them clipped ... welp, we are going tomorrow as soon as Parrot Safari is opened ... infact, I might call Concetta at home tonight ...

We are sitting on the sofa, I am processing wedding images from a wedding two weeks ago, and the dryer buzzer goes off ... birds jump and fly away ... Mac is so good, he went into his cage (he feels really safe there) ... Hamlet, however, isn't as good at flying as mac is ... and he heads straight into a window :eek::(:eek: - and I mean hard ... the impact dislodged two or three feathers on his head, over his eye ... it even looked like it might have been bleeding ... but it wasn't ... now he is in his cage eating, drinking, squawking and imitating the microwave, and playing with toys ... I believe that he is going to be OK.

Needless to say, my adrenaline is still flowing, and I am shaking ... AHHHHHHH!!!!! :18_crazy:

Please, please please, keep your birds wings clipped to a reasonable length - enough to give them flight, but they have to work really hard for it and can't fly too hard or fast!

Tracy842

Super Moderator
Jan 12, 2007
Media
Alberta, Canada
Parrots
Popsicle the Senegal Parrot &
Pepsi the Mealy Amazon
Sounds like he is doing better which is a relief. Popsicle will get spooked very easily and fly straight into walls and windows. I find when something spooks them she completly forgets how to fly and just goes straight until she hits something. Luckily she hasn't hurt her self yet. Hopefully Mac will give Hamlet some flying lessons.
Thanks for the advice about the wing clip.

ashley

Aug 30, 2007
Ontario
Parrots
a Brown-headed poicephalus parrot named Tucker!
Tucker has done this to me a couple of times!! He scares me so much! I have learned that if he is on my shoulder (I only let him on there sometimes, and always on *my* terms haha) if I bend down or go up or down staircases there's almost too much wind resistance for him and he starts flapping. One time he got off balance and fell and flew right into a wall. I was SO scared - almost in tears! Luckily he was okay, but I will always be extra vigilant in the future to make sure that he is secure.

Phew! Sooo glad that your little Hamlet was okay!!

OP
TexDot33

TexDot33

Bird poop and baby poop
Dec 26, 2006
Media
New Hampshire USA
Parrots
I was SO scared - almost in tears!!!

Ok, I'm man enough to admit it ... I was there ... scared to tears I was ... :17:

Upon further review Hamlet did not escape without an injury ... there is a scrape above his eye, looks like it bled a little, but has since scabbed over and does not look to be bleeding any longer ...

I feel like such a bad person, I knew it was time to clip his wings and I have just been too lazy to get it done ... this could have been prevented ... :mad::mad: ... sometimes I can be so dumb!

Keupi

Aug 16, 2007
Connecticut
Parrots
Keupi - a Senegal.
So, Hamlet's primaries are finally growing back in, and there are 6 on each side (you all know my motto ... 4 on each side, no more) and we just haven't had a chance to get them clipped ... welp, we are going tomorrow as soon as Parrot Safari is opened ... infact, I might call Concetta at home tonight ...

We are sitting on the sofa, I am processing wedding images from a wedding two weeks ago, and the dryer buzzer goes off ... birds jump and fly away ... Mac is so good, he went into his cage (he feels really safe there) ... Hamlet, however, isn't as good at flying as mac is ... and he heads straight into a window :eek::(:eek: - and I mean hard ... the impact dislodged two or three feathers on his head, over his eye ... it even looked like it might have been bleeding ... but it wasn't ... now he is in his cage eating, drinking, squawking and imitating the microwave, and playing with toys ... I believe that he is going to be OK.

Needless to say, my adrenaline is still flowing, and I am shaking ... AHHHHHHH!!!!! :18_crazy:

Please, please please, keep your birds wings clipped to a reasonable length - enough to give them flight, but they have to work really hard for it and can't fly too hard or fast!

That must have been so scary. You and Christy must have been shaking...probably still are.

Keep an eye on him though (as I know you two are - probably won't take one off him, or the rest of your flock). If he starts being clumsy or floppy (eg, disoriented)... you (both) know what to do.

Gosh guys, well wishes to you both.

Astro

Sep 3, 2007
Phoenix
Parrots
1-Calico Macaw- Cosmo
That would have freaked me out too. Speaking of which, I have never had my macaws wings clipped. I used to even have him outside. Now I'm wondering if it should be done.:confused: He used to never fly- he would only walk around, but since he wasn't handled for such a long time...Hmmmm. I hope he doesn't fly away :eek:

OP
TexDot33

TexDot33

Bird poop and baby poop
Dec 26, 2006
Media
New Hampshire USA
Parrots
Astro, have you ever heard of a "long-clip" a long clip is when you clip enough so that a bird can't fly too high or too fast without a lot of effort ... for the little guys (conures, 'zons, greys etc ... ) the outer four primaries should be left and the others clipped away ... with the bigger guys ... maybe the outer 5 or 6 ... check into it because this style still allows for a little flight, but not enough where they would get hurt if they did something dumb (like Hamlet did) ...

Most Reactions

Latest posts