Hand Feeding and Bonding

Thank you Brooke for clarifying the "grey areas" we were lacking, and even a bigger thank you for coming back to inform us after the thread went off-track. I believe you are doing an excellent job of researching and learning before making such a big decision, I applaud you! :)

Thanks everyone for the advice. I definitely am not going to run out and buy a baby and try and feed it myself. At this point I am simply doing my research and asking as many questions as possible so I can make an informed decision. Per my last post, I was just throwing out a scenario because I was curious if the baby would view everyone in the household as "parents." Or, if the baby only views the parent feeding it as the "the parent." If I were to decide on hand feeding myself, I would only do it if I could train under a breeder for a time (until the breeder feels that I am ready for the task). And each feeding would be done at the breeders facility (if possible) and under his/her observation until the baby is fully weaned and ready to go home. But it kind of sounds like there might not be enough reason to go to this extent-in other words, it may not be necessary for me to hand feed the baby at all if it does not increase the chances of the baby bonding to me as an adult. I will continue my research until I am comfortable and knowledgeable enough to make the decision. Thanks again everyone!

Thingamagigs, I think a retraction/apology is in order now.

I thought his post was very informative (even if it was a bit harsh) lol.

Anyways, I am not a breeder so this may sound like a stupid question, but here goes...

Does this mean that I should not feed my parrot directly with my hands or he might start to think I am his parent and bond with someone else? Or does it only apply to baby birds?

Mine is almost 3yo and he was "reared" by a professional breeder.

Also, I'm not sure of the technical connotations of the term "bond", but I think he is bonded to me... in that he only likes me and no one else.

No, you can feed your pretty Cape from your hand. :) I feed ALL of mine treats and tidbits of food by hand quite often. They thoroughy enjoy it.

Does this mean that I should not feed my parrot directly with my hands or he might start to think I am his parent and bond with someone else? Or does it only apply to baby birds?
Again, the concept of baby parrots developing a permanent view that their hand rearing caregivers are their avian parents is purely theoretical. There are countless cases of parrots who were hand-fed by their owners that have developed permanent healthy, adoring relationships with those owners. A 'one size fits all' claim like the permanent parents one really needs to be supported by plenty of study data before it should be accepted as factually correct. It's probably more likely that the individuals who believe they have noticed this particular result are missing other factors that may account for their young birds failing to bond with them after the weaning process.

(The above is my personal opinion. Take it for what it's worth.)

Most Reactions

Latest posts

Back