Hand shy or just shy in general??

Nov 2, 2022
Media
Washington, DC, USA
Parrots
Astro (budgie) 1/20/23--3/31/23
Poppy (cinnamon cockatiel)
Poppy is doing good in her new home so far, and although I've been unexpectedly busy, I'll be back to normal soon. She eats a little chop and enjoys playing with her toys. However, Poppy is still not liking anything akin to being picked up/held. Her breeder was able to hold her, and when I tried covering my hand with my sleeve, it honestly seemed to freak her out more. She is okay with me being near her and cleaning her cage, and will eat millet spray from my hand. I'm just not sure what the issue is because she's such a sweet bird and doesn't seem like the type to be hand shy. Could it just be that she isn't used to me yet? The only thing I can think of is that she's flown out of the cage a few times and I've had to make her step up before she realized what she was doing. I don't think it really scared her anytime I did, but I could be wrong because she doesn't want to be picked up. A few times my hand has bee close enough to touch her and she doesn't care, so I'm not really sure she's hand shy--I genuinely have no idea lol. Will it always be like this?

Jcas

Supporting Member
Parrot of the Month 🏆
Jan 9, 2023
Parrots
Quaker, 2 budgies
Patience is key when working with birds 🙂. Continue feeding her from your hand and putting your hand as close to her as she is comfortable with. If you really need her to step up, you can start by teaching her to step onto a perch that you’re holding. Don’t worry, she’ll come to trust you; especially when she finds out that hands give head scratches!

Most Reactions

Latest posts