Hanging tent

Phoenix56

Oct 30, 2021
Parrots
pookieStiker84!
I am devastated… we just found our 3 year old sun conure had hung himself by making a hole in a hanging tent.

I have no words. My husband just got rid of all hanging materials in the cage.

Our poor Blue conure is obviously very depressed, they were so close and cuddled every day.

We are getting a new conure tomorrow. What is the best thing for conures to cuddle in? We live in NY and it can get chilly.

foxgloveparrot

Parrot of the Month 🏆
Aug 30, 2021
Indiana, USA
Parrots
Ziggy, Kai, and Seiji (blue, yellowface, and dilute budgies)
Jasper (yellow-naped amazon)
Lilla (senegal parrot)
Snowberry (yellow-crowned amazon)
Cricket (pacific parrotlet)
Very sorry you lost your beautiful conure. Fly high, over the Rainbow Bridge ❤️
What is the best thing for conures to cuddle in? Well, you have learned that Happy Huts are not a good choice (which is okay-you made a mistake, and learned from it). There are seagrass alternatives, but any kind of hut is not very good for birds because they make them very hormonal, since birds view the hut as a tent. If it gets very cold, I advise you get a small heater for next to the cage and/or play stand, but make sure to tuck away electrical cords and supervise your birds when allowed near the heaters.
Good luck, and again, I'm so sorry for your loss. Sending hugs of comfort your way.

LaManuka

Staff member
Super Moderator
Aug 29, 2018
Media
Albums
Queensland, Australia
Parrots
Fang ({ab}normal grey cockatiel), Valentino (budgie), Jem (cinnamon cockatiel), Lovejoy(varied lorikeet), Peach (princess parrot)
Welcome to the Forums, Phoenix56, but I am so very sorry for your loss of your Sun. Losing a beloved bird is always devastating and all the more so as a result of an accident like this, and you have my every sympathy 🙏

I must however disagree with my colleague foxglove on the point of seagrass huts. My lorikeet is THE most hormonally charged, chronic egg laying little minx on the face of the planet but she has one just like the one pictured below and has shown absolutely zero nesty-type response to it since I got it for her about 6 months ago. She rarely even looks at it during the day and only ever uses it for sleeping in at night....

green-parrot-bird-toy-hanging-hideout.jpg

Of course her attitude towards it may change in the future, and I would have to remove it should that happen. Individual birds will respond differently to them, but this alternative has worked very well so far for my little purple crowned Princess.

It may not work so well for you however, Phoenix56, as the style may be too open to provide much warmth in your climate, as opposed to my town where it really never gets that cold. In your case you may find a heating panel more effective, such as the one pictured below, the K&H Snuggle Up bird warmer...

cIbPTMl.jpg

Several of our members use it and swear by it, although you would need to be mindful of the electric cable that a bird may chew if/when climbing around the outside of the cage. I hope this helps you.

Again, my most sincere condolences on the loss of your beautiful Sun. 💔

Last edited:
OP
P

Phoenix56

Oct 30, 2021
Parrots
pookieStiker84!
Welcome to the Forums, Phoenix56, but I am so very sorry for your loss of your Sun. Losing a beloved bird is always devastating and all the more so as a result of an accident like this, and you have my every sympathy 🙏

I must however disagree with my colleague foxglove on the point of seagrass huts. My lorikeet is THE most hormonally charged, chronic egg laying little minx on the face of the planet but she has one just like the one pictured below and has shown absolutely zero nesty-type response to it since I got it for her about 6 months ago. She rarely even looks at it during the day and only ever uses it for sleeping in at night....

green-parrot-bird-toy-hanging-hideout.jpg

Of course her attitude towards it may change towards it in future, and I would have to remove it should that happen. Individual birds will respond differently to them, but this alternative has worked very well so far for my little purple crowned Princess.

It may not work so well for you however, Phoenix56, as the style may be too open to provide much warmth in your climate, as opposed to my town where it really never gets that cold. In your case you may find a heating panel more effective, such as the one pictured below, the K&H Snuggle Up bird warmer...

cIbPTMl.jpg

Several of our members use it and swear by it, although you would need to be mindful of the electric cable that a bird may chew if/when climbing around the outside of the cage. I hope this helps you.

Again, my most sincere condolences on the loss of your beautiful Sun. 💔
I will definately look into those

OP
P

Phoenix56

Oct 30, 2021
Parrots
pookieStiker84!
We adopted another conure last night. He is arriving today. We had to do something because our “blue” is obviously affected. What is the best way to introduce them?

foxgloveparrot

Parrot of the Month 🏆
Aug 30, 2021
Indiana, USA
Parrots
Ziggy, Kai, and Seiji (blue, yellowface, and dilute budgies)
Jasper (yellow-naped amazon)
Lilla (senegal parrot)
Snowberry (yellow-crowned amazon)
Cricket (pacific parrotlet)
We adopted another conure last night. He is arriving today. We had to do something because our “blue” is obviously affected. What is the best way to introduce them?
First, when the new conure arrives, keep him away from Blue for 30-40 days, as his "quarantine" period. Then, introduce them slowly, in a neutral environment (a place none of the birds are familiar with). Offer them treats and toys at the same time.
Some birds will just never get along, and when this happens, you need to keep them in separate rooms. I would put them in different cages anyway, unless they show signs of wanting to live together. Blue might think there is no bird that can replace his friend, and that's okay. Just don't house birds together if they are not bonded.

OP
P

Phoenix56

Oct 30, 2021
Parrots
pookieStiker84!
First, when the new conure arrives, keep him away from Blue for 30-40 days, as his "quarantine" period. Then, introduce them slowly, in a neutral environment (a place none of the birds are familiar with). Offer them treats and toys at the same time.
Some birds will just never get along, and when this happens, you need to keep them in separate rooms. I would put them in different cages anyway, unless they show signs of wanting to live together. Blue might think there is no bird that can replace his friend, and that's okay. Just don't house birds together if they are not bonded.
Thank you so much

Most Reactions