Happy 26th Hatch Summer to Mango

jaws

Jun 21, 2022
Parrots
Mango (Gold Capped Conure)
I want to wish my gold capped conure, Mango, a very happy 26th hatch summer. I'm not entirely sure when he was born, other than I believe summer of 1996, so he gets the entire summer to celebrate. He's an extremely old, but otherwise healthy and happy bird. He's slowed down a lot, doesn't play as much as he used to, gets frightened easier, and gets tired and sleepy quickly, but he's still very lovable. He's been with me for 26 years, and I know every single day with him is extremely precious.

IMG_3308.JPG
IMG_3296.JPG
IMG_3259.JPG
IMG_E3465.jpg
IMG_E6508.jpg

LaManuka

Staff member
Super Moderator
Aug 29, 2018
Media
Albums
Queensland, Australia
Parrots
Fang ({ab}normal grey cockatiel), Valentino (budgie), Jem (cinnamon cockatiel), Lovejoy(varied lorikeet), Peach (princess parrot)
Happy Hatch Summer, Mango!

maxresdefault.jpg

Welcome To The Forums!
We're So Glad You Joined
On This Very Special Day!
May You Have Many More
Happy Hatch Summers To Come!!

animated-bird-image-0072.gif

HeatherG

Apr 25, 2020
I would love to hear about your senior parrot. And I made many cage adaptations and accommodations for my late senior Quaker, Lucy, so if you ever need to discuss cage disability accommodations, let me know!

Happy hatchday, Mango!!

OP
J

jaws

Jun 21, 2022
Parrots
Mango (Gold Capped Conure)
I would love to hear about your senior parrot. And I made many cage adaptations and accommodations for my late senior Quaker, Lucy, so if you ever need to discuss cage disability accommodations, let me know!

Happy hatchday, Mango!!
Thanks! I haven't really made any cage accommodations yet, with the big exception of Mango choosing himself to spend most of his cage time and sleep in a smaller cage. I kept his original (too small) cage because it fit in a car if needed, and he's always had a sentimental attachment to it. He's had a large cage for a long time now and seemed to like it when he was younger and middle aged, but as he got older, he doesn't climb around the cage or play with toys as much as he used to. A few years ago he started wanting to go into the smaller cage, and started spending more and more time in it while seeming stressed and agitated in the larger cage. He will still climb into the larger cage and explore if he is feeling particularly curious or playful, or if I change something in it he wants to check out. He can go back to it whenever he wants, but he seems very happy and content in the smaller cage now. At first I thought it would be bad for him to be back in the smaller cage, but now I think it might actually be for the best as there are fewer oppurtunities to hurt himself, he's closer to his food and water, and he seems happy and content. It's a smaller, safer space for him. It also doesn't encourage him to flap his wings quite as much, which has noticeably taken a lot out of him for many years now. He hasn't really been able to fly for about ten years, and I don't want him to try. Usually he doesn't, but he sometimes gets playful. He seems to have no problem perching, so I haven't added a shelf yet, but I might. He will get bursts of energy like his younger self, play for a bit, eat, drink, and then he becomes tired and sleepy. Repeat. He's always been very timid, but he seems to frighten easier now. He really just seems happy to be with or near me. One accommodation I did make to the smaller cage was to cover the metal grate on the bottom with cardboard and paper I change every day or two, so he doesn't hurt himself on the grate and it provides a sturdier/flat surface for him to walk/stand on. It also gives him paper to play with and rip up, which he loves! Paper has always been his favorite toy. I knew I had to have him when I first saw him as a baby bird playing underneath newspaper on the bottom of the cage he was in at the store. He's never been sick or injured in the 26 years I've had him, and he doesn't have any health problems now that I'm aware of except for old age. He's also always been extremely fickle with fresh food. I've given him every fresh fruit/vegetable/nut over the years, and he's never really liked them. He's never liked fresh berries or banana, but he loves banana chips. He also likes dried mango, papaya, and pineapple (but not fresh), which he dips into his water. And he loves cooked (plain) pasta. But that's about it, in addition to his bird food and bird treats. I've tried to think of a celebration treat for him, but I can't think of anything, so I'm thinking of making him a hatchday 'cake' of dried fruit and pasta.

Last edited:

HeatherG

Apr 25, 2020
It sounds like he’s had a happy and good life, and that is thanks to you.

I enjoy hearing about your little old man and miss my “ancient” grandma bird.

I wrapped Lucy’s cage grate in chuck pads after trying towels (too messy to wash) and a thin pillow in pillowcase (usually not needed and too poofy).

Mostly I left the top of the cage empty to discourage bigger falls.

Mango is a perfect mango bird. Looks like he’s had a long and fun life. If only we could always have our birds so long!

Most Reactions

Latest posts