HeatherG

Apr 25, 2020
I do think you should keep your birds off the aquarium. If they have gotten a respiratory infection from somewhere, the aquarium lid and pump and filter is damp and dirty. There’s a lot of fungus and mold associated with wet aquarium areas. I’m sure you wash your hands after touching or cleaning it. So why would it be ok to let your fragile birdies walk all over it? They breathe the mist off the aquarium, groom their feathers and feet…

I don’t want to be mean but fish and herps have germs that your bird should not be around, just like cats have dangerous bacteria in their saliva. If you don’t know where your sweet birds’ infection came from, the aquarium is one possibility. Contact with birds or wild animals outside is another possibility (like if someone filled a bird feeder outside and brought germs in on hands or shoes).

We get colds and flu because we encounter other humans who carry germs. The germs must come from somewhere. They don’t just magically appear.

OP
π•Ύπ–™π–”π–—π–’π–žπ•»π–Žπ–ˆπ–†
May 2, 2021
Media
Albums
Vermont, USA
Parrots
Stormy(M): blue Australian budgie
Picasso(F): green Australian budgie
Apollo(F): sky blue dominant pied Australian budgie
I do think you should keep your birds off the aquarium. If they have gotten a respiratory infection from somewhere, the aquarium lid and pump and filter is damp and dirty. There’s a lot of fungus and mold associated with wet aquarium areas. I’m sure you wash your hands after touching or cleaning it. So why would it be ok to let your fragile birdies walk all over it? They breathe the mist off the aquarium, groom their feathers and feet…

I don’t want to be mean but fish and herps have germs that your bird should not be around, just like cats have dangerous bacteria in their saliva. If you don’t know where your sweet birds’ infection came from, the aquarium is one possibility. Contact with birds or wild animals outside is another possibility (like if someone filled a bird feeder outside and brought germs in on hands or shoes).

We get colds and flu because we encounter other humans who carry germs. The germs must come from somewhere. They don’t just magically appear.
There is a full glass lid on the aquarium, covering both the filter and the entire thing. It’s not like I could keep them off anyhow, and they’ve been on there for almost 2 years, no issue.

Most Reactions

Latest posts