Hardiness of the Parrot species?

vljenewein

Dec 1, 2021
Fennville, MI
Parrots
Rocky & Adrian - Budgerigars
I know that the Quaker is a pretty hardy parrot-parakeet, as it comes from Argentina and is able to survive our cold winters in mid America. So I was curious which species of parrots are probably the most hardy for outdoor living (as in feral ) ? No I don't intend on releasing our 2 budgies into the wild, but I have seen pictures of Quaker Parrots in New York and saw that they are illegal to own in Wyoming due to ability to "live long and prosper" IE breed and create more of a flock.

texsize

Supporting Member
Parrot of the Month 🏆
Oct 23, 2015
Media
so-cal
Parrots
1 YNA (Bingo)
1 OWA (Plumas R.I.P.)
1 RLA (Pacho R.I.P.)
2 GCA(Luna,Merlin) The Twins
1 Congo AG (Bella)
5 Cockatiels
There is a website called city parrots that track feral parrots living in odd places.
there is an interesting flock of Amazons in Berlin Germany.

Rozalka

Supporting Member
Parrot of the Month 🏆
May 23, 2018
Media
Albums
Poland
Parrots
Bourke's parrots, green cheeked conure
Indian ringnecks are the most hardy - only kea is more resistant to old temp (afaik), but they aren't feral anywhre. From what I know IRN's are the post common feral parrots (I mean on the world, in US QP's seem to be more common)

OP
vljenewein

vljenewein

Dec 1, 2021
Fennville, MI
Parrots
Rocky & Adrian - Budgerigars
So, Quaker and Ringneck Parrots are tolerant of some cold temps of continental U.S. as in Midwestern, norther parts? I realize that a lot of Parrot species might survive in Florida, Southern Arkansas, Texas, New Mexico, Arizona and southern California. But for those most hardy it would take to live in western Nebraska or Eastern Wyoming.

Are there any others?

kme3388

Sep 17, 2021
Minnesota, USA
Parrots
Eclectus Parrot: Nico (male)
Jenday Conure: Kiwi (female)
I did a lot of research about conures when I first got mine. I know that the Carolina parakeet is now extinct. I remember that it looked similar to the jenday, and sun conure. It lived in very cold temps. Conures in general have hardiness. My vet describes conures to me as if the end of the world took place conures would survive, and still thrive.

Laurasea

Aug 2, 2018
USA
Parrots
Full house
Indian ring neck do have the most feral populations as I remember a lot in Britain.

Quakers are helped by living in their community nests year round.

But parrots do not do well with quick temperature drops. When temperature drop , we have a lot of parrots get sick and they are living inside with their people.
My avian veterinarian mentioned how cold snaps have her seeing more patients. And she advising her clients to move cages away from windows and watch for drafts.
So they bird mom in me wants to caution how we take this conversation. So readers don't think its ok to let their birds get chilled or that they can handle cold weather.

Most Reactions