Harness training...

AmyMyBlueFront

Apr 14, 2015
Media
Connecticut
Parrots
Amy a Blue Front 'Zon
Jonesy a Goffins 'Too who had to be rehomed :-(

And a Normal Grey Cockatiel named BB who came home with me on 5/20/2016.
....thinking of trying to get Beeb's to try one. Got a harness from a member a few years back for Jonesy,but never attempted to try to get him to wear it. I'm sure it's too small for Amy and he'd never let me close to him with it anyway and it's prolly too big for BB.
I think BB would be a good canidate. He let's me do just about anything with him. Hold and cuddle,I can outstretch his arm's with hardly any fuss from him and I can scratch/rub/tickle/kiss his head anytime so I think he wouldn't fight me much. He show's interest in adventures,always in a carrier. He chirps and twittles showing no fear of riding around in the car. Would be nice to have him on my shoulder as we cruise around. Would NEVER take him out without a harness,would loose him in a heartbeat :oops: .
Where and what size should I look for one for my little guy?

Jim

Skarila

Parrot of the Month 🏆
2021 Parrot of the Year 🏆
Apr 19, 2021
Media
Albums
Hungary
Parrots
✻Csillam the rescued budgie
✻Pascal the Emma's (Venezuelan) Conure

Previous owned:
✻Archibald the cockatiel (fostered 6 months)
✻RIP - 28 YO Zeleni the mischievous IRN
✻RIP -Sunny the budgie
aviator harnessed you would need a petite I believe but they have a sizing chart you can look at

leather4feathers also has good harnesses
Ironicaly today I checked some aviator harnesses and I clearly remember they wrote that Petite is good for cockatiels. At home we have the extra small one which is good for senegals, which I cannot use for Pascal as it'd be too big. I wonder if even Petite would be possible to use on this 56 gramm of mischief called Pascal!

OP
AmyMyBlueFront

AmyMyBlueFront

Apr 14, 2015
Media
Connecticut
Parrots
Amy a Blue Front 'Zon
Jonesy a Goffins 'Too who had to be rehomed :-(

And a Normal Grey Cockatiel named BB who came home with me on 5/20/2016.
Ironicaly today I checked some aviator harnesses and I clearly remember they wrote that Petite is good for cockatiels. At home we have the extra small one which is good for senegals, which I cannot use for Pascal as it'd be too big. I wonder if even Petite would be possible to use on this 56 gramm of mischief called Pascal!
I have the box the harness came in..Petite say's 75 to 110g's..BB is about 94 so I think petite will work...looks like it might be too big for your trouble maker :confused: Tell Pascal to gain some weight!!

Jim

Owlet

Oct 27, 2016
Colorado
Parrots
Lincoln (Eclectus), Apollo (Cockatiel), Aster (GCC)
petite is what's recommended for green cheek conures, I have it for Aster and it looks like it would fit her just fine and shes 65grams

wrench13

Staff member
Super Moderator
Parrot of the Month 🏆
Nov 22, 2015
Media
Albums
Isle of Long, NY
Parrots
Yellow Shoulder Amazon, Salty
Jim if you can manhandle BBs already, that's most of the battle. Just keep the wing loops really big until you get his wings thru them and then tighten them up. I been putting salty's harness on half way (just his head thru the loop and draping the rest of the harness over him) almost every night, because I hadn't put it on him for awhile, and he was out of practice, which meant more Hey What Is This nips, when I did it for reals. It's never going to be his favorite thing to do, but he gets well rewarded when we put it on.

Last edited:

Skarila

Parrot of the Month 🏆
2021 Parrot of the Year 🏆
Apr 19, 2021
Media
Albums
Hungary
Parrots
✻Csillam the rescued budgie
✻Pascal the Emma's (Venezuelan) Conure

Previous owned:
✻Archibald the cockatiel (fostered 6 months)
✻RIP - 28 YO Zeleni the mischievous IRN
✻RIP -Sunny the budgie
I have the box the harness came in..Petite say's 75 to 110g's..BB is about 94 so I think petite will work...looks like it might be too big for your trouble maker :confused: Tell Pascal to gain some weight!!

Jim
But Jim, If Pascal gains at least till 70g (opposed to his usual 50-55g how much his species varies) I won't even need an aviator. He'll be so fat he won't be able to fly... :D

Most Reactions

Latest posts