Harvey the Hahn's is a velcro bird already!

ChocoboFun

Mar 21, 2015
East Coast U.S.
Parrots
Perry: Standard green and yellow budgie.
Peep: Blue and white budgie.
Harvey: Hahn's Macaw
I will have to post some pictures up tomorrow, but he is already getting into everything.

He loves his nutriberry treats and is thoroughly enjoying making a mess with one right now on his little sand perch by my computer, though he keeps trying to fly onto my head as I type..

Okay, so I just got him into his cage after a little while of trying to keep him off my head. He seems pretty interested in what is in there when I'm more than 5 feet away, but otherwise wants to find his way out to be on either my wife or myself. Any time outside the cage, he insists on at least being on one of our hands (for a few minutes before deciding it is time to climb higher).

I can see this is going to be amusing! So much energy and it is past his bedtime. I'm a little surprised he is doing this well after the plane ride.

Awww, sounds like Harvey is really enjoying his welcome home party. I'm glad his transition is going so smoothly.

Looking forward to more photos of the handsome little guy!

Wait...wait just a second. :eek:

He's HOME???? And I missed it???

>runs off....looking for the missing links<

Please....you can't do this.....we MUST have photos. Pleeeeease??? Pretty please with Harvey on top?

And since I didn't miss it anywhere.....

WELCOME HOME HARVEY!!!! :jumping40

You must be SO over the moon!!! Let the party get started. :D

This was about 10 minutes after we got him home from the airport. Took that long to get him out of his travel cage. He seemed perfetly fine afterwards.

chocobofun-albums-my-babies-picture14411-front-mirror.jpg

And here he is a a bit later once I got him into his cage.

chocobofun-albums-my-babies-picture14410-cage.jpg

(Sorry they are sideways, but that is how they turned out when I uploaded them through this site. If there is a way to rotate them without re-uploading, I'd be interested in knowing that.)

He is definitely a little baby and still has to learn a few rules. :54:

Oh my gosh, he is BEAUTIFUL!!! :D And look at the smile on YOUR face! Priceless!!!! :D Now I'm sitting here, grinning equally wide, LOL.

Harvey looks quite curious, and not in the least phased that he was on a plane. Breeder must have done a GREAT job with him! :)

I'm sorry, I don't think I can help with the photos. I use Photobucket. (I will try though ;)

He definitely LOVES his boing already! Climbs it a lot, and chews it when not. We put a couple nutriberries in his little foraging toy too, and he seems interested in it, but can't quite figure out how to get them out. Still, he seems to prefer being on us to even that.

He likes us to put food in our hand and eat it out of there (maybe a good excuse to nibble our hands too..), and hasn't really realized the food bowl is a good place to eat from. I don't think he has figured the water bowl out yet. I tried putting him in front of it and splashing the water a little, and he just slowly waddled up my arm to snuggle against my neck instead.

Can I make one wee little suggestion? When you have time, you could replace the dowel that came with the cage with a piece of real wood (like dragonwood for example). It'll help keep his nails trimmed, AND it'll give Harvey more chewing/gnawing opportunities, too, especially if you get a piece of wood with the bark still attached. :) Sometimes dowels 'can' give our fids sore feet because they're just too perfectly round, hard and smooth, if you know what I mean. :)

I bet he'll have his new cage discovered in no time at all, including his water bowl. You and your wife must have made quite the good impression on him that he wants to spend time on you already - snuggling and all. :D

Yeah, I had forgotten the exact size, so didn't buy a replacement for that perch last time we were buying things to add into the cage. He had a pretty hard time gripping it at fist. My wife took one of my (very very many) knives and whacked some notches into it, and he can grip it pretty well now, though I do plan on replacing it eventually.

We have a bee pollen perch/calcium suppliment, a sand perch, manzanita perch, edi-perch, and some stripped wood that I forget which type it was, so he has options at least.

We are about to take the little stinker in for his first vet checkup here. Helps that there is an avian vet at the practice my wife works at. :p Discounts.

Hahn's are very much velcro/clown birds. That is their nature...

SO ARE CAIQUES.

Congrats! He looks very sweet and like he's already made himself right at home:D

Vet checkup all done and well!
Our vet was very impressed with how well behaved and socialized he is.

Now if only we can get the head-climbing thing broken, we will be all good!

He seems to be 'talking' a fair bit now, though it is more like a light squawk and he will sometimes throw his head back when he does it. Kind of cute. He will fly to one of us if we leave him still for more than 2 minutes outside is cage. makes it a little difficult to type.

Glad to see you got your little guy! He's a cutey. How old is he? They do have quite the burst of energy don't they! :) Mine tries to climb up my arm to my shoulder to either my head or the top of the recliner. After I built the playstand, mine isn't as much a Velcro bird, as he is amused and entertained for hours. Seems yours likes toys right away. Mine took a good week or so till he started messing with them. And then it was only when I wasn't looking. :) Looks like you'll have your hands full now :) Every day should bring something new and exciting as he gets acclimated with his new home.

He is just shy of 3 months. Hatched 2-5 of this year.
He does like to climb us a lot more than playing with his toys, and will pick sitting on my shoulder whilst rolling his head backwards and croaking into my ear over playing with his toys.

I suppose flight recall training won't be terribly hard either, since he already flies up to me. His initial preference was to land on my head, but I managed to catch his feet with my hand enough times that he will land there 'most' times now (if my hands are high enough).

Harvey is like a week or 2 younger than my Cosmo. Does Harvey try talking in what sounds like jibberish? Sounds like a big macaw with a squeaky toy voice. :)

The breeder said he knew how to say "step-up", "out", and "night-night", of which we have only heard the last. We call him our little dinosaur because when he does attempt to talk, it sounds more like a croak than the squeek we see in most videos of Hahn's talking.

I'll bet Cosmo is trying really hard too!

Yeah he does the gravely noise too. But then he does what sounds like he tries to talk, but you can't understand anything. I'll try to get it on video sometime soon. He was doing it earlier but he got all hyper and worked his way to his first time out. :)

Well..

4 days in and he is flying to my hand pretty much on command. Or, like today, when he sees that I am home from work (the wife had him out in our bedroom, and opened that door once I got the front door closed).

He says 'night-night' when we turn the lights out at night, 'step up' after we say it or when he wants us to hold him (as opposed to wanting to be on our shoulders), and some grumbling that I am unsure of but is 2 syllables.

He still prefers to eat out of our hand, even if that means just holding the food bowl up for him, but he eats fine on his own when in his cage. Especially when we give him some kale or apples.

Yesterday, he tried to learn to play video games by chewing and pressing the buttons on the controller and squawking at me as if to say "Daddy! Am I doing it right?". Shortly after that, it was my wife's keyboard while she was playing.

Most Reactions

Latest posts

Back