Has anyone tried getting puzzle toys for smart birds?

ImaParrot

Apr 13, 2023
Media
Houston, Texas
Parrots
Turtle (my sister's budgie. Let's be real, I'm taking care of him)
Elvis (budgie)
Olive (budgie)
Niki R.I.P (budgie)

Terry57

Staff member
Super Moderator
Nov 6, 2013
Media
Albums
Spruce Grove, Alberta, Canada
Parrots
Hawkhead(Darwin),YCA(Dexter),VE (Ekko),OWA(Slater),BHP(Talli),DYH(Calypso),RLA(Kimera),Alex(Xander)CBC(Phoe),IRN (Kodee,Luna,Stevie),WCP (Pisces),CAG(Justice)GCC (Jax), GSC2(Charley)
I'd only get wooden toys that are meant for birds, the ones in the first link look like the wood has been treated.

You could put millet in something like this that they would have to forage for:

Parrot Cage Toys Bird Swing Toys 3Pcs Foraging Shredder

Something like this would also work for budgies, although you may have to rotate the wheel for them:

Bird Foraging Toy Seed Food Ball Rotate Wheel

This would also work:

KATUMO Bird Foraging Toy

You can also make a foraging toy using cupcake holders. Foraging provides so much entertainment for birds of all sizes, I'm so happy you're thinking of it for your budgies:)

SailBoat

Supporting Member
Jul 10, 2015
Western, Michigan
Parrots
DYH Amazon
Fully agree, really want to be looking a Parrot directed toys as far too many are not Parrot specific toys use products which are dangerous for them.

I have not had to provide our Amazon toys for smart Parrots as he is far beyond that point, he simply disassembles his cage. We target stuff that he can turn big bits into tiny bits.

We have long visited our local Big Box lumber store or lumber yard looking for soft wood bits of non-treated lumber. They are commonly busy with contractors early morning a before and after lunch hour. Visiting when those folks are not there is best. Note: Size of the bits is very dependent on your Parrot! 2x6 size is okay for Mac's, but not for small Parrots.

Cindylynn

Parrot of the Month 🏆
Apr 7, 2022
Media
Albums

Cindylynn

Parrot of the Month 🏆
Apr 7, 2022
Media
Albums
I've gotten three toys for Pancho from this site! He loves them all, especially the busy barrel with a treat in it! And they are holding up to the macaw beak quite nicely!

wrench13

Staff member
Super Moderator
Parrot of the Month 🏆
Nov 22, 2015
Media
Albums
Isle of Long, NY
Parrots
Yellow Shoulder Amazon, Salty
I like the toys on this site CindyLynn, thanks. Salty makes quick work of any foraging toy I've found. The little bugger figures them out in minutes and then its a matter of seconds to do the puzzle.

Cindylynn

Parrot of the Month 🏆
Apr 7, 2022
Media
Albums
I like the toys on this site CindyLynn, thanks. Salty makes quick work of any foraging toy I've found. The little bugger figures them out in minutes and then its a matter of seconds to do the puzzle.
Having a super smart bird is both a joy and a pain in the neck sometimes! They are so hard to keep busy but it amazing watching their little minds work!

Most Reactions

Latest posts