so-cal
Parrots
1 YNA (Bingo)
1 OWA (Plumas R.I.P.)
1 RLA (Pacho R.I.P.)
2 GCA(Luna,Merlin) The Twins
1 Congo AG (Bella)
5 Cockatiels
Whatā€™s the best way to protect and prevent my birds from smashing into these windows.
I donā€™t want to ruin the view but ā€¦... The Twins crash into the window even when the drapes are closed.
most of the rest of the house has mini blinds.
I can see installing some that are remote controlled.
could be expensive and there is one more window of equal size.
but Does anyone know if these sticker things work for birds on the inside.
they seem mostly geared for birds on the outside.
https://www.amazon.com/Anti-Collisi...a2bdb9df87&ref_=pd_gw_ci_mcx_mr_hp_atf_m&th=1
IMG_1412.jpeg

GaleriaGila

Parrot of the Month šŸ†
May 14, 2016
Cleveland area
Parrots
The Rickeybird, 40-year-old Patagonian Conure
My ol' remedy... do tap-training on walls, windows, other places... I don't show windows or mirrors in this clip, but... same thig applies.

T00tsyd

May 8, 2017
UK
Parrots
Green cheek conure - Sydney (Syd) Hatched 2/2017
I would agree with above. I went all over the house several times introducing Syd to any perils. I let him tap the windows with his beak but also 'flew' him on my fingers to show him safe routes where he could fly. He rarely deviates from those routes and landing positions. If we go into a room he might have forgotten I repeat the process. It has worked so far.

Jcas

Supporting Member
Parrot of the Month šŸ†
Jan 9, 2023
Parrots
Quaker, 2 budgies
My very first budgie hit the windows a few times before he figured it out, but he taught the next bird how to land on the windowsills instead and each subsequent generation of birds has learned from the older birds. That being said, when I bring in a new budgie, I tape squares of paper randomly up on all the windows to give the new bird a visual clue that they canā€™t just fly through. This seems to work well and operates on the same principle as those window cling things so if theyā€™re not expensive, I would say give the stickers a try; it might work!

kme3388

Sep 17, 2021
Minnesota, USA
Parrots
Eclectus Parrot: Nico (male)
Jenday Conure: Kiwi (female)
Thank you for sharing this. I have a sun conure who hit a window really hard prior to me adopting him. Itā€™s believed that he obtained brain damage. Heā€™s a little different than the average conure, but is just as cute! šŸ„° my Jenday is so protective of him. Heā€™s in good hands.

SailBoat

Supporting Member
Jul 10, 2015
Western, Michigan
Parrots
DYH Amazon
The mini-blinds are the best as it also adds to the value of your home!

The stickers work well, especially the ones that look like a Hawk! Hawks tend to be hardwired to all amazons. We have a large Art Exhibit Facility will extensive grounds. When built, their full face glass walls were killing off the wild birds in large numbers.

Of all the methods tried the one that worked the best was the stickers of Hawks!

Not sure what long term (years) on having Hanks' at (on) your windows will affect your Amazons.

Free as a bird

Jul 29, 2023
Parrots
2 cockatiels
Whatā€™s the best way to protect and prevent my birds from smashing into these windows.
I donā€™t want to ruin the view but ā€¦... The Twins crash into the window even when the drapes are closed.
most of the rest of the house has mini blinds.
I can see installing some that are remote controlled.
could be expensive and there is one more window of equal size.
but Does anyone know if these sticker things work for birds on the inside.
they seem mostly geared for birds on the outside.
https://www.amazon.com/Anti-Collision-Window-Stickers-Protect-Strikes/dp/B07YZ54JFW/?_encoding=UTF8&pd_rd_w=VrcgM&content-id=amzn1.sym.d0ebfbb2-6761-494f-8e2f-95743b37c35c:amzn1.symc.50e00d6c-ec8b-42ef-bb15-298531ab4497&pf_rd_p=d0ebfbb2-6761-494f-8e2f-95743b37c35c&pf_rd_r=F5ZA90CQ03JXTQHZZS6N&pd_rd_wg=Ht8p0&pd_rd_r=30f848b8-c030-4e30-bc2d-a3a2bdb9df87&ref_=pd_gw_ci_mcx_mr_hp_atf_m&th=1
View attachment 58128
I'd just like to complement you on your beautiful lounge room, it leads out to a deck overlooking the landscape. No wonder your birds want to fly out there it looks so inciting and inviting.
How about curtains? You can open and close them according to the temperature and mood

OP
texsize

texsize

Supporting Member
Parrot of the Month šŸ†
Oct 23, 2015
Media
so-cal
Parrots
1 YNA (Bingo)
1 OWA (Plumas R.I.P.)
1 RLA (Pacho R.I.P.)
1 Congo AG (Bella)
5 Cockatiels
My ol' remedy... do tap-training on walls, windows, other places... I don't show windows or mirrors in this clip, but... same thig applies.
I like the idea butā€¦..
how do you keep a flighted bird from flying away as you walk around?
might work with some (Merlin, Bella and Baby).
No chance with Luna, Cheeky.

And even after they KNOW itā€™s glass in a panic they may go for it anyhow.

OP
texsize

texsize

Supporting Member
Parrot of the Month šŸ†
Oct 23, 2015
Media
so-cal
Parrots
1 YNA (Bingo)
1 OWA (Plumas R.I.P.)
1 RLA (Pacho R.I.P.)
1 Congo AG (Bella)
5 Cockatiels
I'd just like to complement you on your beautiful lounge room, it leads out to a deck overlooking the landscape. No wonder your birds want to fly out there it looks so inciting and inviting.
How about curtains? You can open and close them according to the temperature and mood
The curtains in our current house are in such bad shape the idea of more curtains is kind of off putting.
But perhaps something shear that lets lots of light but blocks direct view.

OP
texsize

texsize

Supporting Member
Parrot of the Month šŸ†
Oct 23, 2015
Media
so-cal
Parrots
1 YNA (Bingo)
1 OWA (Plumas R.I.P.)
1 RLA (Pacho R.I.P.)
1 Congo AG (Bella)
5 Cockatiels
The mini-blinds are the best as it also adds to the value of your home!

The stickers work well, especially the ones that look like a Hawk! Hawks tend to be hardwired to all amazons. We have a large Art Exhibit Facility will extensive grounds. When built, their full face glass walls were killing off the wild birds in large numbers.

Of all the methods tried the one that worked the best was the stickers of Hawks!

Not sure what long term (years) on having Hanks' at (on) your windows will affect your Amazons.
I like blinds best but ā€¦..
those windows are wide, double the width of the widest mini blinds I could look up in amazon.
maybe have to be custom made.
maybe itā€™s ā€œmission impossible ā€œ
too wide a space for the mini blinds to support themselves (in the middle) if you see what I mean.

SailBoat

Supporting Member
Jul 10, 2015
Western, Michigan
Parrots
DYH Amazon
I like blinds best but ā€¦..
those windows are wide, double the width of the widest mini blinds I could look up in amazon.
maybe have to be custom made.
maybe itā€™s ā€œmission impossible ā€œ
too wide a space for the mini blinds to support themselves (in the middle) if you see what I mean.
It is not uncommon to need a couple of blinds for a wide picture window. The issue of very wide blinds is the lifting weight of the entire blind and when they exceed a given length there is not enough structure to lift and more importantly hold that weight when full up.

Most Reactions