have you ever seen a green taild budgie???

Ezza

Apr 7, 2010
Media
hi everyone,
i have a friend(Ratzy) and she has a budgie with just a green tail. is this wird for a budgie or not cos i have been to her place and it is true. she has been on a budgie club for i don't know how long but people say on there that it might be a new type of mutaion. what do you think.

please tell me what you think so i can get back to ratzy and tell her :greenyellow: :greenyellow:

Last edited:

parrotqueen

Jan 14, 2010
Media
United States
Parrots
Pineapple & Sunshine--Gray/wildtype male cockatiels
As I mentioned before, I have absolutely seen this before, and it's getting more and more common. I see them in the pet stores often. Sorry to disappoint you two, but its not a new mutation. :(

As time goes on, she could quite possibly grow two blue sword feathers.

OP
E

Ezza

Apr 7, 2010
Media
u r in the US arn't u. if u r it might not be as commen in australia as where u r. dosen't matter i will tell her. anyway she won't be that disapointed. poeple who told her that it might be a new multation are australians like us if u arn't. dosen't matter it is her birds not mine

Ratzy

Apr 7, 2010
Media
Hamilton, Victoria, Australia
Parrots
See siggie :)
I'm seeing how he moults out, parrotqueen. Experts have told me to wait and if it doesn't grow out of it breed with him and they'll try to put it up as a new variety. There are people who've been breeding for nearly 50 years and they've never seen anything like it. Some guy bred two from a pair of dusky's and they grew out of it. My birds are not dusky's so I'm seeing how it goes. I'll take your advice into consideration. I'll have a go putting a pic up for you.
049.jpg

parrotqueen

Jan 14, 2010
Media
United States
Parrots
Wow, that is definitely a green tail! On second thought, you might have something there. Still, wait for the molting period to see what happens.

Ratzy

Apr 7, 2010
Media
Hamilton, Victoria, Australia
Parrots
See siggie :)
Yep, I'm waiting for moult. Also, the flight feathers are darkened at the edge. The mum and dad are starting their second clutch. No eggs yet, but lots of mating and arranging the nest box. Another pic of the green tail.
014-1.jpg

With siblings.
076.jpg

Last edited:
OP
E

Ezza

Apr 7, 2010
Media
her bird is going to have a another egg might be a green tail aswell

Mayden

Apr 22, 2010
UK.
Parrots
Merlin & Charlie (Senegals)
As I mentioned before, I have absolutely seen this before, and it's getting more and more common. I see them in the pet stores often. Sorry to disappoint you two, but its not a new mutation. :(

As time goes on, she could quite possibly grow two blue sword feathers.

Can you describe to me what 'two blue sword feathers' are? I'm quiet excited as I believe my Bruce might have those. :D

parrotqueen

Jan 14, 2010
Media
United States
Parrots
Sword feathers are the longest of the tail feathers, usally there are two sword feathers in the center of the tail. This shows a bird's maturity. My cockatiels each have two gray sword feathers in the center of theirs.

The term 'sword feather' is generally used for longer-tailed birds (cockatiels, ringnecks, budgies, macaws, etc).

Last edited:

Colorguarder08

Banned
Banned
Mar 8, 2010
Washington State
Parrots
Riley-white faced grey cockatiel (hatch date 6-28-2014) RIP Halloween-pied cockatiel
My grandmother has two birds almost identical to the one you have pictured there. One was bought from a pet store and one was from someone looking to get rid of there budgies

Most Reactions