Health issue?

Mikey&Levi

Aug 23, 2021
Lebanon
Parrots
Lovebirds
Budgies
Cockatiels
Hi I'm new here so if posted this on the wrong category let me know. I have a month old peach face lovebird who seem do have idk a bone coming out of his right wing? It's not affecting him and feathers are even growing on it as if it were normal. I can't take him to an avian vet cause the only one in my country lives far away.
16297327477828187413398386089507.jpg
16297328414254696694393783984662.jpg

Kitekeeper

Jun 19, 2021
Rio de Janeiro, Brazil
Parrots
Budgerigar (Bud), Pacific Parrotlet (Sam), Roseicollis lovebird (BJ and Turq), Linneolated parakeet (Charlie and Emma)
Welcome!

That´s a beautiful lutino baby you have there.

The structure you showed coming out of the wing is quite odd. You need to check with a veterinarian, even if online only.

If this is a bone the baby need medical attention as a bone coming out of the skin is a freeway for infections.

However, this could also be an abnormal nail as that portion of the wing is where birds short wing finger is located. In the picture below it is the upper short Phalange.

af8c53cd715f8ef0fcf53323bd8b5d75.png

Anyway this baby do need a medical check up.

Good luck

OP
Mikey&Levi

Mikey&Levi

Aug 23, 2021
Lebanon
Parrots
Lovebirds
Budgies
Cockatiels
Welcome!

That´s a beautiful lutino baby you have there.

The structure you showed coming out of the wing is quite odd. You need to check with a veterinarian, even if online only.

If this is a bone the baby need medical attention as a bone coming out of the skin is a freeway for infections.

However, this could also be an abnormal nail as that portion of the wing is where birds short wing finger is located. In the picture below it is the upper short Phalange.

af8c53cd715f8ef0fcf53323bd8b5d75.png

Anyway this baby do need a medical check up.

Good luck
Thanks for the response, I will try and do what's needed hopefully its nothing serious

Laurasea

Aug 2, 2018
USA
Parrots
Full house
it could be a pin feather. Its hard to tell. But new feathers come in covered in a sheath. Once the feather is grown it will crumble and be dry and flake away to reveal the new feather.

As I've had to deal with an outbreak of sickness in my flock before. I always want to stress the importance of tracking weight. A digital kitchen gram scale works great for this. I suggest weekly weight check for life. Nearly all burds will drop weight when something is wrong, or girls will gain weight with eggs giving you a heads up. You go by % of body mass lost. 3% or more something is wrong. Catching health issues at thus stage will save your burds life . As burds hide being sick as a hardwired behavior, when a bud shows its sick by fluffy or weak or nit eating its life threatening and harder to save them.

You should also be a poop checker. Knowing when they have little fecal matter ( not eating) or to much liquid or color change be a sign of issues.

OP
Mikey&Levi

Mikey&Levi

Aug 23, 2021
Lebanon
Parrots
Lovebirds
Budgies
Cockatiels
Laurasea hi, did I reply to you privately or something cause I can't find my answer here lol

Most Reactions

Latest posts