Health Question

Katrina38

Mar 23, 2022
Parrots
Roscoe- english budgie
Sadly, our beloved Roscoe had to be euthanized last Friday. He was only 10months old and the hole it is leaving for us is beyond. However, I have some questions about what happened to him and I am very curious if anyone with an English Budgie has had this happen. He woke up one morning (back at the beginning of September) and was holding one foot up like he had fallen or hurt himself overnight. After it not improving in 2 days to the vet we went for round 1 - antibiotics and inflammation/ pain meds. He wasn't improving at all. Round 2 at the vet and they basically said they thought he would just be handicapped for life. We weren't taking that for an answer and went to a different avian vet for x-rays, blood work and 2 different meds. The x-rays showed the bone in his foot almost deteriorating and the other foot looked fine. On the new meds and slowly he started to use that foot again (yay), only to days later have the other foot not be useable. Fast forward multiple weeks and all of a sudden he couldn't use either foot. Meds were changed up again. By the end he could fly just fine, however, when he landed he couldn't really move again. We were feeding him, giving him meds 2xs a day and taking shifts letting him basically sleep on us all day everyday. This is the last picture I took of him.. he flew into the bathroom (because god forbid I leave him.. haha) and that his him on the shelf waiting for me to get ready - barely able to keep his eyes open and losing function of his head as well (in the last week). We finally knew his suffering had to of been too much. Which brings me to has anyone ever had this happen? Two vets and no answers (and one vet I trust and know she is very good at what she does). One mentioned it could be because of inbreeding in English Budgies. I'd like to think we would get another one in the future, but I'm really afraid this may be a common thing with them. I would love to hear stories and have a better understanding.
IMG_1156.jpg

Littleredbeak

May 27, 2020
Awe what a sweet ❤💙💜 I am so very sorry for your loss.

Was he ever diagnosed ?

OP
Katrina38

Katrina38

Mar 23, 2022
Parrots
Roscoe- english budgie
Awe what a sweet ❤💙💜 I am so very sorry for your loss.

Was he ever diagnosed ?
Thank you - I put the full health journey above. No one could actually figure it out besides for something possibly degenerative from inbreeding. That is why I would love to know if anyone has experienced any similar health things and/or heard about similar issues with english budgies.

HeatherG

Apr 25, 2020
Poor little fellow. I haven’t heard of this but then again I’m not a budgie breeder or expert. I’m wondering if he had bumble foot that wasn’t detected on both feet. And that could have many contributing factors. Even just being a bit less “robust” could mean immune system issues predisposing infection.

I’m very sorry. They are little feathered jewels. Remember that he loved you and you loved him. The love of a bird is precious.

Most Reactions