Heart wings

Suzysmilez

Feb 22, 2021
Texas
Parrots
Indian ringneck and 2 cockatiels
My one year old male ringneck (dna confirmed) does heart wings randomly but not in front of a mirror. Is this typical for the breed? My little male tiel does it constantly but he also has a little lady in the cage with him (I didn’t mean to get a pair, I just wanted a cinnamon pied and it ended up being a hen). I saw where a male ringneck should do that pose in front of a mirror but I have yet to see him do that.

SilverSage

Sep 14, 2013
Columbus, GA
Parrots
Eclectus, CAG, BH Pionus, Maximilian’s Pionus, Quakers, Indian Ringnecks, Green Cheeked Conures, Black Capped Conures, Cockatiels, Lovebirds, Budgies, Canaries, Diamond Doves, Zebra Finches, Society F
It’s a flirtatious/attention grabbing pose. Hopefully he doesn’t have a mirror to do it into in the first place since those just add to potential confusion and frustration.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
S

Suzysmilez

Feb 22, 2021
Texas
Parrots
No, he doesn’t have a mirror in his cage. I know they aren’t good for birds to have. He does however have one when he goes into my bathroom with me. It’s a huge one and he’s not close to it. He has a play stand he sits on while I put my makeup on. He was never inside a house at the former owner's home so I try to make him part of the routine. The other owner had an “aviary” outside the house so I wanted him to know that he is not going to be locked away in a room anymore.

ctwo

May 16, 2019
Parrots
Mango the Indian Ringneck and Peach the Cockatiel; Kiwi found a new home
Mine does that occasionally, usually when something threatening happens, such as when I walked into his room while holding my backpack. I peaked in and said Hi Mango, then walked in and, when he saw the backpack, stood up tall, pinned his eyes, and made heart wings. I console him by saying It's OK Mango and he usually goes back to comfort.

Jottlebot

Aug 29, 2012
Shropshire, UK
Parrots
Orange-winged Amazon - RIP Charlie,
Spock - Common Mynah,
McCoy - Alexandrine
My Alexandrine does it occasionally to me when I walk into the room or if I look at him when I haven't for a while, like if I'm watching TV.

Is he doing it at you?

OP
S

Suzysmilez

Feb 22, 2021
Texas
Parrots
He doesn’t seem stressed when he does it and sometimes it’s when I’m by him but other times it’s when he’s on his cage just out and hanging. I know he’s still young so I didn’t know what age ringnecks tend to do that assuming they mature later than cockatiels.

Most Reactions

Latest posts