Heater for cage in winter

FenixGrey2

New member
Joined
Aug 10, 2026
Messages
3
Reaction score
10
Location
Wisconsin
Parrots
Timneh African Grey
Hi all,

With winter approaching, I'm wondering if I should get Fenix a heat source for his cage. We keep the house at least 65 degrees at all times but I wonder if he would prefer to be a bit warmer. Do any of you use a heat source in the winter for your parrots?
I've seen a lot of talk and positive reviews about this one that attaches to the inside of the cage. It would only warm him up if he was close to it.

I've also read that ceramic heat emitters are a good option as well, since it doesn't emit light and can stay on all day. I use a ceramic heat emitter for my box turtle and know they work well and last a long time. Obviously this would need to be in a safe fixture outside the cage.

Thanks!
 
I have NEVER used a seperate heater for our birds. What I do is make sure that the area they are in, has NO drafts. We cover them at night due to lighting, but during the winter it also helps keep their area warmer.
We keep our heat on 68 during the winter. For both the humans and the birds I use mini humidifiers in various areas of the house. Moist air is warmer than dry air. In addition it helps both the humans with dry skin as well as the birds feathers. My understanding is that parrots can tolerate 65 degree temps which you mentioned you have your house set at. The issue with parrots is going from one extreme to another. They can handle a constant temp, but cannot tolerate a huge drop in temp.
 
Hi all,

With winter approaching, I'm wondering if I should get Fenix a heat source for his cage. We keep the house at least 65 degrees at all times but I wonder if he would prefer to be a bit warmer. Do any of you use a heat source in the winter for your parrots?
I've seen a lot of talk and positive reviews about this one that attaches to the inside of the cage. It would only warm him up if he was close to it.

I've also read that ceramic heat emitters are a good option as well, since it doesn't emit light and can stay on all day. I use a ceramic heat emitter for my box turtle and know they work well and last a long time. Obviously this would need to be in a safe fixture outside the cage.

Thanks!
I use that heater in a number of my cages. Some birds make use of it and others don’t.
You may need to protect the wire from their beak.
 
Back
Top Bottom