Hello all

Maxwells

May 21, 2014
Iowa
Parrots
Taco a 3yr old blue front amazon, also 3 budgies Frick, Frack & Tweetie.
Got my wife a blue front amazon as a rescue on mothers day. Taco is 3yrs old and sofar a good talker but spent most of his prior life in a cage. We have him spend as much time as possible outside his cage. But the sad part is hes bit my wife 2x's. I feel that he just needs time to adjust to the new environment. Any suggestions.

Kiwibird

Jul 12, 2012
Parrots
1 BFA- Kiwi. Hatch circa 98', forever home with us Dec. 08'
Welcome to the forum, and congrats on your new addition! Gotta love the name too, "Taco", it just makes you want to smile :D We also have a rescue BFA, though he's been with us for about 6 years now and is a bit older than Taco (Kiwi is about 16 y/o). Theres actually a lot of BFA owners on here, so welcome to the BFA (Beautiful & Fabulous Amazons) club! We'd love to see some pictures of him!

Anyways, you are absolutely right that he needs some time. Depending on how much being caged/prior owners mistakes affected him, he could start warming up soon or later. That all depends on the individual. Our bird took several years to come out of his shell. Time and patience heals all wounds with these guys:) So you know, ALL parrots, even the most bonded, loving, normally sweet ones bite on occasion. Doesn't matter how long you've had them or how much you love them/they love you, that's just an inherent quality of parrots. Luckily, amazons are pretty easy to predict (and avoid!) a bite from- watch their EYES and body language. When the pupils of their eyes dilate paired with a 'crouched' stance and flared tail, that is usually a good sign you better watch out. Zons also tend to do better with a firm and authoritative stance than other birds. If you aren't 'top bird' they will happily fill that role, and will rule the roost so to speak by using their beaks. While you should NEVER yell at a bird, if you are telling him to "step up" for instance, using a firm tone of voice with a confidently placed hand and body language usually gets better results than acting afraid or timid. I also strongly suggest stick-training amazons along with stepping up. Amazons are notorious for getting totally overstimulated at times (which translates to aggression) and that becomes a situation where it's better for everyone if the bird can ride the stick home or to their play stand to calm down. You may also want to look into 'bite pressure' training. One last thing, amazons tend to be 'one person' birds, and they pick the person. Unfortunately, your wife may simply never be Taco's favored person. That doesn't mean he cannot be trained to tolerate and even like her, but you can't force a bird to love you. Kiwi was *suppose* to be MY bird. Honestly, my hubby didn't even want a pet, but I begged and pleaded after my beardie passed and he caved. Naturally, Kiwi fell head over heels in love with my husband and I had to spend a long time (several years) working with him so he trusted me and wouldn't eat me. I did put in the effort, so I can now reap the rewards. I may not be his 'favorite', but we're 'good friends' and he enjoys hanging out with me while I'm cleaning and coming on walks/car rides with me, so I'm satisfied. Anyways, best of luck with Taco. Look forward to hearing more on his progress.

antoinette

Supporting Member
Jul 6, 2009
Media
Sunny South Africa !!!
Parrots
African "Grey"
"Mishka"
Male
7 Years old
Welcome to our awesome forum
Your bird definitely needs time to settle down and adjust to the new surroundings.
Everything is new and strange, lots of adjustments to be made and to get used to.
Let him make the call, when he wants to come out he will when he is ready and willing.

Most Reactions

Latest posts