Hello Everybody

petec

Jan 26, 2018
Illinois, USA
Parrots
Amazon Blue Crown
Born 11/1977
What a great forum for Parrot lovers.

I've had Kika now 40 years. She is an Amazon Blue Crown.

My two grandchildren are mesmerized by Kika these days.

Welcome to you and kika both!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Welcome! I'm glad you're here.
Please, if you like, share your tips and ideas on parrot care... obviously, you're doing things well!

Welcome to you and Kika! Would love to see more pics of her and learn more about her. If I am not mistaken, a blue crown is a subspecies of mealy amazons correct? Was she a wild caught or hand raised? My parents got 2 amazons in the 1970s (their hand fed one passed away last year but their wild caught is still very healthy). They were wonderful to grow up around, hopefully your grandchildren will have many more years to enjoy Kika and maybe grow up to be parrot owners themselves:)

Last edited:
We welcome you and and a very senior Kika! You've certainly given her wonderful care!

Thank you for the nice welcome.

Kika came from the wild (Brazil) and I did feed her with a nose dropper for a bit when she was a baby. Also would make up a breakfast cereal with eggs and stuff. She is the largest of the Amazon Parrots and closer to a small Macaw in size. (and very slow moving).

She is as mentioned a Blue Crown Mealy or also known as a Guatemalan Amazon. When young she had just a touch of blue on her head and over the years the blue extended to all of the top of her head (crown). She did pass through Mexico where I was told she was on the endangered species list for Mexico (but she wasn't from Mexico any how).

Coming back to the Midwest in the 80's found a local feed store near my home and would custom build here food using mixtures of seeds and pellets et al. The feed store is still there and I do a visit every few months and it is still owned by descendants of the original owners (which I watched grow up). She also has a little bowel which I give her a bit of different fruit every day plus sometimes her favorite left overs. She is picky and will ask for what she wants to eat by running here beak near one of her food bowels and saying food when she sees something she likes (well like mash potatoes or noodles). She lives in the breakfast nook of the kitchen and has an old (30 years old now) palm tree and lime tree next to her cage and always will ask for attention while my wife and I talk. My children / grandchildren today (old) consider her just an older sibling.

Today she coos me and curses at my wife. IE: Wife and her will get in to a verbal altercation; then when I come in to the room she will coo me and tell me that she loves me. In the last couple of years she has become attached to a little blanket which I give her at night when going to bed. She wraps herself around the blanket to sleep.

Last edited:
Wow. That's a beautiful story.

Many more happy years to you all.

Cant wait to see pictures of your macaw sized amazon.

Most Reactions

Latest posts

Back